Every Month is Metal Month Solid
  • Made some progress on PW the last few days.

Really enjoying the format, it turns out. Just met and recruited Huey after beating some AI tank thing.
  • Back to MGS2 on the Vita.  Started to get the hang of it after a total of 12hrs play (over many pick up and put down attempts).  Went through all of the struts around shell 1 to understand the layout.

Rollerskating bomber guy is down so I'm finally in the first shell itself.  Spent ages trying to get around the lift area without a gun.  Colonel get fed up with me dicking around and told me where to actually get the gun from.  That section was easy after that.

I still think it's a clunky fuck of a game, especially with the wall hugging mechanic (accidental hugging when you are trying to move around an object to escape being a fun component) but there is fun to have.

I think I'd actually enjoy it on another playthrough when I know what I'm doing.
  • Finished the final battle in peace walker last night. Now for the final chapter. 
    Spoiler:
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Especially considering what it is in the lore of mgs
  • Up to the final final final boss in Peace Walker.

Cannot be arsed doing the S++ outer ops (last 4) and the capture battles vs tanks/choppers and AI revisions. Its too hard with just one person without grinding.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Peace Walker finished. On to Ground Zeroes now I know who the hell Paz and Chico are. 

Peace Walker had some fucking amazing boss battles. Not of the same ilk as the character battles a la Psycho Mantis/The End/Ninja, but in terms of battling AI robots a la Metal Gear, it is as good in its best bits as Rex, Ray, Gekkos etc. Not quite as good as Shagohod though.
  • I'm halfway through the cutscenes YouTube vid. Then it's back to Ground Zeroes which I did play on release a bit but had no clue what the fuck was going on.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Have you played MGS4 as well?
  • I am just passed the torture bit on PW - what a royal in the arse that was.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Don't use auto fire.
  • Vela wrote:
    Have you played MGS4 as well?

Yeah, PW is the only one I missed cos I don't do that much portable gaming
  • Its really well suited to portable format tbqh. Im not able to spend much time in front of the tv these days so having a vita and 3DS is handy.

It was very much a MGS-lite game, short missions, no codecs (tapes are all there in briefing) and the CQC is dumbed down, but overall it was enjoyable. The AI fights are great, and especially the battles against Metal Gear. 

I started again last night a play through of Ground Zeroes (PS4). Holy fuck the game is smooth. Framerate, image quality, lighting, control response. Reminds me of how stunning the MGS2 Tanker Demo was that came with ZOE. Regardless of what some people think of the story of MGS2, for me the highlight was the atmosphere, the rain effects, the lighting, the interactivity between you and the environment (tarpaulins, light globes, watermelon). 

Actually had time enough to pop on the headphones and mark as many enemies as possible, then got through and extracted Chico, prisoners and got to Paz without making any alerts. 

Then it went pear shaped.

I did find out on one of my retries though that you can turn all the lights off! And then managed to get her out without any more alerts aside from having to wait for Zulu 1 and 2 to investigate the CCTV units I shot out.

I think I'll play through all the GZ missions now, and then move on to TPP. I do love now knowing the context about what is going on with Mother Base. Who/what Cipher is, what the burnt man means when he refers to Trojan Horse, and what "our guests" are when Huey and Miller talk about preps made on Mother Base.
  • Vamp down. Game still not to trying to win me over - swimming is latest 'mini game' thrown in to the mix.
  • I want a running commentary now.
  • Game has gone bonkers now. Battery died at the naked section.
  • Did you still do a cartwheel?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I never did get through MGS3D again, but thanks to hand-me-down PS3s and pre-owned bargains I'm playing MGS4 for the first time. Top stuff so far, if it continues like this the correct order for MGS games will be MGS > MGS4 > MGS3 > being punched in the balls > MGS2.

Heck, it even makes me want to play Metal Gear Rising, which I never thought I'd say.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • MGS 4 ahead of 3 is unusual.

Pourquoi?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Wrong is what it is.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    MGS 4 ahead of 3 is unusual. Pourquoi?

The guards feel less psychic than they did in 3. I'm spending less time running around in circles, Benny Hill style.

It all depends on how things go from here, but I'm six or so hours in and loving it.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Are you using the dpad to sneak in mgs3?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Yeah if you're not stalking/crawling they'l hear you coming up behind them.
  • Wrong is what it is.

This.

Also, Rising is absolutely great if you like brawlers and in particular Platinum games.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Are you using the dpad to sneak in mgs3?

No, just the analogue stick. No one's heard me yet. I guess you can sneak if you move the analogue stick a little bit? The only times I've been spotted in MGS4 so far are when I run around a corner without checking properly. Otherwise I'm a regular ninja.

And for people saying I'm "wrong", I did say that I may change my mind by the time I've finished MGS4. Hold your horses.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Hold your horses before spouting wrongness then.
  • I thought MGS4 was best when I was spotted and I could just blast everyone cos the shooting was pretty good.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Don't forget knocking people out by twisting their knackers.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    Are you using the dpad to sneak in mgs3?
    No, just the analogue stick. No one's heard me yet. I guess you can sneak if you move the analogue stick a little bit? The only times I've been spotted in MGS4 so far are when I run around a corner without checking properly. Otherwise I'm a regular ninja. And for people saying I'm "wrong", I did say that I may change my mind by the time I've finished MGS4. Hold your horses.

The PS2 version, and presumably PS3 versions of MGS3 require you to use the dpad for sneaking. That way you are silent, and avoid Benny Hill movements.

Also, a general tip, is to remove any bolts before healing the wound.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    The PS2 version, and presumably PS3 versions of MGS3 require you to use the dpad for sneaking. That way you are silent, and avoid Benny Hill movements. Also, a general tip, is to remove any bolts before healing the wound.

It's been yonks since I played MGS3, might try using the d-pad on the 3DS version. The healing system I was fine with. (I also misread your first post and assumed your were talking about MGS4. Woops.)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!