Day Z
  • Argh. Just seen this now :( Been on it all night too. Worked North all night with 4 friends and aiming to get towards Devil's Castle (I think it's called). Ended sat in a forest with a fire going cooking the cow we'd just gutted and everyone giving each other blood transfusions, haha.
    Ah no worries, i'll make my way up towards Devils Castle tomorrow - just let me know next time you guys are playing in the thread here. Are you Big Tuna on steam or is that someone else? (I done a search for thehumantarget but nothing came up).
  • I'm already on your Steam friends. I don't play it through Steam though as I use that Six Updater program as it's really good for keeping it updated and you can launch the servers from there.
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • Yeah, I don't play through steam either but I was thinking of sending a message but I wasn't sure if Big Tuna was you.
  • Yeah, it is. I've changed my sig now so it's not as confusing. I just presumed it was humantarget as that's what I type to log in :\
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    OK, I've bought ARMA II Combined Ops, it should be downloaded in...8 hours.

How do I make Day Z come on my screen, and play with someone.

Bought a Steam code from BI (thanks for the top/link Pie) so that's where it's coming from, if that's relevant. Steam name is ubermod.
  • Try the video tutorial on the DayZ site, failing that you'll probably need someone talking you through it. It's not console-straightforward, not achingly tricky either though. I think a later edition might be cutting out all the user-install headache, but I don't know where they are with that.

Main point is, you need the correct updated versions to have a chance of getting on the servers.
  • J1m1
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Beelzespud
    Xbox
    Beelzespud
    Steam
    Beelzespud

Send message
    I've found Six Updater an essential tool for various mods on ARMA.

http://www.six-updater.net/

It'll check the version of any mods you have and update them if necessary.  Bit fiddly to setup but worth the effort.
    Live/Steam - Beelzespud
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
  • J1m1 wrote:
    I've found Six Updater an essential tool for various mods on ARMA. http://www.six-updater.net/ It'll check the version of any mods you have and update them if necessary.  Bit fiddly to setup but worth the effort.

Yep. It's really easy with Six Updater. It does everything for you. My friend set it up in 30 seconds yesterday.
  • I noticed that pcgamer article is out of date as it mentions bandit skins (which are no longer currently part of the mod). Anyway, i'll post this so it is as simple as possible without the need for lots of reading:

Download and install Arma patch 1.60
    Download and install the latest beta patch
    Download six updater and run six launcher

Also install mumble as we'll likely use that for chat at some point.

Six launcher lets you install/update the mod automatically along with a few other popular mods. Six updater let you install hundreds of other arma mods from maps to sounds to new armies etc.

When you want to join a game go into Arma II, select multi-player and then filter mission. Put dayz as the mission, and max ping 100.

When you start the game it will tell you where you spawn on the bottom right. Use this map and make sure you know where you are at all times because it is very easy to get lost.

So when are we going to get a massive group of us together on this?
  • I noticed that pcgamer article is out of date as it mentions bandit skins (which are no longer currently part of the mod). Anyway, i'll post this so it is as simple as possible without the need for lots of reading: Download and install Arma patch 1.60 Download and install the latest beta patch Download six updater and run six launcher Also install mumble as we'll likely use that for chat at some point. Six launcher lets you install/update the mod automatically along with a few other popular mods. Six updater let you install hundreds of other arma mods from maps to sounds to new armies etc. When you want to join a game go into Arma II, select multi-player and then filter mission. Put dayz as the mission, and max ping 100. When you start the game it will tell you where you spawn on the bottom right. Use this map and make sure you know where you are at all times because it is very easy to get lost. So when are we going to get a massive group of us together on this?

As well as that I search for and launch Day-Z/Arma 2 from the Six Launcher so I don't have to run it through Steam.

I was going to spend the afternoon on it, but every server seems to be down :(
  • They're still intermittently down this afternoon. Our group has a bus, a tractor and two motorbikes hidden in a forest so I hope they're still there when we get back in.

It was quite a journey to get them as we were at the NW Airfield and two guys next to bikes opened fire with silenced assault rifles, but one of our group picked them off with a 50. Cal. Once we'd raided their body for stuff, we took their bikes and found the vehicles they'd hidden nearby.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    The more I read about this forum's antics in this game the more I pray for a console version...

I may actually completely format my PC and get back on, at the moment I have hardly any HDD free (though I do have a 1.5tb to put into it) and it really needs a clean-up as it takes forever to boot.
  • @humantarget
    Awesome, you have a bus! Wanna come pick me up in Kozlovka next time you play? I'll hop on later if it's working. Also that story sounds very much like JUSTICE!

edit: A quick google search seems to suggest they are under a DDoS attack...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Any particular version of Six Updater I should get, or grab the latest (Six Updater v2.9.7pre3 setup.exe) ?
  • The latest one is what I use. I read before that Day-Z will come as part of Arma 2 in a future update.

@vicinity_of_pie I'll aim to, but I'm mainly a passenger on this journey. Next place we're heading to is Chernogorsk to pick up one of the guys we accidentally ran over with the bus :\ Haha.
  • Uh, unless you want to lose your bus you should avoid going anywhere near Cherno surely?
  • We're all pretty heavily armed and we won't be driving straight into to Chernogorsk, so hopefully we'll be alright.
  • Oh ok :)

Pity you can't shoot out the windows of the bus, that would be awesome. Kozlovka is only couple of minutes drive from Cherno so let me know when you're on and if the guys you're playing with mind me joining - I can help you defend the bus. I'm guessing your groups next goal is to get a helicopter then?
  • Haha. Yeah, sure. If they're back up then we'll be on Seattle 120 tonight so I'll message you on Steam :)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Right.

Didn't download the 1.11/1.60 patch as Steam has already updated that bit.

Installed the Day Z mod.

Installed the 94364 beta patch, apparently.

When I go into the game I get this on the home screen

2012-07-02_00002.jpg

(87580)

So when I try to join a server it says either this

2012-07-02_00001.jpg

Or I'm missing the Day Z mod files.

Harumph.
  • Did you launch dayZ with six launcher?
  • You're best not launching it through Steam as it's just easier with Six Updater. Launch Six Updater, select a server and click update/verify/join and then it'll launch it for you.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Did you launch dayZ with six launcher?

No, I'm using ARMA II, like you said!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Apparently I hadn't clicked Verify in Six Launcher.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    How long, roughly, are you supposed to stare at the "Waiting for character to create" screen?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Hang on, that screen has been replaced with "Loading"
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Got into a game. 30 seconds later two zombies ate me.

DO NOT rely on me come zompocalypse
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Just to check, when you die that's it, back to the start and sit through character and loading screens again?

From the comments on the chat it seems f'd in the a for most people.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!