Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Die Hard aside, the films carry him, not the other way around.
  • For a sci fi film made in 1968, 2001 still looks fantastic. The peak of non-CGI imo.

"Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Silent running is another 70’s gem
    PSN - minkymu
  • I wonder why no one's made a remake of 2001?

I suppose the 'sequel' 2010 is ok, but hardly in the same league. Did enjoy Roy Schneider in it though.

At least a remake would feature proper CGI apes at the beginning, which is much needed.

Moon-Watcher.jpg
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Serkis was merely a child back then.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • 3177SOB.png
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • 595279c2290000bc0f3b155e.png?cache=KdW7AGGqnl&ops=1200_630

"And so I said to Kubrick, 'Stanley! , these men in ape suits you're using at the start of the film aren't even anatomically correct!', but he was having none of it."
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    I wonder why no one's made a remake of 2001?
    I’d say “because it’s a terrible idea”, but when has that ever stopped Hollywood before?
  • Probably can't turn it into something with the mass appeal required to pay for the CG.
  • It would cost a fortune and struggle to make money?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Remake a Kubrick film?

Seriously?

Anyhow....they arent apes. They are an early form of man. We share common ancestry with apes. That's all.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    I wonder why no one's made a remake of 2001?

I suppose the 'sequel' 2010 is ok, but hardly in the same league. Did enjoy Roy Schneider in it though.

At least a remake would feature proper CGI apes at the beginning, which is much needed.

Moon-Watcher.jpg

FUN FACT*: The Academy didn't nominate it for a best costume award as they thought the apes at the beginning were real rather than people in costume.

*may not actually be 'fun'.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Brand recognition is the main reason for remakes. I bet most cinema goers don't know what 2001 is.

Highlander is the one that's overdue a remake.  It's a fun concept, and there's actually room for improvement on the choreography, acting, world building, historical stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I haven't seen Highlander since it came out. I'm willing to bet it's total garbage.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I imagine the first Highlander film probably holds up.  The concept is sound and it’s all underpinned by two good performances from Lambert and Connery.  Has the honour of being trampled all over by the worst sequel of all time.  I’d be up for a Nolan remake.
    Get schwifty.
  • So long as they use the Queen music still...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
     I’d be up for a Nolan remake.

He’d keep the wires in as a practical effect.
    So long as they use the Queen music still...

They won’t but they should. We’ll get Ed Sheeran busking to Who Wants to Live Forever.

• You can't remake Highlander, there can be only one...
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Round of applause for Webbins.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    So long as they use the Queen music still...
    They won’t but they should. We’ll get Ed Sheeran busking to Who Wants to Live Forever.
    feat. Cardi B.

More likely a series of Hans Zimmer style drones.
  • Anybody remaking Highlander can piss right off. It’s perfect as it is.

The TV series was a good idea at the time. Not a remake, an exploration of something else in the same world.
  • I watched annihilation last night after reading it was a similar concept to color out of space. I think I liked Annihilation a little better. I think the main reason is that it feels less rooted in trying to scare a viewer with grossness or entertaining the person watching. In a way - to me -it feels like it creates a more consistent idea about what this alien would do while the alien in Color feels like it does the ratcheting cool thing for a viewer which means its effects are less organic in a way.

I also liked the concept of annihilation which feels like predator but where the alien that manages to cross space is actually more hardy than the guy who pumps iron.

So yeah it was pretty good.

One thing I don’t like is 4k movies taking up 2/3 of my 4k tv. How can it be called 4k if 33 percent is black?! Even worse and more unforgivable was that annihilation has a principle release on TV via netflix!
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Anybody remaking Highlander can piss right off. It’s perfect as it is. The TV series was a good idea at the time. Not a remake, an exploration of something else in the same world.
    Bags of potential in exploring his (or another immortal's) adventures through the centuries.  I think the TV show went into that a bit more.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    One thing I don’t like is 4k movies taking up 2/3 of my 4k tv. How can it be called 4k if 33 percent is black?! Even worse and more unforgivable was that annihilation has a principle release on TV via netflix!
    4K refers to the horizontal resolution so it's technically still 4K.  But yeah, they should be making it for the screens they know everyone's going to be using to watch it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Those black pixels are as sharp as the other colours Crayon you racist ;-)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The idea behind 2001 which was expressed in an Arthur C Clarke short story called The Sentinel could be revisited. Would be good to see that but without the 2001 moniker.

The 2001 story as expressed in the novel of the film was a collaborative effort between Clarke and Kubrick as they developed the screenplay. The novel is a version of that. That is probably best left alone re film translation....I couldnt see such a ponderous piece doing business even if it was done well anyhow. Solaris. :(

2010 was an enjoyable followup.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Especially on my oled. True black and all that
    b0r1s wrote:
    Those black pixels are as sharp as the other colours Crayon you racist ;-)

PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Whoever put me on to Molly’s Game thank you.

Typically sharp Sorkin dialogue and exposition with the added benefit of Chastain on top form having fun and looking chef’s kiss.

Chemistry with Elba is spot on too. Only an hour in but absolutely my kind of film.
  • I'm pretty sure all round sociopath Tobey Maquire is meant to be player X.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Yeah thats what I saw when I went hunting for who was involved.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!