Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I spotted it straight away. I thought the tell was far too obvious. Like you I was just then waiting for the end.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Girl on the Train is really boring. It has a fairly basic mystery which they jumble up with time jumps and lies and somehow everything makes sense about 2/3 of the way through leaving something really dull to watch.

QFPT
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I thought I might watch that a few weeks ago. It turns out there's a Bollywood version on Netflix, not the original. I was about 20 minutes into it before I realised something was up.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Flick Vault on YT has The Hustler, Capricorn One and Scum - all at HD quality for free. There's plenty other stuff there but they are the choice picks for me.
    Didn't know there were whole movies legally on there (mostly pretty obscure though).  Repulsion and Brief Encounter are also good.
  • The Hustler is an all-timer.

Girl on the Train was so fucking disappointing. Hyped up as ‘the next Gone Girl’ and it was absolute lukewarm piss in comparison.
  • Was the tell that there was a girl, and she was on a train?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I watched King of New York last night after a recommendation from someone during FNF. It’s remarkable how a film with a premise and cast as good as that turned out so bad. Avoid.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Ooo Capricorn One. I remember as a kid (think I was 12) that was my first experience of government corruption.

Same. Its fed my doubt of the moon landing ever since

PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Was the tell that there was a girl, and she was on a train?

As I recall it was...
    Spoiler:

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Nobody, with Bob Odenkirk. I thought this would be played more obviously as a comedy, but instead it's just over the top action shit. Poor.

Thought this was great fun. Didn't think it took.itself seriously at all and had some great dark comedy moments in there.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No, it didn't take itself seriously at all but I expected it to go more into comedy really. I expected something different.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It doesn't for a lot of it, more subtle stuff, but that ending is fucking fantastic.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I watched King of New York last night after a recommendation from someone during FNF. It’s remarkable how a film with a premise and cast as good as that turned out so bad. Avoid.

It's to me just as vampy and stupid as Scarface. When you view it through that lens it doesn't seem as bad, imo. Class movie. Prime Walken chewing it all up.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    One of the major issues for me was the the whole final act was predicated on the utterly daft notion that

Spoiler:

From that point on, I just couldn’t take it seriously.
  • Kow wrote:
    It's definitely satire but it plays it way too straight. I thought it was going to be an ordinary man getting drawn into ridiculous violence, which would have been funnier and more interesting.
    I think that's how it seemed at the start of the trailer which had me interested, but even the trailer descended so far into pure action nonsense i lost interest.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Old films, now with adverts. Sigh.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56758376
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Old films, now with adverts. Sigh. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56758376

Another reason why physical media is King.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I actually find that shit fascinating. It's like that movie they are making right now with James Dean, calling it his "fourth" movie. It is terrifying and also moving into a cyberpunk world.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    davyK wrote:

There’s no particular reason to assume that these will be inserted in digital versions of films that you already own and won’t be inserted into physical media re-releases of certain films.
  • Casablanca (1942) requires an update. 4.2Gb. Continue [yes]/[no]?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    There’s no particular reason to assume that these will be inserted in digital versions of films that you already own and won’t be inserted into physical media re-releases of certain films.

Is there not?

I could easily see physical releases being tampered with. And as for digital, I'd wager the licence that no-ones reads ensures they can do whatever the hell they like. If it amounts to making more money.

I could see a future in which even physical media is compromised by a player with an always online connection that edits on the fly.

As @regmcfly says, it is a very interesting area and it will make for some content of interest. I'd not be keen on any revisionism happening due to current trends. I think we've talked about this before though - think it was about old Disney cartoons with content deemed offensive now.

It can be handled properly but I wouldn't be confident in that happening because of greed and stupidity.
  • Its worth pointing out that if studios wanted to put a can of coke into Gone with the Wind that is something they could have done quite easily for at least 10 years.
    I suspect the vast majority of cases where this software will be used will be in updating pre-existing product placement.

Modern Family was their testing ground and I think that type of content is perfect for it. Its not going to cause an upset and people repeatedly binge this type of content.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Maybe I'm paranoid about it.  But if I care for a particular film I like to have a physical copy. Product placement has never actually bothered me - I consider it documentary of the time of production. It's like seeing old newspaper ads or such like. It has an inherent value and I'd like that sort of thing to be kept safe.

Memory is a funny old thing anyhow.
  • Yeah I do agree there.
    It would be a shame for Marty McFly to go into the future diner and be presented with a Monster Energy drink instead of a Pepsi.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    We used to love finding an old newspaper when doing a rewire. Catching up with the latest happenings from 40 odd years ago is compelling stuff.

Product placement is fine if it slips by unnoticed, but then I'm not sure how effective it is if you don't notice it?
  • Pop will probably know more than me on this.

However I think a lot of it and of most marketing is about brand recognition.
    They arent trying to get you to suddenly want a Pepsi there and then, they want you to look favourably on that brand so that it may influence your decision later when you do want a soft drink.

This is why I don't think this software will be used too egregiously. They don't want you to be in Sainsburys remembering when their brand fucked your favourite movie.
  • I too enjoyed Nobody. Though I wasn't prepared for how fat Michael Ironside is now. RZA now packing a fair heft too. Good on them.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    We used to love finding an old newspaper when doing a rewire. Catching up with the latest happenings from 40 odd years ago is compelling stuff. Product placement is fine if it slips by unnoticed, but then I'm not sure how effective it is if you don't notice it?

I used to own the same Panasonic clock radio as Neo did in The Matrix.

I already owned it so it didn't sell it to me - but I noticed it straight away!!! I doubt I would have otherwise.

:)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Scout wrote:
    I too enjoyed Nobody. Though I wasn't prepared for how fat Michael Ironside is now. RZA now packing a fair heft too. Good on them.

Michael Ironside.....Scanners , V mini series, Total Recall and Starship Troopers.  Peak. Anything else he was in?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!