Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Good old Wifey bought me Criterion Stalker. 55 today. :)

Happy birthday! Hope Criterion Stalker fulfills your most deeply held desires.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.   :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • lol @boris

Happy birthday Davy!!
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Happy b'day Davy :)
  • Happy Davy Day. Enjoy the film, I’ve never seen it. Or heard of it.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • jdanielp wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Happy birthday! Hope Criterion Stalker fulfills your most deeply held desires.

Good one.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Thanks again folks.  :)

Taking a half day to go for a wander with an old chum I haven't seen in ages.
  • Cronenberg!
    David Cronenberg is gearing up for a 30-day shoot in Greece for a new science-fiction movie titled “Crimes of the Future” starring Viggo Mortensen. Cronenberg fans might recognise the title, as the writer-director made a film of the same name in 1970 about a dermatological clinic director searching for his mentor in the midst of a plague that has killed off women.

Mortensen described his upcoming Cronenberg movie as returning to the director’s body horror origins, plus having elements of a “film noir story.”

“It’s something he wrote a long time ago, and he never got it made,” Mortensen told GQ magazine. “Now he’s refined it, and he wants to shoot it. Hopefully, it’ll be this summer we’ll be filming. I would say, without giving the story away, he’s going maybe a little bit back to his origins.”
  • That ticks my excitement box
  • So tonight I did watch that there Palm Springs movie what people have been recommending here recently.
    ...and it's really good, and you can find it on Amazon Prime.
    I'll say no more than it takes massive balls to take on Groundhog Day at it's own game, but this goes toe to toe and doesn't embarrass itself at all.
    It's funny and charming and dark and silly, and I did thoroughly enjoy it. 
    Great cast, great soundtrack and great cinematography are the icing on the cake.

two thumbs up

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s incredibly good. It’s sharp, funny and clever. I can’t complain about it at all.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm hammered.

Going to bed now. :)

Films are great.

Movies are fun.

Gina is lovely. I think it's the eyes. Makes me go all wobbly.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's quite a litany. There's a new thread on this topic now.
  • Friday Family Night has led to an absolute gem of a film. The Mitchells vs The Machines! It’s only just been added to Netflix and it’s brilliant.

It’s by the people behind into the spider verse so you get the excellent humour from Lord and Miller combined with the usual bucket full of heart.

And then you have the animation which is absolutely jaw droppingly beautiful. It got a perfect score from the entire family and I may have shed a tear or two but I blame that on the bottle of wine.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Tonight I watched Starfish (on Prime).  It’s a sort of art house, emo end-of-the-world fable...type thing.  The pace is languid, and actress Virginia Gardner—who’s very nice to look at—has to carry the whole thing, and she does it well.  It’s nicely shot, has some great music in it, and absolutely isn’t going to be most folks cup of tea.  I liked it quite a bit.
    Get schwifty.
  • Without remorse, the tom clancy jack ryan verse set film with michael b jordan.

Pretty good tbf. Sets us the origin of rainbow six.

7/10
    PSN - minkymu
  • davyK wrote:

Happy Birthday old bean. I didn't realise it was yours too!
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK wrote:
    There's a bonkers Bergman collection boxset on something like 30 BluRays.....£250-£300.

I'd be better just going for a handful of my favourites before committing to that though. However I haven't seen a Bergman I didn't like. I watched quite a few when I had a free MUBI trial.

Saw someone snaffle it from the Criterion closet - I keep watching those videos - good for building up a to watch list.

I really need to watch some Bergman. Considering I feel like I'm a bit of a film nerd I'm not sure why he wasn't on my radar earlier. It's only really been recently since hearing Ari Aster and Robert Eggers talking about his stuff that made me want to check it out.

Any recs on where to start?

And happy birthday!
  • Friday Family Night has led to an absolute gem of a film. The Mitchells vs The Machines! It’s only just been added to Netflix and it’s brilliant.

It’s by the people behind into the spider verse so you get the excellent humour from Lord and Miller combined with the usual bucket full of heart.

And then you have the animation which is absolutely jaw droppingly beautiful. It got a perfect score from the entire family and I may have shed a tear or two but I blame that on the bottle of wine.

Sounds great! I'll check it out
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    [I really need to watch some Bergman. Considering I feel like I'm a bit of a film nerd I'm not sure why he wasn't on my radar earlier. It's only really been recently since hearing Ari Aster and Robert Eggers talking about his stuff that made me want to check it out. Any recs on where to start? 

Fanny and Alexander is by far his most accessible. There are 2 versions of it - a 5 hr TV version and a 3hr theatrical cut. The 5hr version is on DVD released by Artificial Eye and isn't expensive if you can't find it digitally. I would wait until later in the year to watch it as the first hour or so is set in a Christmas Party and you will enjoy it all the more then. I'd go for the longer cut as I don't recall ever thinking anything should be cut. It's a more narrative led film than his other work - it's an almost Dickensian tale and is truly excellent.

The Daddy is the Seventh Seal with the iconic chess match with Death. I found it a bit impenetrable to be honest but I haven't watched it in an age and should probably put that straight. All Bergman I have rewatched has been better.

My two other favourites are Persona and Wild Strawberries. Two very human stories and are the archetypal Bergman film.

There's a clutch I watched when I had my free trial of Mubi. I enjoyed them all - Autumn Sonata, Winter Light, The Silence and Saraband are on there. Saraband is a sequel to Scenes from a Marriage which I haven't seen but is supposed to be top tier. I'd pick Autumn Sonata first out the Mubi content.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Happy Birthday old bean. I didn't realise it was yours too!

You and I with the same b-day? Splendid.

I came on here to post about this. It’s had remarkably little fanfare, but it’s an absolutely superb family film. It’s a little heavy handed with its message at times, but none the less, it’s incredibly well made and frequently hilarious. If you’d told me a few years ago that Sony Animation were the studio to watch I’d have laughed at you, but between Spiderverse and this they’re developing a nice catalogue of well crafted movies with a distinct visual style.

It frankly deserved better than to get quietly slipped onto Netflix.
  • Lord and Miller have a golden touch. Love their work.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Noted.

I watched Love and Monsters last night and thought it was good fun. I think it'll be a canny one for Nate, plenty of peril but no gore
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I thought it was great. Perfect family fun film and nice n short too. More films take note. Editing is welcome.
  • Started watching the Mitchell's vs the machines last night after recommendations here. Was good but it's long so had to stop for the kids going to bed
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!