Minecraft - Xbox 360 Edition
  • I have bought it mainly to split screen with the kids so it should hopefully kill a few hours of rainy sfternoons.
  • It's a shame; it runs so smoothly, it's beautiful on a big TV, and sounds gorgeous.  If it was just the full-up release version, with the ability to connect to existing servers (and realistically, why not?) it'd be incredible.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    It's a shame; it runs so smoothly, it's beautiful on a big TV, and sounds gorgeous.  If it was just the full-up release version, with the ability to connect to existing servers (and realistically, why not?) it'd be incredible.

Exactly my thoughts. I can't see why you can't play alongside PC players, to be honest. Other than it getting people to buy a PC version and 360 version depending on who they want to play with.
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Because when little Johnny joins a server with a 200ft phallus in the centre and Mummy sees it and calls Fox News MS get bad PR.
  • Well really it's because Minecraft PC was done in Java and it had to be entirely recoded for the xbox version. To make it compatible would have been very very difficult, if not impossible. They still should definitely have had persistent servers though.
  • But if it's 'owned' by someone on the friends list, it's easier to point the blame at an individual rather than just going 'omg internet is evil'.

Not that I doubt the stupidity of the media for one second, of course.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Because when little Johnny joins a server with a 200ft phallus in the centre and Mummy sees it and calls Fox News MS get bad PR.

What's to stop one of their Xbox friends from building a 200ft cock?
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    In other news, I made a house, which didn't have a roof, so first night I cowered in the corner.

Then I put a roof on and a Zombie came to the door, so I tried to hit him and this opened the door and he nearly killed me.

Then I started digging a mine next to the house and found some coal and ore so I've got good torches and tools now but I didn't notice it had gone dark and zombie had followed me in. A pick axe in the head took care of him.

This game is awesome.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    People complaining it's not the PC version.

Wasn't that going to be obvious from the start?
  • It's like the Minecraft thread last year!

I wish it was compatible.  I totally refuse to believe it would be "impossible."
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Just downloaded the trial, which was happily small and quick. I'll give it a blast after my tea, but I'm leaning towards the purchase just to be part of the fun.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    So are people up for starting a world together? Like I said, I'll be on this a lot if you want me to be the world host unless someone else wants to do it. 

Really itching to get on now...
  • Fuck! Just decided to take the plunge on this, made the purchase and XBL signed out before d/l completion. Won't sign back in now. Feck. Will be up for some world building when I can get on.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Always happy to contribute, I'll be playing this late tonight if anybody's around.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I see… I've just spent the last fecking half hour rebooting routers, restarting homeplug networks and the rest. 

Finally managed to get the Xbox to connect to Live on second 'last ditch..' restart and it's just died again in front of me. Looks like Live wasn't quite prepared for Minecraft's arrival then. I wonder if it'll be back up by the weekend?
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • It struggled when trials was released. Managed a fairly swift recovery.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm on live right now. Can anyone point me it the direction of cheap points? I take it the GAME error has now been rectified.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Just popped on and downloaded it no probs. On in an hour or so.
  • Queued it up at work, got home, won't connect to Live.

That's not convincing me to go back to Gold MS.

Looks like it's an o2 issue.  Just seemed a familiar problem with a big game launch.
  • I'm gonna buy it - just so I can kick back on the sofa. Still chuffed my alpha review gets a mention on the Wiki entry :)
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Seems the post-school download assault has been tackled and we're back here in London too. Watch a bit of footeh and could be on later...
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Where did those 3 hours go? lol! Minecraft is back with a vengeance - coming to eat up all your spare time.

I love making forts - makes you feel like a big kid!  :D

p.s. The music is great.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I was just invaded by the evil Nexx. Was minding my own business, chopping down a tree when he biffed me in the back of the bonce. I nearly shit.

Then it got dark as I was building my bolt hole and I did shit. Made it through the night in the dark but I got blasted by something I didn't even see. Exciting this.
  • Finally got on, but unfortunately forgot how to do stuff. Managed to knock me through a small hole in time for the darkness. I peered out of my hole to see blue sky, exited and was promptly set upon by myriad beasties.

They mostly come at night. Mostly.

I'd just been trying to convince the wench that it was a fun game where you build stuff, shortly before my panicked shrieking.
  • I meant to ask this in the agony aunt thread on the Edge forum. I'm sure I could find this out after a few minutes of Googling, but I'm sure your answers will more enlightening.

What the hell is Minecraft all about? I'm pretty much clueless about this game, or its many imitators that seem to be popping up on the indie scene, other than the fact that they're incredibly popular. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say they're a bit like a massively multiplayer Halo forge mode. What does it do and what's the appeal?
  • Mining and crafting. That's about all I've managed to work out so far.
  • It's a game about punching trees.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    And exploding.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Managed to time out the demo. 
    Inevitably it was just as I finally found a bit of iron and then last ditch, final torch murk discovery of a nice juicy seam of coal all over the place. In the last 30secs… it can still eat yer time then even if it is a clunky old mid-beta patch they've cobbled together.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!