2DS
‹ Previous123456
  • Oh just fuck off, fucking fuck fuckers. Fuck me.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • I saw this earlier on today. My first thought was "Oh".
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    You're showing a lot of emotion over this.

Tis for the kiddies, chill Vulcan.
    Things can only get better.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Why can't they make a handheld Wii-U that backwards compats with all previous Nintendo formats?

Is it that hard?
  • You think this thread superfluous, turgid, cynical?

Destroy this thread
  • Hahahahaha.
  • I look forward to the 1DS.
  • I'm aghast. Are there that many clueless, cash-rich grandparents in the world to justify this abomination's manufacture? This is madness, right? Motherfuck!

Edit: Petey, sorry, please kill this thread, just...just...kill it...   ....  .   .      .      .
  • It looks like a leap pad. It's a ' my first handheld'
    Day one purchase for the kiddies obviously.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    As I said, guarantee it'll be found for sub £100 at Christmastime. Therefore get one under the tree for wee Jimmy.
  • Why are the fucking screens still a different size!? Its not so bad on the clamshell, but shoved together like it looks fucking stupid.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • To be compatible with the ratios on the original spec?

I'm other news both screens are actually one screen with framing to look like two screens!
  • Wow I thought they had the same ratio, just the top screen was smaller for some reason, maybe because of the lenticular 3D not really working well on screens that were larger or something. Had no idea that the top screen was a different aspect ration.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Spock's Vulcan rage is the best.

I believe this 2DS is a perfectly acceptable idea.

Not a thing though.
  • @Roujin The top screen is the larger one.
  • The bottom one is smaller because usually you've got your thumb all on it and making it a messy
  • What I don't get is the price. You can pick up a 3DS online for 139.99, the 2DS is going to be 109.99, so you're saving 30 quid to have the 3D removed and have the thing be less portable.

Is 30 quid difference going to be enough to make people see some value in the product and pick up a 2DS over a 3DS? Even for a little kids first handheld?
  • As it's launched on the same day as Pokemon X & Y, and with Pokemon X & Y likely to be £30-£40, i'd say it's pretty much targeting kids who want to stop nagging but spend as little as possible. If they bundle it for £120-130 ho shit, ULTRA KILL.

I think it's silly to look at it from a "here's what you're not getting for -£30..." perspective, because it's not targetted at anyone who is our age and looking at buying a 3DS. That's the inevitable slim revision in a years time. This is just a sidestep to expand the market a little/bag more sales at Christmas.
  • Roujin wrote:
    What I don't get is the price. You can pick up a 3DS online for 139.99, the 2DS is going to be 109.99, so you're saving 30 quid to have the 3D removed and have the thing be less portable. Is 30 quid difference going to be enough to make people see some value in the product and pick up a 2DS over a 3DS? Even for a little kids first handheld?

You can pick up a 3DS pre-owned for that price.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Remember that rrp doesn't translate to sales price. I still content we will see these for under a Ton by Christmas
  • But most kids presumably want the 3D though (and they also want the one that doesn't look like a complete turd to avoid playground mocking because kids are retards at that age)? So that's the one they're going to be asking for anyway. Informed parents on a budget are probably going to go the below route anyway if they money is tight and they really want to get their kid a DS.

I mean if it was your kids first ever handheld, just buy them a second hand 3DS, you can pick them up for what £85-90 off ebay and save yourself even more cash.

The only way I can make sense of the 2DS is if you pretend that second hand 3DS's don't exist.
  • Thanks Nintendo. I had a good laugh.
  • I dunno, I i'd think that kids would want Pokemon and Mario and Naruto etc. I doubt 3D is high on their list of priorities, have you seen a kid with a DS? They're playing them whilst walking around on busses and shit, flapping them in their parent's faces. The 3D viewing thing is so narrow that it's pointless for most games really. I turn it on when something looks pretty or impressive and then turn it straight back off.

I also don't think the whole second hand market thing really comes into it that much, people have an aversion to that stuff and would probably rather buy their kid a new, sealed, boxed thing for christmas or birthday or whatever. So you might buy them a second hand 3DS, but are parents actually buying their kids second hand 3DS consoles?

We can't do anything other than speculate, really, with you going at it from the "logically you'd do this" and me from "Parents will buy an shit as long as its cheap and new"

I'l be interestd to see how it sells, I think it's a smart idea.

• I'm wondering about that super mario 3D world game, though. Didn't that have some sections that required 3D?
  • Doubt it, the schtick with the 3D is that any game that uses it has to be able to function with it turned off.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It does seems odd but Nintendo have always had a bewildering array of choice that noone else seems to be able to get away with. This is quite consistent with the remodelled GC with no component out, the GBA micro and the cheap Wii that dropped GC support etc. (except the 3DS isn't at end of life). Like those - no doubt they can churn a 2DS out for next to nothing and will be able to drop the price quite a bit.

Maybe this is to mop the brow of those worrying about little Freddy getting a sore head. They well have market intelligence to indicate that. Who knows?

Speaking of sore heads - I see some eejit has ported Streetfighter II to the Virtua Boy.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • It will be a response to sustained software sales for the DSL/dSI. This thing is also backwards compatible. It looks kid based and released, cheaper, at the same time as Pokemon. I think it will sell but I do think its like a freak of nature.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • It's a pity for Nintendo that it's getting such a negative reaction here, the fact that it's a single screen split by the frame makes it very close to a tablet/handheld hybrid and Nintendo will be keen to get that form factor right.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    It will be a response to sustained software sales for the DSL/dSI. This thing is also backwards compatible. It looks kid based and released, cheaper, at the same time as Pokemon. I think it will sell but I do think its like a freak of nature.

Actually that makes more sense - lets them drop the DS line. Although the lack of a hinge is very odd.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It makes it prettier and shows some wee hidden bits but its not essential, no
  • Now, now let's not put the GBA Micro in the same category as the 2DS.

The GBA Micro is the greatest handeld ever produced, and was probably the last time Ninty ever pushed their hardware as hard as they could, just because they could. The in built battery (with excellent life), the amazingly bright screen (for it's time and for a portable device at the time), and the whole thing shrunk down to an absurdly small form factor.

God I fucking love the GBA Micro. One of my prized gaming possessions.
‹ Previous123456

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!