PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    That's absolutely not what I'm saying. edit for clarity: You're very welcome to dislike it, but to assume that post-modernism is a label just given to defend it despite its form, and that logic somehow dictates it's more likely to be shit than worth debating is simply reductive.

Thing is, we've discussed MGS2 over and over again since it came out. And I'm sorry, but I'm not saying "post-modern" is being used as a label to defend it on a post-hoc basis, I'm saying it's not post-modern. It's just rubbish. Seriously, watch the making-of DVD that came with the special edition. Not even the staff knew what was going on with that game. There's an artists who says on multiple occasions "Kojima asked me to design {character}, and I thought he was joking".

So if my opinions are going to be dismissed as "a load of shit", I can't be bothered any more. I've tried discussing it and got abuse for my troubles.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Metal Gear Serious.
  • For what it's worth, I've clarified that I wasn't dismissing your opinion, more the idea that you're trying to argue that there's an objective logic behind yours and batshit craziness behind others, by invoking something like Occam's Razor.

Authorial intent is not the be all and end of interpretation -you can thank Barthes for that- so if you can infer it and back it up, you can make that claim. All evidence presented to me points towards it being post-modern, regardless of the intentions of the creators behind it. If you think the creators DVD denies that, then that's fair enough, but it's ignoring decades of textual criticism.
  • I like how mgs2 let's you do nude cartwheels with raiden.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    What a load of shit
    I'm sorry, does my opinion differ to yours? OH NOES.

Well, yes, but his opinion is backed up, provided with context, opens up avenues for optional further discussion.

Yours, doesn't. Which means it's not as valuable or interesting.
  • For example, how does any of this constitute an argument / discussion point worthy of the names:
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Thing is, we've discussed MGS2 over and over again since it came out. And I'm sorry, but I'm not saying "post-modern" is being used as a label to defend it on a post-hoc basis, I'm saying it's not post-modern. It's just rubbish. Seriously, watch the making-of DVD that came with the special edition. Not even the staff knew what was going on with that game. There's an artists who says on multiple occasions "Kojima asked me to design {character}, and I thought he was joking". So if my opinions are going to be dismissed as "a load of shit", I can't be bothered any more. I've tried discussing it and got abuse for my troubles.

(key statements:

- It's not post-modern (OK why)
    - It's just rubbish (OK why)
    - Making of DVD /  artist comments (OK but how does this back up your previous points, some artist who isn't part of the authorial intent or has a view of the bigger narrative picture and so on?)
    - Playing victim card: oof boring)
  • I'm just trying to make you better at this.

That wasn't nice. I'm sorry.
  • Yeah I wasn't trying to make it personal, I even tried to clear that up
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Don't be a dick Funk.
  • I am at the 2nd battle with Peace Walker and it's a complete baw ache.  Reading up on it, sounds like my R&D is about 8 levels too low for the LAW missile thingy I need to defeat it.  Any one got any hints?  Also is there a way to have more than 50 R&D bods?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • So I'm finished with Ground Zeroes. What a surprisingly meaty game that is. I'd love to see a Shadow Moses complex built in that engine. 

Got the tapes and the patches but not s ranks. So I'm up to date on it now and started mgsv last night. 

That first chapter slash prologue is insane. 

Both games really are smooth as silk control wise.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!