Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So I'm thinking a place for all these types of games would not be a bad thing.

We obviously have Telltale Games who dominate this space with The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, Tales from The Borderlands, Game of Thrones and soon to be released Minecraft episodic story.

The Walking Dead (Telltale Games)

PROD0001_DEADXX00_WDS1_574_321.jpg

"The Walking Dead is a five-part game series set in the same universe as Robert Kirkman’s award-winning comic book series. Play as Lee Everett, a convicted criminal, who has been given a second chance at life in a world devastated by the undead. With corpses returning to life and survivors stopping at nothing to maintain their own safety, protecting an orphaned girl named Clementine may offer him redemption in a world gone to hell."

Available on: PC, Mac, Steam, PS3, Xbox 360, PS Vita, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One

Metascore: 92 (based on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 scores)

Userscore: 8.6 (based on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 scores)

The Wolf Among Us (Telltale Games)

PROD0066_WOLFXX00_TWAU1_574_321.jpg

"The Wolf Among Us is a five episode series based on Fables (DC Comics/Vertigo), an award-winning comic book series by Bill Willingham. it is a violent, hard-boiled thriller where the characters and creatures of myth, lore and legend are real, and exist in our world. Your choices matter and will change and define the story you experience."

Available on: PC, Mac, Steam, PS3, Xbox 360, PS Vita, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One

Metascore: 82 (based on PC, PS4 and Xbox 360 scores)

Userscore: 8.2 (based on PC, PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox 360 and Xbox One scores)

Game of Thrones (Telltale Games)

game_gameofthrones_574_321.jpg

"Based on HBO’s award-winning television drama, Game of Thrones – A Telltale Games Series tells the story of House Forrester, a noble house from the north of Westeros. Caught up in the events of The War of the Five Kings, they are placed in a precarious position where members of the household must do everything they can to prevent the house from meeting its doom."

Available on: PC, Mac, Steam, PS3, Xbox 360, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One

Metascore: 79 (based on PC, PS4 and Xbox One scores)

Userscore: 7.0 (based on PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One scores)

Life Is Strange (Square Enix)

Screen_Shot_2015_01_22_at_10_48_00.png

"Life is Strange is a five part episodic game that sets out to revolutionise story based choice and consequence games by allowing the player to rewind time and affect the past, present and future."

Available on: PC, Steam, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One

If the Squate Enix tale "Life is Strange" is as good as the trailer makes it out to be we could have a great new sub genre of game being produced by more and more studios.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    You left out The Wolf Among Us. Which I probably enjoyed more than TWD.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Didn't leave it out but glad to create a proper OP and list them all. I'll get something sorted in the morning on the laptop with less booze in me :-)

Actually played the demo of TWaU seemed enjoyable. I was transitioning away from my 360 at the time so didn't want to buy it.
  • Is TWAU original IP?

These things seem to be in danger of becoming glorified licenced CYOA books. Which is fine if you like the IP. I imagine a Star Wars one would go down well. Possibly a Rebels-based one say.

Also do these things have a better genre name than episodic games?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Wikipedia called it an Episodic videogame.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Episodic_video_game

I think the danger in the genre is IP owners only going to Telltale for their solution.

Maybe the Squate Enix game can show something different can be done in this genre.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Wolf is based on the Fables comics but is set decades before the first issue so the meat of the writing is original Telltale. Was going to give the comics a go but apparently they aren't all that unfortunately.
  • I enjoyed the walking dead thoroughly
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Finished the first episode of Game of Thrones today. Thought they captured the style and tone of the show very well and it was a great setup episode.

It also had the added enjoyment of being something I can play with my wife.

Whilst I wait for episode 2, I will be enjoying The Wolf Among Us.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Would be raving about Kentucky Route Zero if I'd started it. Looks lovely.
  • Half Life counts right?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Half Life counts right?

Only if they release 3
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Finished the first episode of Game of Thrones today. Thought they captured the style and tone of the show very well and it was a great setup episode.

It also had the added enjoyment of being something I can play with my wife.

Whilst I wait for episode 2, I will be enjoying The Wolf Among Us.

I've been thinking about this for the exact reason with my GF. She loves GoT but isn't a gamer at all, could be a good way to get her involved.

• b0r1s wrote:
    Half Life counts right?
    Only if they release 3

HL3 or HL2ep3?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Started Walking Dead S2. Is it too much to expect Clem to have the common sense not to use a knife that's been stuck in a zombie for opening a can of beans?

Also let me skip your shitty ending credits song.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm waiting for this thread to finish so that I can enjoy it all in one go rather than having an annoying wait between posts. Someone PM me when it's done.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    LOLage
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Why is there no option to tell the group that
    Spoiler:
  • Thought there was? Hmm.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Only after you've found his body and his step son is distraught. Before that, the group sets off with the intention of rescuing him even though Clem already knows he was in a really, really bad way. And she's already seen the exact same thing happen to Lee.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    TWAU finished episode one. Very good start, great characters and really good voice acting. Don't like the "coming next..." clips as I've got OCD and it feels like spoilers.

I also like the comparison with your choices against other players. Got a mix of first couple of actions the same as the majority, but as the game progressed I was in the low 30s for most of my choices.

I'm playing Bigby as a bit of a bastard who has a soft spot for the ladies.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Did you do the trial?

Did you rip his head off?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I played Wolf pretty much without a break straight but I'm struggling to carry on Walking Dead S2 past the second ep. I think I'm at the boredom boundary for zombies and group survival dynamics.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Did you do the trial?

Did you rip his head off?

I've only just finished episode II which was great. I'm amazed how much fun I'm having without much gameplay. Quite the opposite of my comments on Left Behind, which had about the same amount of gameplay, but less interesting characters.

Should have the lot done by tomorrow though.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Ugh, shit. Sorry. I misread you'd only finished Ep1.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Lol. At least you didn't say WHO it was
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    If only there was some kind of spoiler tag system
  • Boff is a notorious spoiler.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Rumour has it's my middle name.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Just started The Wolf Among Us and by god it looks pretty on a 28" 4k monitor. Captures the atmosphere of the comic well too.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The engine TT use doesn't seem like it has the greatest amount of oompf but there are some great bits of lighting throughout Wolf.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Rumour has it's my middle name.

Not 'Ock' then?
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!