theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    The game’s being developed by Hammerpoint Interactive, a new developer.
    Not exactly EA or Ubi
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    It could have a minecraft style traction if they put enough plasters on it. It really is crying for something bespoke or beefier to handle it all... Looks good fun from what I've seen. Holding out for when it's fixed.

Edit: nice looking linky Chump. It seems that a permadeath zombie MMO style thing is one of The Next Big Things then. My crusty Mac might eventually die/irritate me into window projectile in a year or so. Plenty of time to get it right you various dev peeps.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • isanbard wrote:
    I see this as becoming a big dev push in the future though. A free bodged mod on a creaking last gen, esoteric, semi military engine is not the final solution here methinks.  The amount of noise it's generating surely means we're minutes away from EA, Ubi et al announcing a revolutionary new gaming platform they've created about zombie survival with perma-death, big maps, spawning loot etc.  Given my crusty old mac would melt if I even tried to install this buggy alpha thing perhaps you folks have a better idea; who would make this into a decent mass product. Rocket seems a lovely chap but solo and Arma 2 won't sell it IMHO. Has it been whispered to get released on the Arma 3 engine? Is that going to be as buggy and shite (learn to love it, get used to it's 'foibles' yadda yadda) as Arma 2 is? Who/what engine would make it better?
    I gotta say I don't think day Z would be day Z if it wasn't on the Arma engine. Sure, you could do it on a different engine but it just wouldn't be the same game. Arma gets slammed quite a bit for it's bugs/crappy netcode etc. but the size and complexity isn't really matched by any other engine.

The other thing i've noticed is in interviews with Rocket how determined he is to stick to his vision, if this had been put out there by EA or Ubisoft they would have changed the spawn system in less than a week so that you could spawn on your friends instantly, thus making death quite meaningless and instantly turning it into something like every other shooter out there.

The Arma 3 engine is the Arma 2 Engine with added features, just like Arma 2 was built upon the Arma engine etc. Last I heard it will be using features that are coming in Arma 3 like the improved physics/animation and will have it's own UI, so it will use the same engine and features that can be shared but it will be an entirely different game. The fact that all the buildings will be enterable will also make a huge difference - in summary, we don't need Day Z on another engine or made by different developers, we need more games that use the Arma 3 engine!:)
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Sounds frisky Pie! I had seen a couple of demos of Arma 3 from a recent show (CES, Pax, something else...) and it looked quite a good deal better. 

As purely a viewer and not a player Arma 2 does seem to have a... errr... unique UI for just about every possible action and be poorly developed in that respect. You may be able to do everything but it seems to need two faqs open on a second screen to all make sense? Apologies if this is all just the initial hurdle of getting accustomed to it all and it could become second nature after a while of course but that is the impression I picked up. 

If it gets punted quite easily onto Arma 3 then it could very well be unstoppable. Access to every building and an attempt at things such as doors and ladders to be made slightly less fatal could push me towards some form of PC upgrade.

I can see we're not too far away from the horrific CODification of it in some form too; it's just too popular for the majors to ignore.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    There's a point when "charmingly frustrating because it's a mod" crosses the line into simply frustrating.

I think the problem I have with it is it isn't a game. It's unrelentingly difficult, from your first step. The game is as difficult for me as it is for someone with dozens of hours in one character. I'd love to get to this "man is the real enemy" stage the pseuds have been creaming their keks over but everytime I play it becomes obvious that's never going to happen.
  • It is a game to lots of people though. Don't think it would be to me, sounds like way too much hard work but challenge is something that some people love. Starcraft 2 is a brutally hard game but there are many, many old school sc players who prefer brood due in part because the mechanical skill required was even higher. Some peoples tolerance for difficulty is much higher than mine is.
    GT: Knight640
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    ArmA II was the same experience albeit in a different scenario. There weren't any CoD'esque town shoot up's, if the enemy saw you there was a very, very high probability that you would be looking at a respawn screen. It is all about planning, taking your time and using the limited equipment that you had.

Console'land is a much worse place for the lack of games like this.
  • Starting this now looks tricky. If other players are armed and know their way round the island, you're not going to be much more than cannon fodder. Noob servers would make sense, but of course people would game that. Great concept, but I'm not convinced that the final release will be much more than a big hardcore shooter with players rushing for the best weapons on day one.

On a more positive note, I thought that it looked like the Zombie game on the Wii had been influenced by this, that's a start. We can hope that developers take some of the ideas on board, things like one life modes in MP titles aren't expensive to implement, they just need some thought.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Found this chat about Arma 3 and the Z. Very promising stuff really, 3 looks much prettier, they make the right noises about balance and gamey drama and Rocket pops up at the end to talk about radios and keeping his eye on the ball.

Will have to do a Mod and spend a weekend putting together a selection of PC innard Tetris eventually then. 2 pints of cash a week into the piggy bank it is then...
  • I jumped on briefly on this the other day, still alive in the same place I was over a month ago when I last played, got attacked through building doors annoyingly and now I have the shakes so I can do fuck all. I've got a bit of stuff (toolbox, quite a few blood packs etc) so don't want to start again. Does anyone fancy joining me for a game sometime?

My current location is at 052 098, (just East of Pulkova).

I was thinking we could even sort a live stream for the people here who want to 'join in' but don't have capable PCs could watch us play and chat along with us for the craic.
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    Gonzo wrote:
    Yeah, DayZ is what it is - accept no cheap / expensive imitations. Haven't played it, but once the standalone comes out it will make me part with, say, 600 quid to get a PC that can run it. Because the vision that the game portrays is something I wanna be a part of- survive from day one, meet new people, take a chance or take them out, etc etc. One shot kill, distance snipes, every day survival, the shakes etc... no other game will incorporate this. Difficulty be sodden, the reward is a journey into a social experiment. Gotta be worth it.

What he said
    rest less
  • I would love to play this but i can't help but agree with some of the sentiments of people's earlier posts. This will be ruined by gamers. Take a chance or kill will inevitably turn into kill or kill.

They need to some how include real incentive to join forces with people, there needs to be some gentle coaxing toward cooperation so the choice is more of a conundrum.
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    I would love to play this but i can't help but agree with some of the sentiments of people's earlier posts. This will be ruined by gamers. Take a chance or kill will inevitably turn into kill or kill. They need to some how include real incentive to join forces with people, there needs to be some gentle coaxing toward cooperation so the choice is more of a conundrum.

yeah but isn't that the point? The "gamers" you may be referring to are the ones that a group of like-minded individuals need to help each other avoid/defend against/etc. Strength in numbers and then you die etc......the classic zombie scenario is always a survivalist nightmare against humans....
    rest less
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Unfortunately this is nothing like that.

You're lucky to see one human. What you will see are hundreds and hundreds of infi spawning zombies right next to anything of use.
  • It is for some people though.
    GT: Knight640
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Well I've played a couple of dozen sessions now and they've always gone the same way. If some people are experiencing this man is the real enemy stuff then bully for them.

Anyone here had an experience even remotely similar to the ones being waxed lyrical?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    I was thinking we could even sort a live stream for the people here who want to 'join in' but don't have capable PCs could watch us play and chat along with us for the craic.

I would really really like this!
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Arma Combined Ops is on the Steam Sale. Six pounds to experience this is bargain of the year.
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    I grabbed Arma 2 on Steam as I already had the other one, I want to keep it all together. Il be on this again once im on the new machine. I havent read about any updates for a while so I better get looking into that!
    Checkout my site: www.gertlushgaming.co.uk  Friend Code: 1392-5016-6947. Town: Brizzle Name:Jim
  • Get DayZ commander. Saves a lot of hassle. 

This game is really something, although frankly, it makes one worry for the human condition. There are some absolute fuckers out there.
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    gonna wait for the PS4 version methinks......can't be arsed with all the hassle with the PC one.
    rest less
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    Get DayZ commander. Saves a lot of hassle.  This game is really something, although frankly, it makes one worry for the human condition. There are some absolute fuckers out there.

tried out that dayz commander on my mates laptop, Fuck its a brilliant bit of kit. Installing updates or new maps is just a button click away. Even set it up so it will boot steam and then the game! Seriously impressed and found some great servers.
    Checkout my site: www.gertlushgaming.co.uk  Friend Code: 1392-5016-6947. Town: Brizzle Name:Jim
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Louiecat wrote:
    gonna wait for the PS4 version methinks......can't be arsed with all the hassle with the PC one.
    same here.
    I jumped on briefly on this the other day, still alive in the same place I was over a month ago when I last played, got attacked through building doors annoyingly and now I have the shakes so I can do fuck all. I've got a bit of stuff (toolbox, quite a few blood packs etc) so don't want to start again. Does anyone fancy joining me for a game sometime? My current location is at 052 098, (just East of Pulkova). I was thinking we could even sort a live stream for the people here who want to 'join in' but don't have capable PCs could watch us play and chat along with us for the craic.

i would watch this.

i watch loads of day z stuff......particularly frankie on pc in 1080p and jack frags channels.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Aye, I'd be interested in watching a group of you get chewed up by the zeds too. Get on it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Blimey Davie, that Pie quote is from September 2012!

Hope someone gets it going this time.
  • Blimey Davie, that Pie quote is from September 2012! Hope someone gets it going this time.
    We could still sort it out sometime but probably best waiting for the proper game release now. I don't think the Alpha for that will be too long away now.
  • Wonder if pie is still there...holed up...waiting for allies to arrive..running low on supplies...

Edit: See above...probably not then!

(and actually, I'd watch a B&B Z stream like that too)
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Any news on the stand-alone version? He's certainly taking his time, i'll say that much.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!