Every Month is Metal Month Solid
  • Watching a playthrough of MGS:4
    Only played the first 5 minutes myself (5 minutes of gameplay so hour).

This is basically a poorly rendered 3D anime.

MERYL, MERYL, DAMN, DAMN, MERYL!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That'd be about right. I'm on to act 4. Will be finished tomorrow. Well chuffed.
    Might even try and peace walk this weekend. Would only be the second Time I've finished it
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    DID NANOMACHINES MAKE YOU SO BUTCH
  • I dont know!
    Stuff is happening.

Shrug
  • OH WAIT.

Yup, Im at the nanomachines waffle.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Maybe pick one you're interested in?
    Sir, yes, sir!

I had a pop at Ground Zeroes, since I got it for free.

I knew the story was convoluted from the podcasts I've listened to, but having played MGS on release, and then only briefly playing Sons of Liberty on release, and the most fleeting of dalliances with them both on Vita in the last couple of years, it's ridiculous trying to have even the vaguest clue of what's going on. And I can't believe they've actually had a nuclear scientist called Dr. Strangelove. The whole thing has a streak of bizarre that I can't get on board with.

God help anyone who is losing their MGS virginity to The Phantom Pain.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Maybe pick one you're interested in?
    Sir, yes, sir!

I had a pop at Ground Zeroes, since I got it for free.

I knew the story was convoluted from the podcasts I've listened to, but having played MGS on release, and then only briefly playing Sons of Liberty on release, and the most fleeting of dalliances with them both on Vita in the last couple of years, it's ridiculous trying to have even the vaguest clue of what's going on. And I can't believe they've actually had a nuclear scientist called Dr. Strangelove. The whole thing has a streak of bizarre that I can't get on board with.

God help anyone who is losing their MGS virginity to The Phantom Pain.

Doctor Strangelove is nothing. Wait till you meet CIA agent Hot Coldman.

As Tempy has said a few times, and as reviews have alluded to, 5 does seem to be the most straightforward, plotwise. A guy has been betrayed and wants to create his own new utopia. It's a basic downfall story a La Corleone or Vader.

Still, at its best/worst MGS is more convoluted than a 600 episode anime.
    Spoiler:

• I learned about Hot Coldman in a Metal Gear summary I watched last night, narrated by someone from Eurogamer who couldn't decide if she had an annoying Irish accent or an annoying American accent, and swung annoyingly back and for between the two.

It's names like Hot Coldman that confirm that Hideo is not a genius, and my life is fine without his ego-stoking drivel.

Shame, because there are some okay games hidden in there.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That'd be the rather brilliant Aoife Wilson who has been a good dose of fresh air to the eg crew with the departure of Gibson
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    But, I mean MGS has always been about the high/low culture tone talk. For every War Economy there is an AKIBA
    Spoiler:
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Peace Walker HD is more PSPish than I expected it to be.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yes
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Well that's us - D date on 4. I'll need to finish it tonight but I'm nearly there, just the solidus fight to go
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Will carve out time on Sunday for GZ
  • Yeah. Further thoughts on 4 and I realise I must be a statistical anomaly:

I think it's lean and tight.
    I like the story.
    I'm satisfied with the way it tied stuff together.
    I didn't think there were that many cut scenes.
    Also thought the boss battles were good - if unmemorable (it lacks an iconic fight to match what has gone before it but I suppose my favourite was the sniper battle in the snow).
    Ending was too neat, also - but other than that, top stuff. Farewell Snake.

Will pick up 5 soon. Excitement.
  • I get the feeling that kojima just has a few boss ideas. Or the use of snipers a lot just makes me feel that way.

All four bosses in four are meant to evoke the earlier bosses. I think each one is a portmanteau of two boss names in the past. I cant work out if this narrative trick giving permission for recycling is genius or a shortcut to laziness without needing to really justify it.
  • What I remember from 4 most distinctly is hiding in a barrel and rolling down the street.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Eyyyy I did that a lot
  • There's a serious purpose to it but it's pure comedy, mgs in a nutshell.
  • What I remember from 4 most distinctly is hiding in a barrel and rolling down the street.
    Its excellent for knocking over the unmanned metal gear things, leaves them open for shots at there head too.
    Yeah. Further thoughts on 4 and I realise I must be a statistical anomaly: I think it's lean and tight. I like the story. I'm satisfied with the way it tied stuff together. I didn't think there were that many cut scenes. Also thought the boss battles were good - if unmemorable (it lacks an iconic fight to match what has gone before it but I suppose my favourite was the sniper battle in the snow). Ending was too neat, also - but other than that, top stuff. Farewell Snake. Will pick up 5 soon. Excitement.

Sniper battle is too easy on mgs4, smoke grenade, stun grenade, repeat x4.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Yeah. Further thoughts on 4 and I realise I must be a hallucinating dehydrated cameless Arab in a sandstorm.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I never played MGS4 before this but I remembered reading a ton of stuff when it came out about how long the cutscenes were, etc. Apart from one blip I found them engaging and their length didn't bother me. If anything they've un-dated - it seems bit weird to criticise non-interactive video content in an era where it's the norm to binge on it on Netflix, etc. The one bit I didn't like was the end of Act 3 where you have a fuckton of action-based cutscenes with not much in the way of story or characterisation going on and then a lengthy briefing cutscene that I don't remember being quite as good as the other ones etc. I can imagine someone taking a breather between Acts and totally not getting what the fuss is about with the cutscenes but when rushing through it for this (and for reviewing etc.) the end of Act cutscenes and beginning of Act cutscenes can start to pile up a bit.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    4 is cleared. Yikes that was tight. On to ground zeroes
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Peace Walker isn't doing it for me somehow. Still gonna keep playing it anyway.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It'snot the greatest but it does feel quite hamstrung on the psp. Still, dat Hot Coldman
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Peace Walker isn't doing it for me somehow. Still gonna keep playing it anyway.

It is for me, really like its pocket size approach to the gameplay & base/army building aspects.  Even the cutscenes, which did, if i'm honest, cause a little moan inside has I was hoping for some FMV Koj goodness(because I'm a MGS cutscene whore) have grown on me.  Need to try fin so all the Chico, Paz, etc, etc pieces are all in place.

Chapter 2 done, tho my troops lost a Tank & APC type thing on a B+ mission against Helicopters, should of thought that one through a bit.

Mopping up the sides on GZ in tandom with PW.  Batman is getting kicked to the kerb come Tue, sorry Bruce.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I do like peace Walker, it's just such a massive change from the narrative / conclusive feel of the others. Guess I need to get into it for 5

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!