Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    The map will be more than big enough for 8 players. It'd take a long time to out grow it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Aye, just checked the video linked on the last page. Seems like plenty of room. I might be in.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'm starting to see it as a good thing, in that even when we're off building our masterpiece we'll never be too far from each other. Might encourage more co-op construction as well. 

I can live without getting lost miles from home, though it is a real shame. 

Look, I'm being optimistic again.
  • 6 minutes from one end to the other is a bit funny.

Fun Fact: Did you know that in the PC version of minecraft it would take over 800 hours walking in a straight line (with no obstacles in your path) from the spawn position to the edge of the map. That's 1600 hours from end to end!
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    How many random generated identi-blocks do you need?

I'm more interested in the single-player campaign. I've not played it solo for over a year and i know they've added a helluva lot since then.

1600 points for that 'first night survival chills' is worth every penny if you ask me.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    6 minutes from one end to the other is a bit funny. Fun Fact: Did you know that in the PC version of minecraft it would take over 800 hours walking in a straight line (with no obstacles in your path) from the spawn position to the edge of the map. That's 1600 hours from end to end!

There's actually a guy who's walking all the way to the end of the map on PC for charity. Although he's using an older version of Minecraft to get to the glitched-out Far Lands that used to exist at the end of the map.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I can't see a 6 minute by 6 minute area being a problem for survival mode. It's still a huge area to explore thoroughly. It also means you shouldn't be able to get so stupidly lost that you have to kill yourself to get back home.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • What would be the advantage of buying this over something like Total Miner: Forge which costs 240pts?
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Bigger budget and more support would suggest that Minecraft would be worth the punt if you were diggy diggy inclined. 
    I did have a poke around on Total Miner way back when and was surprised how competent it was though. Seemed to concentrate on actual mining/discovery and less on construction if memory serves? 
    I'm demoing tomorrow fo' sho' but will keep an eye out for cheap points… just in case…
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • I completely missed out on minecraft shenanigans first time round, so will probably have a dabble with this.

Will be up for some BnB multi.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Been watching some vids of this, looks like the Xbox version runs super smooth. At last, no more juttering around the map at 20fps.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I'm interested in this, but the lack of a tutorial on the PC version (that I played) put me off. I believe this has been corrected for the 360 version?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yeh, but from what I've seen it looks a bit overkill tbh. I guess it saves countless trips to wiki to figure stuff out though. Having played it quite a bit on pc I'm hoping I can disable it.
  • I was reading about this yesterday and it did seem that a lot of PC users spent a lot of time reading a wiki at the same time as playing the game.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I haven't got time for that.
  • I can't see the attraction at all without a properly persistent world.  It's going to be a totally different game.  This isn't really traditional Minecraft, rather it's a version of Animal Crossing.

I can get behind the concept of everyone owning a map, and everyone has their own little dwelling/house/place/something in everyone else's town, but I don't know if I'd be able to put the effort in.  It's nice having a persistent server, but I see the problem here being that I start a project in one person's map, and then never get to finish it because they're never on, and have to keep jumping between 20-odd half-finished dwellings rather than constantly refining one.

Plus I'll need a stack of resources in every map, meaning multiple thrunges into the depths for diamond.  Add in the lack of adaptability (no chance to define a map, like a survival island, and try that out), and I think overall it's a poor cousin.

If it was 1200, I'd probably have a crack for the single player alone, but I don't think the MP'll be worth it.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    ...but I see the problem here being that I start a project in one person's map, and then never get to finish it because they're never on, and have to keep jumping between 20-odd half-finished dwellings rather than constantly refining one...

I think this is the crux of the problem with this version; isn't BF3 on consoles offering a server hire service? Why not for MC?
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    You never know, it might happen.

It's definatly a poor cousin, but for people that have never played it there's still a ton of laughs to be had. It'll just be a more co-op orientated experience.

I keep saying it, but it looks like it runs great and if your laptop isn't up to the proper game it's the (my) only option.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I suspect this could well be the way it goes once they put out a few patches and ensured a stable client?

DL is only 113meg too so swift. Got trial inbound in a few mins.
  • Because they don't need to.  Minecraft's popularity ensures that everyone into gaming but not PC gaming will have heard about it and spend 1600 points without thought.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    You never know, it might happen. It's definatly a poor cousin, but for people that have never played it there's still a ton of laughs to be had. It'll just be a more co-op orientated experience.

I don't know that it will, I thought it was more tied to the single player.  Sure, you can jump in and help someone with their existing projects, but trying to actually have a reserve of stuff in all your friends' games so you can do anything worthwhile seems too much like hard work.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Maybe, but people arrange to have Halo, bf3 etc nights do there's no reason it won't happen with this.

Sure you can't play whenever you want, but when you do it'll hopefully encourage everyone to pitch in together. I spent way more time on the Edge server tootling about doing my own thing than with people.

I'm under no illusion that it isn't a cut down inferior version, but I genuinely think it can provide some brilliant nights of gaming.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    There'd certainly be a profit margin on such a rental service; why not have that on top of the 1600?

Anyway, it's moot for me. I can't see it appealing if you're already PCing it; for those that aren't I'm sure it'll rock. Everyone's a winner.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • I think the 4 player split screen is there for a reason.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Hmm.. Had a quick crack at the tutorial level to get the controls detailed and it's a bit of a mixed bag. 

It is odd to see the blocky distinctiveness of Minecraft on the plasma and me on the sofa. As I've got used to various texture packs (higher res) and mods it is quite a lurch to go back to a close viewed, vanilla Minecraft. 

More jarring is going all the way back to 1.6.6. So much has been enabled on the PC now that this is a real step backwards. No exp, no hunger, no running, no chicken or beef, mobs randomly killing you when you try to sleep…the list goes on.. 

If you're accustomed to dicking around with minecraft jars, optifineing, magic launcher, biomes, enchanting, adventure and all that then this will be quite a jolt. Not too sure I'm prepared to cough up 1600 till they get it to a more developed state. 

B+
  • Gosh, it looks pretty, sounds gorgeous, and it's quite nice to see Minecraft smooth as silk and without the traditional slight glitchiness. 

But yeah, it seems too oversimplified.  Is it just the trial that starts with a full village, therefore removing the need to do, well, anything?

It's just made me want to play on PC again.  I think I might try and upgrade our iMac so we can play it better.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Well that was cool. Really enjoyed it.
  • Hmm, after spending 15 mins faffing around with the demo I might actually have to buy this, although I'm concerned what a timesink it may end up being as it's just such a pretty toybox.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!