XBLA
  • Yeah, randomly generated stuff. Has Co-op too. I'll be grabbing it on Thursday as i'm out on wednesday. I'm not sure what other XBLA stuff is on its way this 'summer' but I think the only disk based releases I'm going for now are Resi 6, Borderlands 2 and (please oh please let it be good) Assassin's Creed 3. Really digging that American Revolution setting.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Spelunky, Deadlight, Quantum Conundrum, THPSHD, The Cave, Super T.I.M.E Force to name a few.

On a side note, did anyone try the demo of Joy Ride Turbo?
  • Don't forget to check out Elysian Tale when that drops. Will hopefully be good.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Olimite wrote:
    Spelunky, Deadlight, Quantum Conundrum, THPSHD, The Cave, Super T.I.M.E Force to name a few.

On a side note, did anyone try the demo of Joy Ride Turbo?

I dl'ed it as much for the kids as for me. Mario Kart lite really. I'd wait for it to hit half-price before taking the leap. Quite good doing Hot Wheels-esque loop the loops and gnarly, radical, cowabunga jumps miles into the air. There's a mode where you just drive round a wide area collecting trophies floating in the air. Easy Sunday Morning (Hangover) Gaming.

• isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Spelunky Dling from the Xbox marketplace now folks. Instabuy on the strength of all the reviews I've seen to date.. will I regret this rashness? Will know in ~46% time.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Downloaded Joy Ride last night as a friend was raving about it.

Will queue up a trial of Spelunky now.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    BUY! BUY! BUY! Folks

Spelunky is a weird compulsive crack platformed thing thats kills you constantly. The reviews are right. I've only got to world 1-3, died countless times from all manner of beasties and traps and so far only once found myself in a dark level. I didn't last long. 
    The pressure that'll be running if you haven't died for a bit will be pretty sweaty palm stuff. I like.

It seems to have leader board action going on too.
  • isanbard wrote:
    BUY! BUY! BUY! Folks

Spelunky is a weird compulsive crack platformed thing thats kills you constantly. The reviews are right. I've only got to world 1-3, died countless times from all manner of beasties and traps and so far only once found myself in a dark level. I didn't last long. 
    The pressure that'll be running if you haven't died for a bit will be pretty sweaty palm stuff. I like.

It seems to have leader board action going on too.

Definitely getting this then, reviews have been good and sounds like great (and frustrating) fun.

Is there co-op?

• I'll get round to it after MGS3 I think.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    The multiplayer is only local, the death of which, I know can weigh heavy on certain vital organs.

I'm enjoying it so far, I was prepared to die a lot, but I'm dying a lot.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The multiplayer is local only? Fuck that then. Are they mad?
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    I remember reading that it'd been designed to be played whilst sitting next to your opponent(s), can't remember the reason, maybe so you can punch them in the face?
  • The trial left me a little cold tbh.

Although most things seem to these days.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    First half hour left me wondering, but I've seen enough to make me want to get to the end, skill levels permitting.

Was really suprised it didn't have the same price point as Fez, but I don't mind paying full whack (unusual for me) as I knew/hoped it'd be right up my street.
  • Is the couch co-op mode split screen or with both characters on the one screen?  Also, is it a limited battle mode or roughly the same as the proper game?  I'm always on the look out for decent 2D co-op games, so if it's supposed to be good I'll pick this up when it drops at some point.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Co-op mode is single screen. One char woill have a white flag and 'own' the screen, if other charas go off screen (4p possible) you quickly have a 10 sec countdown timer before they become ghost characters/dead so you have to leg it back up screen if you fall down a big hole. 
    These ghosts however can then blow powerful puffs of spectral chilly gusts that can knock the remaining alive characters off ledges and into death. I'm not sure if they could help you out in some way (ooh just remembered the ghosts do seem to be able to set off arrow traps I think??) but I've been multiplaying this with a 5yr old and a 3yr old. Co-op play isn't really on the cards… in fact they tend to just try to kill themselves as soon as possible in order to go 'ghost' and then try to blow me into the nearest enemy/spike pit. Bastards.
    In some levels you will find a big coffin that if broken will bring a ghost chara back to life.

I've found this forced single screen seems to work well as when I can get the motley crew of tiddlers into action it makes for some hilarious moments ("Treasure!! I'm blowing  through that wall. CLEAR!! .. *3yr old inevitably snuffs it* Heheh) 
    With a more attentive gang of players you could arrange to get to places with explosives or ropes or whatnot I would imagine.

This is still all in the first 3 or 4 stages of the first world. Never got any further yet. 

Haven't had a go on the battle mode so far so can't comment.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    UNDERSTAND UNDERSTAND
    UNDERSTAND UNDERSTAND
    UNDERSTAND UNDERSTAND
    THE CONCEPT THE CONCEPT OF LOVE

BWAMBWAMBURRRUBWAMBURRRURUDI

can't wait for JSR HD
  • That's from the other one though.
  • JSR was all "sheeeeez majikaru gaaarl"
  • Just downloaded and played the Spelunky trial after reading the glowing Edge review.  Thought it was a bit shit to be honest.  Delete.
  • I liked it. Pretty much what I was expecting. Not sure I'll necessarily buy it, mind.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    I can see why people would be put off, but there's a lot more depth than you initially think.

I've now died 115 times.
  • It's perfectly possible that this is one of those games to which a demo or trial cannot do justice.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I have barely played anything else for the last 24hrs tbh. I've got a pesky Mayan arsehole that needs annihilation in Civ5 and I can't see that happening with Spelunky around for now. 
    Dunno bout the demo as I just bought the bastard with jubilee points but it has scab scratching seductiveness so far. Found a secret pathway this evening and all manner of new little twists (Bastard queen wasp still needs to fucking die at least once mind...grrr!)
    I'd certainly give it a chance folks. At the very least grab it in a future sale?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    No online co-op though. Wake me up for the sequel.
  • Sega have announced NiGHTS Into Dreams HD.

A remake of the wonderful Saturn game on it's way to XBLA and PSN.

Best announcement for many a year, IMO.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Didn't capcom announce some sort of HD package yesterday too - could possibly have been Marvel Super Heroes + Marvel vs Capcom 1
  • I gave the Spelunky demo a go last night. For all the raving the press are doing about it, it didn't really push any buttons.
  • Booked a random holiday from work today.  It's become a bit of a tradition for me to spend a few hours with a XBLA game I've got in the backlog when I do that, so I'm currently considering Stacking, Outland, Bangai-O HD, Shadow Complex, The Maw, or finishing Fez.  I'm assuming Scott Pilgim, Trine 2 and Renegade Ops are far better in co-op, so they can wait.  Does anyone have anything particularly good or bad to say about those games to help me decide?  I know how good Fez is, I'm probably four hours in, but was put off by a few stories about the latest patch wiping people's saves....

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!