The Last Of Us
  • I'm nearly thirteen hours into the single player on this.  It's a long game, isn't it?  It doesn't feel like it's drawing to a close at all either.  It took me around eight hours to fully appreciate it though - as much as I liked certain aspects of it, the instant deaths/monotonous searching for items was grinding me down a bit.  I think the last game I played where I had to be really careful with my ammo/avoid enemies was Code Veronica. 

It's all clicked in the past couple of days though, possibly because I'm not rationing my time with it as I'm off work.  It won't be a [10] for me, but it's a cracking game.
  • Are you playing on hardest setting? I played on setting just below that and ammo management was not required.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Default setting.  I've had no ammo for my shotgun for hours.
  • Eek. Bad luck. I did find myself running out of ammo on certain weapons, but I'd have some on other less used ones. Didn't find myself having to look around, I just came across ammo during normal rummaging.

The game does start off really slowly, but by the end you are left wondering why other games can't be this good.
  • I was tripping over ammo and items. Wish I'd had your game.
  • Constantly missing the head shots I've been lining up probably hasn't helped my cause.  Plus I haven't bothered doing any sneaking for a while - I've been playing it like Uncharted without the regenerating health.  I've constantly had full bombs/medipacks/shivs etc though.
  • What a bloody fantastic ending.  Loved it.
  • Ign have put up a teaser video for the Story Dlc!:

• All signs point to a Feb 14th, Valentine's Day release for the 'Left Behind' Dlc:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-15-the-last-of-us-left-behind-release-date-spotted
  • So combat in this is a bit clunky on first impression, obviously I have to learn something.

Just up to the first real encounter with clickers and other infected people in that leaning building in the rain. Ten restarts and I'm done for the day, but any tips for when I get back to it this evening?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • What difficulty you playing it on? I just hide and learn their walking patterns, creep up and shiv their heads etc. Should have plenty of bottles and bricks lying around that you can smash their faces with too. Throw a bottle somewhere away from you to distract them etc.
  • Take out the clicker early so that you can run around in a shooty panic if it doesn't go to plan.

It was definitely a difficulty spike for me so don't let it put you off just yet.
  • I killed did sneaky sneaky stabby stabby. I think I had to lure them out of their pattern a couple of times to get the kill unseen.
  • Just playing on the normal difficulty, and I seem to have some shivs. I'll report back once I get past this bit.

As Riddick said, 'Wanna live? Get a shiv' - rightyo.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • A shooty section just after firing up a generator was the main spike for me.  Lots of deaths. Got quite annoyed.
  • Using bricks to kill clickers was my regular deal, just had to remember its a noisy method.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    A shooty section just after firing up a generator was the main spike for me.  Lots of deaths. Got quite annoyed.
    That wasn't a shooty section for me, it was a run the fuck away section.
  • Playing the game like Uncharted was probably my downfall. 
    Spoiler:
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Playing the game like Uncharted was probably my downfall. 
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

I can't imagine playing this like Uncharted. The times it forced me into gunplay felt a little off.
  • The spoiler made me laugh.  I get impatient with sneaking in games.  I'd rather die multiple times in a section due to incompetent gun skills than die once after holding the crouch button for 5 minutes.
  • Played up til Fall Autumn today.

Notable bits:
    Spoiler:
    Also, the game has put me straight back into Deus Ex HR "compulsively check every room/drawer/nook/cranny" mode.

It's better than Uncharted 3 (not hard, that game was pants) but it still has the same annoying bits (ie deaths you cant do anything about). At least restarts are very quick.
  • And now I am up to 'Winter' (I assume the statute of limitations on spoilers does not mean chapter names are out?).

If anything, I would have to say I far prefer fighting humans than zombies. Visuals are astounding for 8 year old hardware. very good regardless of hardware running it - more impressive than any ps4/xb1 games Ive seen.

Deus Ex syndrome (rifle through every nook and cranny) means I am never without ammo or medkits though.
  • I had a shitload of ammo as I only engaged enemies in shoot outs when I had to, much preferred sneaking about and stealth killing.
  • Yeah, I barely ever shot a gun. Didn't kill anyone unless I had to, which led to some annoying segments like where I had to kill everyone because the game wanted to play a cutscene where an enemy comes from nowhere and knees you in the face.
  • I kill everyone except the big ones. There was one tense bit in a building in the Fall chapter.
    Spoiler:
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I loved the bow in this game and would have loved to have had a NG+ playthrough.
  • They could build a First Blood game around that mechanic alone.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Also, the game has put me straight back into Deus Ex HR "compulsively check every room/drawer/nook/cranny" mode.

I know that feeling. Fallout 3 was a nightmare, every container in the game got poked through. Oh, here's some detergent. Great.

Vela wrote:
    They could build a First Blood game around that mechanic alone.

That was on tv last night. There's a Rambo game coming out isn't there?
  • Vela wrote:
    I kill everyone except the big ones. There was one tense bit in a building in the Fall chapter.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I bought First Blood on BluRay a few months ago, shame the rest of the films ruined the view of those that haven't seen it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!