Fallout 4
  • You are probably just a bit shit across the board stat-wise after only 2 hours.
    My advice is to focus stats into a certain weapon type, melee, small or heavy. First playthrough I would focus on small weapons as they are the most readily available.
  • Thanks. It hasn't been particularly challenging so far. How do i put stats into a particular weapon type? All i see is strength/agility/whatever
  • You have to select the correct perk. e.g Gunslinger will improve stats for all handguns.
    These are selectable when you level up form the perk screen. It is a grid of animated blokes doing things like firing a gun or detecting mines, or being a vampire.
  • Ummm. So i got to concord. Got the power claw. Killed all the people and the deathclaw then the quest completed and said i had 'put the fusion core in the power armour.' I had not. I'm guessing i was supposed to do that before killing the deathclaw? No wonder that bit was so hard.
  • Lol, you were supposed to use the power armour on the roof of the building to combat it, IIRC.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    This seems like an appropriate time to post this:

That looks like fun! I'll grab a Game of the Year edition for a second play through sometime next year.

Get schwifty.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Lol, you were supposed to use the power armour on the roof of the building to combat it, IIRC.

Yeah. Oh well im fucking hard ain't i.
  • You're a soft wasteland pussy if you ain't playing on nothin but Survival.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • That's Nuka World done and dusted.  Final Fallout 4 adventure for me.  Maybe just about worth the 15 quid ( if you ain't got the season pass).  If you ever wanted to know what would happen, if only we could talk to the Raiders, this is the DLC for you. Some fabulous new armour designs and a satisfying new pop gun couldn't always disguise the fact though that a post-apocalyptic theme park could be more fun, if only it could be rendered properly.  Pop-in is so bad at times in the main-hub area that vital quest giving npcs disappear because the scenery around them hasn't loaded-in yet, with chunks of the world materializing mere inches from your face as you walk around.   Not good.

Luckily Inon Zur hits the soundtrack out of the theme park and some cool new enemies help keep things fresh.  The new Raider Radio Station is also a hoot.  Pity the main quests in the park itself amount to little more  than 'fetch that and kill those people over there'.  The oddest omission is the ability to enslave npcs despite the fact that you're asked to set up raider camps across the commonwealth and all the park traders are wearing slave collars themselves.  Still, the new landscape is strangely reminiscent of New Vegas at times and can still conjure up some delightful vistas.  So long Fallout, and thanks for the ride.

Cso6UrdW8AA4lQ5.jpg
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I've only played this up to Diamond City(?) then stopped. I'm not sure I can be arsed - although you guys make it sound like great fun - even though I loved F3.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I had a lot of fun with it but they've not really built on the best bits of 3 so I can see why people have fallout fatigue.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yeah I loved 3 but 4 didn't grab me in the same way. Too much base building not enough intriguing side quests.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    In some ways it does feel like Bethesda dropped the ball with F4 and, while I haven't played any of the DLC yet, the apparent preponderance of base building add-ons only makes the final package just that bit less attractive.

I did have a lot of fun with the base game, and I will return, but I was expecting a bigger leap with Beth's first game on the current gen. I hope they step it up for the next Elder Scrolls.
    Get schwifty.
  • I'm just not that interested in building sheds.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Gremill wrote:
    I've only played this up to Diamond City(?) then stopped. I'm not sure I can be arsed - although you guys make it sound like great fun - even though I loved F3.

It's not you Grem, this game is some unengaging hot garbo compared to 3 or New Vegas. I think Bethesda have run out of ideas or don't care about trying to maintain a coherent world anymore.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I didn't find much incoherent about the world they created.  Sure you can blather on, like you've done in previous posts here, about how seemingly idiotic the Fallout boy reels are that depict mutated animals that no one knows exists yet, or despair at why there's a fresh chunk of radroach meat to be found in a Vault that's been sealed for a hundred years or wotever; that's just inane nickpicking.  Better to revel in the beautifully decrepit world they've engineered and wonder why more games can't display the same level of ambition.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You can't revel in the world when your immersion in it is constantly broken.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I dunno, I think you can if you don't take it seriously.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yeah for sure you can. You can't over think most games.
    The Forum Herald™
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I just found it a bit boring. Loved three and even Vegas, but this didn't grab me.  Hopefully when I get back to giving it another go it will get its hooks into me.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've slept on it but I still don't understand Bob's comment.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Ive stopped trying.
  • Well, if you drill down into what's logical and even realistic you'd apparently lose immersion in most games.

For instance and just for example why is every single laptop in deus ex that you can use exactly the same model (orange for personal/ blue for security)

Why can't rpg characters jump?

Although it's ironic that there's not much thinking going on in this thread.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I think some of the frustration for people comes from it appearing just careless.
    Take the example above, fresh meat in a long sealed vault. It would have been no more effort for the developer to make that a non-perishable, pre-war food item instead. So while it isn't a game breaker it shows a lack of thought in their own product.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Aye, it's not game breaking but surely they could designate whatever you find behind a sealed door as a pre-war container and randomly fill it from the pool of pre-war clutter. Just a small thing, but it does break immersion in the world and slap you in the face with a big rubber kipper with 'YOU'RE PLAYING A VIDEOGAME' printed on it.

The Deus Ex thing isn't the same. I don't want a unique laptop for every character and I understand why devs reuse assets, but at the same time I don't want to find a laptop hidden in an air vent or anywhere else they shouldn't be. Also I assume the colour coding serves the gameplay, so again, I can understand that.

Not being able to jump in games is equally immersion breaking if you feel like you should be able to. Not sure what you're getting at there Bob.
  • Who can't jump?

Why would every computer be the same? Has apple taken over?

How do you know no other explorer has been in a vault?

It's a game. Not a documentary.
    The Forum Herald™
  • It's a game that has already set it's own lore and setting in the previous tabletop adventure and the previous games. Fallout 4 takes all that, and fucks it in the bin so that they can throw cryogenic time travel, guns, ammo, armour, crafting materials, flying fortresses, vertibird swarms and androids that are indistinguishable from people at the player.

I look forward to Fallout 5 where they are going to try and one up all of that. 

There is a game that you can enjoy in Fallout 4, if you aren't interested in the other games or the lore or role playing in a role playing game. 

If you like action 1st/3rd person games with character progression then Fallout 4 is good for that. But it is not the type of thing I want to see in a game after I played F1, F2, Tactics, Van Buren demo, F3, NV.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yeah I Remeber you not being a fan.

The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    Who can't jump?

White men?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Who can't jump?

Why would every computer be the same? Has apple taken over?

How do you know no other explorer has been in a vault?

It's a game. Not a documentary.

No one jumps without a reason to do so. Loads of games exist where the protag can't jump, but it's designed around that so it doesn't break the immersion of the world. So you're looking for a key to a door, a ladder to climb, stuff that doesn't involve jumping. At no point should your character be in a position where jumping would seem to be the solution to a problem if you can't actually do it in game, as the illusion of actually being in the game is then shattered.

All the computers are the same in my office, I don't think it's unusual. Nor do I find it immersion breaking in a game like Deus Ex.

The room I remember from Fallout 4 was only accessible by a key found on a pre-war corpse. No one had been in there, so when you put raider armour or squirrel bits or whatever just blows the whole thing. I'm not exploring a little time capsule from before the world went to shit, I'm just opening the same container which has the same stuff in as all the rest found in the world, it breaks the immersion and that's a shame.

I don't want a documentary. I don't know why you said that.

If you can't understand any of this then I'll leave it there, I don't know how else to put it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!