Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Thinking of watching The Wailing tonight. Any good?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The Wailing is brilliant.
    Get schwifty.
  • That's tonight's viewing sorted then, cheers fellas!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • All right, stop Wailing on about it...
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Rewatched Bergman's The Seventh Seal.

To say that a film about a Knight and his Squire returning from the Crusades to a plague ridden land who is trying to hold off the Angel of Death by diverting him playing Chess has some moments of levity comes as a surprise to me.

This is the director's most famous work with its iconic opening. Max Von Sydow plays the lead and looks every bit the part - he's an icon himself.

It's quite gloomy and it portrays a bleak outlook as the film wrestles with faith and its requirements but it remains engaging. Not one to chill out with. It's a challenging watch as it demands consideration. But it is watchable and doesn't outstay its welcome at 90-odd minutes. I'd maybe not start with this one if looking to explore Bergman but it should be watched at some point.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I don’t know why I haven’t yet watched The Seventh Seal.  It really does sound like my sort of thing.
    Get schwifty.
  • I watched it for the first time a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. It is more palatable to modern tastes than I expected.
  • Finally made time to watch Arrival. That's a film that'll stay with me for a while.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I absolutely love it. Still remember it in the cinema. Watched it half a dozen times since and it gets better with rewatching.
  • That choice though. Jesus.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Spoiler:
    Spoilers just in case
  • Spoiler:
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

• Amazing movie. Hell of a thing to make a movie like that and still have it be a cinema hit.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think Arrival suffered from the broo-hah Interstellar got.  Arrival's a great one and is one for rewatching.
  • I don't think it did, it also had the luxury of being based on a very good short story too.
  • Riding the Denis wave after Arrival I watched Prisoners today.  That is not a fun film.  Performances aside, and most of the principles are great, it's 2.5 hours of leaden skies and leaden people doing things they shouldn't do.
  • I think that's my least favourite of his, but it's ok.
  • Nobody. I thought it was watchable, 2.5, maybe 3 stars at most.

Spoiler stuff:
    Spoiler:
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Riding the Denis wave after Arrival I watched Prisoners today.  That is not a fun film.  Performances aside, and most of the principles are great, it's 2.5 hours of leaden skies and leaden people doing things they shouldn't do.

Prisoners is brutal

PSN - minkymu
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Finally made time to watch Arrival. That's a film that'll stay with me for a while.

Yep.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK wrote:
    I think Arrival suffered from the broo-hah Interstellar got.  Arrival's a great one and is one for rewatching.

I thought Interstellar was going to be brilliant because science, and Arrival a bit rubbish because not science. Turned out Arrival was way better (and way braver) on the science stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah. Interstellar had the Nolan factor too. It's more about relationships and love really despite its technological look.

Have to say I enjoy them both equally.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I felt like there was much more to the science stuff in Interstellar than Arrival, although that may be because I’d been teaching English for a while when I saw it so found the linguistic stuff in Arrival to be pretty basic, and there wasn’t a great deal more to the science in it than that. I found it much more interesting exploring time dilation in Interstellar.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I felt like there was much more to the science stuff in Interstellar than Arrival, although that may be because I’d been teaching English for a while when I saw it so found the linguistic stuff in Arrival to be pretty basic, and there wasn’t a great deal more to the science in it than that. I found it much more interesting exploring time dilation in Interstellar.

I guess they're both good then in different ways then. I know more about science than linguistics, yet I thought the idea of time was better explored in Arrival. It's an outrageous thought that time is an illusion, but brave and clever people have argued this is possibly the case. I was amazed it even touched upon the subject but instead it was the central theme. Loved it.
  • And tbf there is way much more actual science stuff in Interstellar, so fair play there. Arrival was much braver in the future of maybe science, so fair play there too.
  • Arrival is one that should tick every single one of my boxes going but for whatever reason I haven't watched it yet. Visiting my old work later this week to pick up a vinyl so I'll see about the 4k when I'm in.

Prisoners was good but v bleak.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Watched The Master at the weekend, can’t think of any likeable characters throughout the entire film, will not watch again.
    Things can only get better.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!