Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Finally watched Arrival then. Yep, very good. Need a bit more from what it left me with though. Any good articles?
    i think it's based on a short story? if so, that might be worth checking out
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • It's called Story of Your Life, by Ted Chiang
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Finally watched Arrival then. Yep, very good. Need a bit more from what it left me with though. Any good articles?

Leave it a while and rewatch. It grew in my estimations and I got more from it. When I first watched it I had it in the category of "watch it once and because of the reveal it spoils it for a repeat viewing". But it is far from that. It really does require it but only after several weeks I'd say.  That's my tuppence worth at any rate.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Agreed.
  • Anyone watched Nomadland yet? Worth a watch?

Yep and yep. It is pretty bleak but there’s a wholesome message in there.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Anyone watched Nomadland yet? Worth a watch?

It’s definitely worth watching.  Most of the time I felt like I was watching the most beautifully shot documentary ever made - one where the main subject just happened to bear an uncanny resemblance to Frances McDormand.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I shall not watch that 2 hour advert for Amazon
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Don't think it's very flattering for Amazon, really. It's not a direct criticism of them but it's fairly clear they are fueling modern poverty and homelessness.
  • Yeah, anyone who comes out of that thinking it’s an advert for amazon is pretty deluded.
  • davyK wrote:
    Finally watched Arrival then. Yep, very good. Need a bit more from what it left me with though. Any good articles?

Leave it a while and rewatch. It grew in my estimations and I got more from it. When I first watched it I had it in the category of "watch it once and because of the reveal it spoils it for a repeat viewing". But it is far from that. It really does require it but only after several weeks I'd say.  That's my tuppence worth at any rate.

They got the sound levels wrong in the helicopter part at the beginning. Really irritates me.
  • What's the Amazon thing? Nomadland?
  • Yeah, she does some temp work in an amazon warehouse and it’s basically not a sweatshop so must be pro amazon or something. It’s a small part of the story, though not totally insignificant.
  • I watched Mitchells vs the Machines earlier and thought it was fantastic.

So visually rich and engaging.
  • Just watched Good Morning Vietnam for the first time in about 25 years. It still stands up. What I hadn't noticed about it before is how well it's directed. It feels very documentary at times and very in the moment - Williams is at his best when he's not doing the DJ thing and shows some real chops. Forest Whitaker is brilliant too, as is the rest of the cast. It's made me want to revisit all of the Vietnam war films of my youth, but I've got no idea where to start.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Watching some less well know Akira Kurosawa.  I like some of his films but I don't get why all of them are so highly rated.  The stories are good but they're all over long and over acted.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I watched Mitchells vs the Machines earlier and thought it was fantastic.

So visually rich and engaging.

We just finished it for family movie night.
    Its very, very good.

• Watching some less well know Akira Kurosawa.  I like some of his films but I don't get why all of them are so highly rated.  The stories are good but they're all over long and over acted.

What’re ya watching? I haven’t seen some of his old really lesser known films (Sanshiro Sugata, Men Who Tread on Tiger’s Tails, No Regrets for our Youth etc) but have seen a lot of his films and love most of them. I don’t think any of his films that I’ve seen are anything less than good. My favourite director by far.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    In the Earth. Really enjoyed this. Wheatly is wearing his influences on his sleeve - Hammer, Carpenter, old 70s/80s weird stuff like Sapphire and Steel, Children of the Stones. Likes his psychedelics, I think.
  • Where did you watch this, I thought it wasn't out for another few months or so?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's streaming somewhere form today but I'm not sure where. High seas version.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Watching some less well know Akira Kurosawa.  I like some of his films but I don't get why all of them are so highly rated.  The stories are good but they're all over long and over acted.
    What’re ya watching? I haven’t seen some of his old really lesser known films (Sanshiro Sugata, Men Who Tread on Tiger’s Tails, No Regrets for our Youth etc) but have seen a lot of his films and love most of them. I don’t think any of his films that I’ve seen are anything less than good. My favourite director by far.
    Not super obscure.  I Watched Drunken Angel and The Bad Sleep Well.  Not saying they're bad, I like the stories, but most of his films feel way too sluggish to me.

Was going to watch Stray Dog and High & Low but they were in the wrong ratio.
  • Ah. I love slow (wouldn’t say sluggish, that sounds negative). I actually love scenes where he has characters just sitting there staring into space. Of the ones you mentioned above, Drunken Angel would feature at the bottom for me, but the others are (in my opinion) superb.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Think I liked Drunken Angel more than most.

I like characters staring off into space when it's a study of a really well-drawn, complicated character, with a lot going on beneath the surface.  But Kurosawa stories are melodramas so the characters are simpler, and the slow moments feel empty to me.
  • Just watched Tenet... definitely not worth risking Corona for last year.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Gamermike wrote:
    Just watched Tenet... definitely not worth risking Corona for last year.

Haha, that was absolutely my reaction after I'd finished it and I'd been really tempted to risk it as well.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK wrote:
    [I really need to watch some Bergman. Considering I feel like I'm a bit of a film nerd I'm not sure why he wasn't on my radar earlier. It's only really been recently since hearing Ari Aster and Robert Eggers talking about his stuff that made me want to check it out. Any recs on where to start? 
    Fanny and Alexander is by far his most accessible. There are 2 versions of it - a 5 hr TV version and a 3hr theatrical cut. The 5hr version is on DVD released by Artificial Eye and isn't expensive if you can't find it digitally. I would wait until later in the year to watch it as the first hour or so is set in a Christmas Party and you will enjoy it all the more then. I'd go for the longer cut as I don't recall ever thinking anything should be cut. It's a more narrative led film than his other work - it's an almost Dickensian tale and is truly excellent. The Daddy is the Seventh Seal with the iconic chess match with Death. I found it a bit impenetrable to be honest but I haven't watched it in an age and should probably put that straight. All Bergman I have rewatched has been better. My two other favourites are Persona and Wild Strawberries. Two very human stories and are the archetypal Bergman film. There's a clutch I watched when I had my free trial of Mubi. I enjoyed them all - Autumn Sonata, Winter Light, The Silence and Saraband are on there. Saraband is a sequel to Scenes from a Marriage which I haven't seen but is supposed to be top tier. I'd pick Autumn Sonata first out the Mubi content.

Thanks mate!
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Yes please

That looks cool. Glad the giants didn't look all Attack on Titan.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Looks class

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!