Day Z
  • RaginScotsman
    Show networks
    PSN
    Psychoboy1
    Steam
    RaginScotsman

Send message
    Yeah the game engine does suck nuts but its also the reason theres such a huge map so its hard to imagine the game being made in any other engine.
    Very important that you avoid tiny houses with open doors. I ran down a corridor to escape zombies - dead end. Then I found that the corridor was so small I couldnt turn around to face my attackers.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I cant understand all the night-hate. I cant find other people during the day but with all the flares going up at night its easier to meet up and form groups. I was stranded on a hospital roof for an hour last night, no ammo and surrounded by zombies of course, and only got down because a group of people saw my flare and cleared the place out.
    This makes it sound awesome, unfortunately nearly everything else I have read about survivors meeting each other usually ends up with some them dead...

I still have never been given an answer as to why something like this couldn't run on a console? PC's use the same internet so why can't we have the same amount of players?

Day Z would clean up if it was available on the consoles.
  • I'm having trouble even getting into ANY server at the moment :( The hospital story sounds ace. The only survivor I've met that wasn't my friend shot me in the head.
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    They shot him in the head... they shot him in the fucking head.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • RaginScotsman
    Show networks
    PSN
    Psychoboy1
    Steam
    RaginScotsman

Send message
    Honestly this is one of those "story games" where when you're playing it you enjoy it but its only when you look back you go "that was freakin awesome". And when you tell the story of what happened it sounds like the coolest game ever.
    Unfortunately most people seem to have a shoot-first rule of thumb. You really need to talk to someone for a bit before you meet to get a feel for how evil they are.
    Even then, when you have one tin of beans between two and someones starving...
  • Have any of you installed the OA beta patch yet as I can't see what the differences actually are and if it's worth updating? Also, are you all on 1.7 now or still 1.6?
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • RaginScotsman
    Show networks
    PSN
    Psychoboy1
    Steam
    RaginScotsman

Send message
    Havent installed the beta patch, cant see it making much diff to my crappy settings (note to self: buy a new pc). On 1.7 as I think most servers are now, certainly the UK ones I stick to.
  • Unless it was created in a different game engine that isn't clunky as hell.
    I like the clunkyness of Arma, ok not when you get caught on walls indoors but in a simulator you should have weight and momentum. Really, you get use to it.

Also, are you using different stances (standing, crouch, prone) combined with holding shift (or double tapping shift) to control your speed? You will move at 6 different speeds using these different combinations. Also, get use to using alt to look around as much as possible. You shouldn't be looking around using the mouse much unless you're staying in the one position.
  • Unless it was created in a different game engine that isn't clunky as hell.
    I like the clunkyness of Arma, ok not when you get caught on walls indoors but in a simulator you should have weight and momentum. Really, you get use to it. Also, are you using different stances (standing, crouch, prone) combined with holding shift (or double tapping shift) to control your speed? You will move at 6 different speeds using these different combinations. Also, get use to using alt to look around as much as possible. You shouldn't be looking around using the mouse much unless you're staying in the one position.

Ahh right. I'll have to try it out. I'm updating to the beta patch now but it has a progress bar that starts at 100% with the message 'Please be patient. This update may appear to take a long time to complete. It is updating and installing very large data.'
  • Ha, can you close it? I don't think it started at 100%, if it's a small update it'll do it almost instantly.
  • Ha, can you close it? I don't think it started at 100%, if it's a small update it'll do it almost instantly.

The progress bar started at 100%, but the patcher is still downloading according to the net monitor. I can close it, but it also says that if you cancel it that I'll need to re-install OA. I just wonder how big this 'large data' is, haha.
  • Is it just the latest beta you're installing?

i.e. The one at the top?

It doesn't need to download anything. If you can close it then it should be done. The whole large data thing is a standard Arma 2 patch message you get because the larger patches that are 300MB+ can take a while. Betas install instantly.
  • Ah right, okay. Yeah, it is that one. I was just thrown with the fact it still looks as if it's downloading.
  • RaginScotsman
    Show networks
    PSN
    Psychoboy1
    Steam
    RaginScotsman

Send message
    Looks like bohemia might be pushing for a full-scale DayZ game in the future. High fives all round. Lets just hope it'll get some form of console release so more people can experience the awesomeness.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/06/rumour-dayz-creator-instructed-to-work-on-mod-full-time-by-bohemia/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0
  • Does anyone want to play this tonight?
  • I've been playing this a lot recently with my brother and a friend. Really grown to love it, but I just wish there wasn't quite so many people who shoot you on first sight :( I'm currently right near the location of the drivable tractor, so I can't wait to get it and plough through some zombies.
  • Bohemia would be crazy not to spin it off into a full retail release :-)
    Could be the game that gets me back into pc gaming - open world zombie survivalism?! WANT!

The designer guy seems pretty clever and clued up, so hopefully he can put in some better incentives for humans to co-operate and not shoot on sight.
  • djchump wrote:
    Bohemia would be crazy not to spin it off into a full retail release :-) Could be the game that gets me back into pc gaming - open world zombie survivalism?! WANT! The designer guy seems pretty clever and clued up, so hopefully he can put in some better incentives for humans to co-operate and not shoot on sight.

If you killed enough human players you were originally given a 'bandit' skin so others knew straight off to be cautious of you, but that has since been removed, which is a shame.
  • It's a difficult one, they seem to be going all out for realism (exc.obv.zombies) and that's a great goal, because nothing else does. Very tricky balance though.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    After Red Dead Redemption getting a decent Zombie add-on I have high hopes for GTA V getting the same treatment. I personally couldn't imagine a better zombie game than one realised within the GTA world..
  • Day Z comes as close as you can get to an 'oh fuck, this is probably what it'd actually be like' feeling; that's what'd be spoiled if it gets too gamey.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    My only gripe with Day Z would be that the environment is too sparse.

With the proper development I am sure that that R* could make something quite impressive, it wouldn't have to be GTA with zombies.

I imagine something where you rank up skills the more experience you get in your chosen field, so somebody could go along the line of being a mechanic so that you stand more chance of finding salvageable cars or cars with more fuel or the fuel you do have is used more efficiently, likewise a chef could provide greater things from the food that's gathered and likewise find more food on recon runs. A person that has good social skills could be more susceptible to noticing whether other players are more likely to be friend or foe and also more hardened to take damage but also offer a skill increase to potential group members and a better use of skills to those that are already in the same group or in close vicinity.

Also it would be good in a MMO to enable players that die to continue with their zombie self, to see the world differently and so on...
  • I've been playing this a lot recently with my brother and a friend. Really grown to love it, but I just wish there wasn't quite so many people who shoot you on first sight :( I'm currently right near the location of the drivable tractor, so I can't wait to get it and plough through some zombies.
    Can I join you guys some time? I had tons of stuff, map, knife, tool box, bigger bag, tons of ammo, food and water shotgun and assault rifle. Spotted a guy trying to sneak up on me as I tried to enter Berezino the other day (I was still on the life from the last time I played with nexx). I was in a deer stand and spoted him crawling up behind me so I decided to open fire - unfortunately as I had less than 3700 blood my aim was shaking all over the place and though I hit him a few times he managed to get a headshot on me. I've respawned and am now in the Cherno church but i've found a toolbox again and would very much like to play with a group and try to fix a vehicle.
    djchump wrote:
    Bohemia would be crazy not to spin it off into a full retail release :-) Could be the game that gets me back into pc gaming - open world zombie survivalism?! WANT! The designer guy seems pretty clever and clued up, so hopefully he can put in some better incentives for humans to co-operate and not shoot on sight.
    Bohemia have already took the guy off of working on Arma 3 to work exclusively on Day Z so I think a seperate release is almost certain after Arma 3 comes out. Rocket does seem pretty clever but from what i've read he wants it to be like that, he likes the pvp.
    Can I join you guys some time? I had tons of stuff, map, knife, tool box, bigger bag, tons of ammo, food and water shotgun and assault rifle. Spotted a guy trying to sneak up on me as I tried to enter Berezino the other day (I was still on the life from the last time I played with nexx). I was in a deer stand and spoted him crawling up behind me so I decided to open fire - unfortunately as I had less than 3700 blood my aim was shaking all over the place and though I hit him a few times he managed to get a headshot on me. I'vce respawned and am now in the Cherno church but i've found a toolbox again and would very much like to play with a group and try to fix a vehicle.

Yeah, sure. Tend to pop on most nights after 10 and weekends. I'm enjoying it a lot more now I've kind of memorised key points of the map through the use of the lighthouses on the beach. I'm currently at the hospital near the half built building/crane, with loads of bags of blood, bandages, painkillers and everything else medical.
  • I'd love to play this but I'm damn sure my comp can't run ARMA satisfactorily.

+1000000 to this from the OP article -
    "Something that taps into the same zeitgeist as Dark Souls or EVE Online (whose subscriber numbers have been growing for almost a decade); that desire for heroism to be heroic, for villainy to be villainous. I'm not sure when the AAA developers are going to start heeding that desire, but it'll be a great step for gaming when they do."

True dat!
  • PC gamer are doing an interview with Rocket in game via twitch tv right now.
  • Settled nicely in a city somewhere and going to head North to get to a military base of some sort. Got blood packs, painkillers, epi pens, food/drink, map, compass, watch, double barrel shotgun and makarov. Had to go back to find it all again after I was walking over a walkway and fell through the floor and broke my legs as zombies ate me.
  • You playing now? I'll join you on your journey if you want.
  • J1m1
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Beelzespud
    Xbox
    Beelzespud
    Steam
    Beelzespud

Send message
    I seem to have had all the luck on this.  I've only encountered 1 bandit who got taken out by 2 randoms who then offered me food.  There is no other game that offers this sense of community.  I think it's a shame that they got rid of the bandit "skin" but the selfless cooperation on this game gives me hope for when the real zombie apocalypse begins.  I think it's due in 2016 or something.
    Live/Steam - Beelzespud
  • You playing now? I'll join you on your journey if you want.

Argh. Just seen this now :( Been on it all night too. Worked North all night with 4 friends and aiming to get towards Devil's Castle (I think it's called). Ended sat in a forest with a fire going cooking the cow we'd just gutted and everyone giving each other blood transfusions, haha.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!