Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Watched this Korean flick, homunculus, so none of you have to.
  • Im not finished Stowaway yet but I have to say I thought they did the launch pretty well. I got a real feeling of claustrophobia watching it. Same with them on the larger ship, felt so damn tight in there.  Uuugh.

Yeah that bit was good, but where I felt it dropped the ball in the special effects department was the space walk bit. Remember 2010 where the two astronauts are having to traverse on to this massive rotating space hulk? The sense of vertigo you got watching that was just immense - god knows what it must have felt like in the cinema. But I just didn't get that same sense of dread when watching this latter-day spacewalk. They certainly didn't have Gravity's special effects budget either.

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Remember 2010 where the two astronauts are having to traverse on to this massive rotating space hulk? The sense of vertigo you got watching that was just immense - god knows what it must have felt like in the cinema.
    That was incredible on the big screen. Utterly terrifying.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    2010 was a very fine film. Watched it a couple of times - I think I must have recorded it on tape.

Yes. I said tape.

Took delivery of a region free BluRay player yesterday. Looking at a few US Criterion releases.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    Took delivery of a region free BluRay player yesterday. Looking at a few US Criterion releases.

Nice.  I have a bit of a collection of US discs from before UK Criterion was a thing.  Haven't bought any US discs in ages due to the costs though, instead choosing to wait for UK releases.  Some just don't get released here though, so I'll just have to bite the bullet and import.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Im not finished Stowaway yet but I have to say I thought they did the launch pretty well. I got a real feeling of claustrophobia watching it. Same with them on the larger ship, felt so damn tight in there.  Uuugh.
    Yeah that bit was good, but where I felt it dropped the ball in the special effects department was the space walk bit. Remember 2010 where the two astronauts are having to traverse on to this massive rotating space hulk? The sense of vertigo you got watching that was just immense - god knows what it must have felt like in the cinema. But I just didn't get that same sense of dread when watching this latter-day spacewalk. They certainly didn't have Gravity's special effects budget either.
    Cant remmber the 2010 spacewalk. Im waiting on my new tv (hopefully delivered today) to rewatch some classics like 2001,2010, LOTR etc. 
    I finished Stowaway and I have to disagree. My head was reeling at the space walk.  I think it was partially the spinning background of space that contributed. There was a shot of Dr Death leaning over the side of the rocket and it was just...uuuugh.

The film itself though was hugely disappointing. The story revealed very little and was ultimately kinda pointless. Did we ever find out why the Stowaway...stowed away?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Nice.  I have a bit of a collection of US discs from before UK Criterion was a thing.  Haven't bought any US discs in ages due to the costs though, instead choosing to wait for UK releases.  Some just don't get released here though, so I'll just have to bite the bullet and import.

Aye. Have a hankering for Criterion BluRay of Fanny and Alexander which is stubbornly US only. 1954 Godzilla is another.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I want to watch 2010 again now.
  • £3.50 to rent on Amazon etc.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Can't remember which film thread the Alien: Covenant 'script pitch' video was posted, but I've been enjoying others in the series and just came across one for A Quiet Place which sums up many of my thoughts about it (I have to say that I find the large eyed cover images quite disturbing though):

• Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Love Pitch Meeting.  Watchmen was one of the best.  I know someone who'd never watched any because they were freaked out by the big eyes.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Love Pitch Meeting.  Watchmen was one of the best.  I know someone who'd never watched any because they were freaked out by the big eyes.

I will seek it out.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Sought it out, enjoyed it, but then noticed one for Ready Player One which was even better.
  • Pitch Meeting is awesome.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • jdanielp wrote:
    I will seek it out.
    As will I!!
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    jdanielp wrote:
    I will seek it out.
    As will I!!

It was super easy, barely an inconvenience!
  • jdanielp wrote:
    jdanielp wrote:
    I will seek it out.
    As will I!!
    It was super easy, barely an inconvenience!
    Huzzah!!!!  Onward ho!
  • davyK wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Aye. Have a hankering for Criterion BluRay of Fanny and Alexander which is stubbornly US only. 1954 Godzilla is another.

You into Tarkovsky at all? Just saw that Mirror is coming to UK in June. Insta purchase.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Only Tarkovsky I've seen is Solaris.   I've yet to see Stalker but it's on my list and it's got a UK release anyhow.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a bonkers Bergman collection boxset on something like 30 BluRays.....£250-£300.

I'd be better just going for a handful of my favourites before committing to that though. However I haven't seen a Bergman I didn't like. I watched quite a few when I had a free MUBI trial.

Saw someone snaffle it from the Criterion closet - I keep watching those videos - good for building up a to watch list.
  • I’ve been after the Bergman boxset for years. Tried to get it from US via people with no luck. Will either just import it via some site like WowHD or take up Nina on her earlier offer of sending it but will wait for a sale first. 

Gutted I didn’t have the cash or guts to buy the Kurosawa boxset years and years ago.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a sweet looking Zatoichi set too. I've only ever watched one of those - was a modern one. Excellent fun.
  • I’ve only ever seen the modern (Takeshi Kitano) one. Keen to get the boxset. Again, waiting on a sale!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    2003 one? With the splendid dance scene at the end?  Great stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Good old Wifey bought me Criterion Stalker. 55 today. :)
  • Happy Birthday! Enjoy Stalker. Beautiful movie.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cheers Chaps.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!