Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • One thing I don’t like is 4k movies taking up 2/3 of my 4k tv. How can it be called 4k if 33 percent is black?! Even worse and more unforgivable was that annihilation has a principle release on TV via netflix!

It only released on Netflix due to a dispute between the director and one of the production companies.

Garland is on record that he made the film for cinema and not TV.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Also, I think it got a cinema release in the States.
    Get schwifty.
  • For sure, but given that netflix was putting up $$$ you’d think they’d have a version that fit their product. I mean even if Garland wanted a cinema release as primary he couldn’t have been looking at the Squidged down version with much delight.
  • Yep, the Netflix deal was for ‘International’ distribution, which means everywhere apart from the US. The film was already long finished by then. It was screened at film festivals in order to attract distributors.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Tonight I watched Erik the Viking in perhaps the first time in thirty years.  It’s actually still great, just like I remember it.  It might just be my first contact with Norse mythology, something I’ve loved ever since.
    Get schwifty.
  • Antebellum

Sort of old school big twist movie but I expected more... it’s quite short but they don’t do much with the big twist .. the sound track gets tension the film doesn’t really deserve and it’s all
    A bit weird
    The Forum Herald™
  • For a sci fi film made in 1968, 2001 still looks fantastic. The peak of non-CGI imo.

Shame the first half hour is so fucking dull
    I can’t bring myself to waste any more
    Time
    On it
    The Forum Herald™
  • So long as they use the Queen music. still.shit ..

The Forum Herald™
  • Land of Mine (shit title) on iplayer.
    Immediate post war movie about young German soldiers being made to find and make safe the mines the Germans had planted along the cost of Denmark.
    Pretty good.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Tonight I watched Erik the Viking in perhaps the first time in thirty years.  It’s actually still great, just like I remember it.  It might just be my first contact with Norse mythology, something I’ve loved ever since.
    Yeah I love it. So silly.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Watching Mike Basset, such a wonderful film. Ricky Tomlinson is absolutely magnificent.

I'd forgotten that fake Gazza scored the winner against Argentina with a hand of God as well.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watching Mike Basset, such a wonderful film. Ricky Tomlinson is absolutely magnificent. I'd forgotten that fake Gazza scored the winner against Argentina with a hand of God as well.

Always thought that was under-rated. Loved it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Land of Mine (shit title) on iplayer.
    Immediate post war movie about young German soldiers being made to find and make safe the mines the Germans had planted along the cost of Denmark.
    Pretty good.

Yeah watch that recently thought it was really good but very brutal obviously considering it was all true. Bit of a stain on Danish history that to say the least.

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Watching Mike Basset, such a wonderful film. Ricky Tomlinson is absolutely magnificent. I'd forgotten that fake Gazza scored the winner against Argentina with a hand of God as well.
    Spoilers! ;)

I do love that film though.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Forget that Justice League stuff. This is a better use of his time...

• I'll give that a go.
    I do wish they would make trailers shorter though.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I spotted two actors from Fear The Walking Dead I think and I’m wondering if it’s some kind of cross over or just they like doing zombie stuff.
  • Fuck me that trailer looks epic.

Good work Zack
    PSN - minkymu
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. Zombie tiger. :)
  • Promising Young Woman was pretty damn great. Mulligan is superb and is shot and wardrobed so, so damn well. Recommended.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I thought it was dull. Or maybe it wasn't dull, I forget. I remember not thinking it was particularly great anyway.
  • I have also watched promising young woman and I though it was okay.
    Spoiler:
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nobody, with Bob Odenkirk. I thought this would be played more obviously as a comedy, but instead it's just over the top action shit. Poor.
  • Well that’s disappointing. That had black comedy written all over it.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • It’s John Wick+ The Equalizer (the Denzel film) there is humour in there and it’s quite enjoyable but its a bit of a middle aged man fantasy film.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's definitely satire but it plays it way too straight. I thought it was going to be an ordinary man getting drawn into ridiculous violence, which would have been funnier and more interesting.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Flick Vault on YT has The Hustler, Capricorn One and Scum - all at HD quality for free.

There's plenty other stuff there but they are the choice picks for me.
  • The Hustler's a great film, haven't seen it in 20 year or so, may check it out, cheers Davy.

I'm also yet to see Capricorn One so that's a good shout and all.

Also Scum, great film.

In other words, top stuff Davy.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ooo Capricorn One. I remember as a kid (think I was 12) that was my first experience of government corruption.
  • Girl on the Train is really boring. It has a fairly basic mystery which they jumble up with time jumps and lies and somehow everything makes sense about 2/3 of the way through leaving something really dull to watch.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!