2DS
  • regmcfly wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    I can't think of any notable console that didn't try and be mass market so it's a reasonable assumption to make imo.
    Well it is trying to be mass market - to a wider audience than just gamers- kids. Consoles have done family models loads. PS3 12gb model? Xbox arcade?
    But those are just budget models. They aren't targeting a specific demographic. 

Anyway, I don't know much about this controversy. I saw the picture of the thing, posted somewhere that it looked a bit crap, then found out later that it was targeted at 2-6 year olds. My sentiment hasn't changed, but I did decide that what I thought was completely irrelevant. 

I assume other areas of the internet went slightly more extreme than that, and that was probably what the GB bloke was referring to.
  • Its fairly straight forwards. Perhaps reading the OP in the 3DS thread would help.. 

Streetpass does a couple of things

1) If you have a game which utilizes Street Pass then if you SP with someone who also has that game then content is shared. For example, if you both have SML3D then your mushroom houses get restored and you get powerups. In Animal Crossing you can see their houses and look/order their furniture. In SSFIV3D you can play a strange stat based game against eachother. 
    2) There are "games" built into the machine which are for streetpass. One is called Puzzle Swap, its not much of a game but basically when you meet someone with SP on then you can swap one puzzle piece with them to try and complete the puzzles. When you complete them you get a cool animation. Its more an ocd thing for me that I want to have all of the pieces.. so far i've got 740 odd but still have a few puzzles to complete. Hardly a game but its two seconds to get the piece so not exactly taxing. The other game is a very simplistic RPG game called StreetPass Quest. Where you collect the Mii's (via SP) and use the characters to take on the enemies in the quest to save the royalty. The colour shirt of the mii (which you select for your own for instance) is what influences how you progress. Also if you meet the same mii more than once then they start leveling up and become more powerful for you to use against the enemies. 
    3) There are now more SP games you can pay for, one is a game a bit like R-Type which is a game/game. The others are somewhat more like the puzzle game and you collect/grow things using SP hits in various forms. I actually wrote off a collect-a game which is based on gardening but i've "grown" (groan) to love it. Its not my favourite and has alot more depth than the R-type clone. Each to their own though. 

Physically how it works is simple, you flick the switch so its on. You put the settings to enable it and sometimes in game you have to enable it as well. Then when you are within about 15-20 feet you will automatically SP which the lid is shut but the system is on. You get a green light where you would get a blue one when you get a SP. Obviously it impacts the battery life. 

You can also only store/collect ten before you have to kinda clear them out/use them in game before you can collect more. I'm not sure why this is but hey. This usually only happens if you are at events like Gamescon or E3.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • SP added a lot to my enjoyment of NSMBU 2 and ACNL in particular.
    You also get (e.g.) ghost runs in MK7 and teams to challenge in Fire Emblem. I like SP.
  • Fire Emblem team thing and MK ghost runs sounds worthwhile. I will experiment with this thing.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Jeff Gerstmann on Bombcast re 2DS controversy - "how narcissistic and naive do you need to be to assume that every console needs to be aimed at you?" Pretty much.

In fairness though, the US version of the introductory video does not mention value/cheapness even once. If that's all people have seen (and it's quite plausible they have) then they haven't seen anything explicit from Nintendo saying what the purpose of the SKU is/what audience it's aimed at. In comparison, the EU video is basically like "Here's the 3DS family: the original 3DS is compact, the XL has the biggest screens, here's the new 2DS, it is a value version of the console".
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I think a lot of the people who are still trying to buy DS Lites for their kids will go for this. I mean, I don't like the look of it much but it isn't aimed at me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Reg, kids are already Nintendo's target market.

I would consider "family" as being their target market to be more accurate - even before the Wii/DS.The whole local multiplayer focussed thing has been their hallmark for some time now. Haven't always achieved it but they have been on target quite a bit.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • This smacks of shareholder desperation. Never good for the gamer.
  • This smacks of shareholder desperation. Never good for the gamer.

There is a slight wiff of shareholder pleasing, but it has to be good for the broke ass gamer/parents or hinge destroying gamers, surely.

Plus it will sell, adding more cash monies onto the pile that someone at Nintendo, someday, will spend correctly.
  • They're probably making an insane amount of profit on it. No way does it look like $130 worth of kit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!