XBLA
  • Shadow Complex is a lot of fun as a Metroid lite. It is a little drab on the visual side but it scratches that item-to-unlock-new-area itch in a good way.

Stacking I never bothered with, the Demo I played seemed really tedious. Should give it another go really. Banai-O isn't really a game to complete in a day. More like Trials with a billion rockets.

• Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I can vouch for Stacking, Outland and The Maw. All excellent.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Of that list Moot I seem to own most of them and yet only completed(ish..nowhere near 100% granted) Shadow Complex. 

If you Metroided on the SNES in particular it should feel quite snuggly. IMHO etc.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Thanks.  To be honest the thing that's put me off playing Shadow Complex is that I've never really played any Metroid properly (or a non straight platforming Castlevania for that matter).  Four hours of Prime, 90 minutes of Fusion.....I'd almost feel like I was being disrespectful by playing Shadow Complex first, although I did put an hour in a couple of years ago. 

Is Outland any good in co-op?  Anything I can save for two player sessions I will, so I'm currently torn between Shadow Complex and Stacking (I liked the demo enough to grab it at 600 points).  I'll get plenty of abuse off a mate if he sees me playing Shadow Complex, as he's tried to force feed me Metroid games for ten years.  Decisions, decisions....
  • Bangai-o is rock hard.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Play Super Metroid instead of Shadow Complex.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Stacking will keep you busy, for sure.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I'd probably do a decent metroid before Shadow if I were you Moot. It's a decent enough pastiche but metroid did it better.

Stacking tends to put a smile on my face when I do get round to having a crack, outland's art style seemed a little bleak but I've barely scratched the surface of that one (nice animation iirc though?).

I did have a bit of a giggle on Gatling Gears yesterday now I think. I'm sure I picked that up in a sale ages ago too. 2P shooty bang bang Mech robot thing that may not be genre defining perhaps but a pretty well done version all the same. Big explosions, lots of noise, guns, upgrading guns etc…
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Right, so I'm gonna play Stacking this afternoon, and Super Metoid on either the Virtual Console or my amazing yet highly illegal Cannoo handheld emulator at some point.  I usually complete one or two Megadrive/Master System games per week on my lunch break.  The SNES emulator isn't quite as good, but I'm sure it'll do.  After I've completed Metroid at some point in the not too distant future I'll carry on with Shadow Complex, as it did seem pretty good from what I played.  Thanks for the advice.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    But Bangai-O is the only exciting one.  Ok the only other one I've played in full is Outland, which isn't terrible, just a little too simplistic and undemanding.

Spelunky bored me, too.
  • Bangai-O on Dreamcast probably still scrapes into my top 15 or so games ever, I absolutely loved it, but I have to admit that during the nine levels I've played on the new one, I had my arse handed to me several times.  Multiple times on the third stage...
  • Moot, good one. Super Metroid is super amazing. Looked on eBay last night, the big box version on SNES goes for good money. Not that I will ever sell it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I can reccomend both Outland and Shadiw Complex, I loved them both.
  • You have to learn the new mechanics with Bangai-o, it's very different to the DC and DS versions.

The only thing I don't like about it is the level time limit.  Other than that it's ace.

Outland is also rather wicked.
  • I'm glad I picked Stacking, because it's brilliant.  I love the multiple ways you can solve puzzles, which has actually made me go back and resolve everything at least once so far.  I can't think of anything quite like it.  I've finished the ocean liner level, and have just boarded the zeppelin.  I'm loving the style, humour and lightness of touch.  A great day off so far.  Now for an afternoon nap....
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    You have to learn the new mechanics with Bangai-o, it's very different to the DC and DS versions.

I'll definitely sit down with it at some point.  I'll probably have to start again though, but I won't leave it unfinished.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    What's Outland?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    2D MetroidVania spliced with Ikaruga. There's a demo on the marketplace I think.
  • It's a stylised Ubisoft platformer with a sword, and some sort of Ikargua-ish colour themed gameplay going on, kind of a platformer/bullet hell hybrid.  I played the demo for a couple of minutes, liked it and bought the game when it was 400 points.

Edit: Which is what Paul said, but it takes me ages to type.
  • Yeah, I have most of the same backlog. Maw, Outland and Stacking. I dropped them and they're kind of hard to get back into.
    XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP
  • I just found out Outland lacks local co-op, despite being fully playable online.  In almost the mirror opposite of Paul The Sparky's Sperlunky grievances yesterday, this has pissed me off.  What single screen co-op game doesn't allow local play?  Guess I'll scratch that off my list of games night titles and give the single player a go at some point. 

I feel like I should play The Maw, because I've finished every non Kinect game Twisted Pixel has released (even the hit and miss mess that is Comic Jumper), but the first 45 minutes didn't grab me.  There wasn't enough platforming for my liking; I'd mistakenly bought it expecting a 3D platformer.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Stacking is great, even bought and finished the DLC for it (when it was on sale though). Such a simple concept, but like you said, all the different solutions to things make you realize they can often be approached in different ways. 

I didn't like Shadow Complex that much, couldn't get on with the it's a 2d platformer but there are things that will shoot at you from another depth level. Made Bas finish it for me.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I loved Shadow Complex, regarding the other XBLA titles I think I'll only be getting Deadlight or whatever it's called...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I don't think I'll be getting any of them, they all look pretty rubbish. We'll see come demo time I guess.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tried Spelunky out just in case it was decent on your own. It was ok I suppose, but from the videos I saw I was hoping it would be a Lost Vikings update with online co-op where you really had to help each other out. Shame.

I'll probably get Deadlight, but since nowt else floats my boat I'll hopefully wait until it's deal of the week.
  • I can't even beat the Spelunky demo, I've died in about 20 unique ways so far.
  • Monday Night Combat - is it yes or is it no?
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    As well as Quantum Conundrum this week (yay!) we have Zuma's Revenge this week.

Upcoming in September is Marvel Vs Capcom Origins.

• Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    ...and here's the trailer to the recently announced remake of Nights Into Dreams.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!