The Last Of Us
  • Moto70 wrote:
    I bought First Blood on BluRay a few months ago, shame the rest of the films ruined the view of those that haven't seen it.

He doesn't actually kill anyone in it, which really hardly anyone acknowledged. Unless you count the idiot leaning out the chopper.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • So, winter down.
    Spoiler:
    I quite enjoyed
    Spoiler:
    Spring half (estimate) down.
    Spoiler:
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Finished it. Pretty good, and probably one of the better story games Ive played in recent years. Also probably one of the better zombie stories since World War Z (book) and pisses all over the rubbish that is Walking Dead and all the nonsensical dumb-dumb decisions that cast of characters make. It doesnt live up to the retarded hyperbole circulating the wider interwebs however.

My complaints would be:
    1. Gameplay is stock standard action-adventure. This means a bit of being led by the nose.
    2. Scrounging around for collectibles becomes tedious (Deus Ex-ish)
    3. Some insta-kill scenarios result in farcical levels of replay-replay-replay-replay. At least loading is quick.
    4. It's very linear (an open small country town would be ace).
    5. Some AI enemies spaz out in ways Ive not seen since Rainbow Six 3 terrorist hunts. Soldier runs in circles then you go to grab him and he pins you to the wall.

Now for the praises
    1. Visuals - is this really running on PS3? Framerate was smooth as silk too.
    2. Atmosphere - some incredibly tense moments, especially in lower levels of abandoned buildings.
    3. Weapon upgrade/crafting system - simple, but fun. Like in MGS3 sort of.
    4. The characters were plausible. No Jesus-syndrome like Halo/Mass Effect etc.
    5. Gunplay was great. Lots of weapons to try out and led to some very adaptable combat situations. I really think this could be expanded on in a town siege scenario too.

All in all a good fun game with some minor niggles and a major improvement on Uncharted 3 (and 2 for that matter). 9 shattered testicles out of 10.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I couldn't agree any more about having set in an open-world environment.

I wait with bated breath for whatever ND do on the PS4.
  • Re-reading that, I sound more negative than I mean to. I did enjoy it vastly more than I expected to, but am a bit subdued because it wasn't new. Kind of like how the second Hobbit movie was really enjoyable, but held no surprises.

For me, the highlight was Winter.
  • I have no issue with linear. An open small country town sounds very much like State of Decay. Which I like, but is a totally different experience.

I might play it again with more focus on firearms. I barely ever used them.
  • Vela wrote:
    Re-reading that, I sound more negative than I mean to.

Nah, I got what you meant, fully agree &, like you, also enjoyed it.  Also enjoyed reading your updates.
  • I think points 1-3 and maybe 4 are non-complaints. More personal preferences or personal experience. For example I didn't have to do any scrounging or die much. And I quite like linear compared to open world.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I am considering getting some Last Of Us artwork. Digital prints. Mounted on acrylic glass. Same place as my Journey one, from Cook and Becker.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I think points 1-3 and maybe 4 are non-complaints. More personal preferences or personal experience. For example I didn't have to do any scrounging or die much. And I quite like linear compared to open world.

Thats a fair call. When I say linear vs open world, 'I'm very much bastardising the latter term. I mean open in the sense of say, MGS3 which has a very open if linear feel to it. And a real sense of coherence to the setting. I dont mean Oblivion or GTA.

When I say I'd like an open town siege, I'd be happy with something on the scale of Groznyj Grad

• Started this last night, so far totally not what I was expecting. I felt totally deflated when I dropped into the first shooty area with a liberal spattering of crates organised in no discernable way other then to provide cover. Having just meet the girl, and guessing what's going on because I've seen children of men, I'm feeling a little indifferent. Hoping it picks up.
  • That echoes my thoughts at the time too.

I found it an enjoyable game, but you can see the strings behind the curtain and when all the pieces are in place for a bit of action.

I thought it was going to be a bit like The Road. It has a few superficial similarities, but I think it stands on its own two feet in that genre.

My advice would be to play the first chapter (you'll know when it ends) and by then I was happy to continue.

If youre playing on normal I'd say its about a 12-15hr campaign.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I'd say go up a difficulty level as well, even for your first playthrough.
  • Go Survivor for the most tension and excitement + no wall hack (listen mode) crutch. 

I felt my interest dip for a bit after the opening as well, but I was soon re-captivated by it.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I would have struggled with no wall hack!
  • It's not that bad really. I just found myself moving the camera around (from cover) a lot more to keep track of what was going on around me. I'd already done a normal run so I remembered a lot of the encounters too. Reckon the game would be properly scary, and tense, on a Survivor-first run through.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    That it certainly would.
  • I actually forgot about the wall hack anyway, and ended up playing through it without without too much hassle. The burning restaurant was a complete bastard though. Anyway, it shouldn't have had a wall hack in the first place, made no sense.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    It was a decent enough way of representing irl awareness, I thought.  He can hear stuff nearby, it's not that much of a stretch for a videogame.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It should've amplified their footsteps and noises. Thief Mode.
  • Played a couple more hours, stuck in a room being insta killed by a clicker. I just want to sneak past and escape I don't want to spend hours fighting zombies.
  • Headshots. One will do.

It's not a game about relentless zombie battles. But I experienced your same frustration. Keep going.
  • I snuck past nearly all of them.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    So when's this DLC out? 14th?
  • Tried the new maps out tonight to re-aquaint myself with the controls in time for the new dlc (hometown is stunning) and got comprehensively brutalised by an obnoxiously levelled team (800+2X600+400) repeatedly...I'm lvl 19. 

Until I ditched my care bear (are you ok there, crappy team mate?) support class, to try out the Military Sniper. Holy shit this thing is absolutely-beastly. One-shotting fools from miles away. Held my own, and better no matter how American my team-mates turned out to be. This is the way forward, 'tis a thing of beauty - at lest until ND nerf it.
  • Hmm, disregard the above. Played a few more games tonight and found that without decent teamates to pin the enemy back you are screwed. Nothing OP here. MP is absolutely lone wolf proof.
  • Just completed this again. Lovely stuff.

As a side note, considering how wonderful everything looks in this game, the menu (especially the bonus menu and purchasing/unlocking content) is an utter mess of unnecessary steps.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/02/13/new-last-us-left-behind-dlc-trailer-debuts/

Handily it goes live at 6 a.m. GMT. Will start the download, and set the venerable PStriple to turn itself off when complete. Can't wait to play this tomorrow night.
  • Same here. Hope to play it to the end over the weekend. Everything else can wait.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!