2DS
  • I think this slab type game device is the shape of things to come from Nintendo (pun intended).

Get used to it.
  • I've got the pretty excellent 3DS XL so i'm hardly quaking in my boots
  • my first thought is can you plug the circle pad bollocks in, then why didn't they add an extra circle. my 3rd thought is that i kind of want one.
  • I don't get the second stick hang up. It's a peripheral for some games, it's not part of the original spec.
  • I don't think it looks horrid. But it is starting to look more like a tablet - is that deliberate do you think? Target the main competitor with a cheap Nintendo brands kids' first tablet computer?
  • it's not really a hang up, it's more of a case of it's 2010, the future! we all has 2 thumbs etc.

well, most people do.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I don't get the second stick hang up. It's a peripheral for some games, it's not part of the original spec.

It should have been though.
  • I guess, but it isn't, so why bother going on about it? Plenty of games out there proving you don't need it.

@Smang I didn't mean you, but everyone says "why not add another stick?" forgetting it only benefits maybe 3 games on the system, 4 if you're left handed.
  • Could benefit more if it existed though, understandable that devs won't make games that need it if most people cant use it.
  • It's a bit of a redundant point. Until Nintendo decide a second thumbstick is needed for the majority of portable games, they'll just keep leaving it out.

I'd probably put money on it not popping up on any 3DS revision, but instead coming out on whatever their next handheld platform is.
  • Hope they do a Gameboy next.

Tablet sized screen with a few buttons seems likely.
  • Tempy wrote:
    It's a bit of a redundant point. Until Nintendo decide a second thumbstick is needed for the majority of portable games, they'll just keep leaving it out. I'd probably put money on it not popping up on any 3DS revision, but instead coming out on whatever their next handheld platform is.

while i agree, what was even the point in making the circle pad add-on? i know Nintendo has a boner for making controller add-on these days but still. it's like admitting it's a design error.
  • Didn't the Monster Hunter guys insist on it?

edit: Anyway, if they were going to do it, the Xl was the time to do it. Clearly it would have been stupid to add it to this given that it lacks features the OG/XL have.

If they did it at all now it would just look like a blatant cash grab, aimed at people who've bought 1 or 2 already...
  • The point was some games had camera controls that benefited from being controlled by a 2nd analogue stick. Instead of restricting the control, they just released a cheap peripheral that let you chose to use it.

As far as I know, all the games that can use it are absolutely playbale without it, it's just a little more awkward. MH3 is definitely not broken without it, even with the 2nd stick I still used the shoulder button "swing to lock" function, it just makes underwater fights a little easier because of the vertical axis being in use more.
  • yeah i got by playing revelations as well. it's just a weird design choice imo.
  • It is, but the net expecting a revision is as silly.
  • I'm firmly on the 'I don't get this' bandwagon. I really don't see the point of it at all. The photo looks like an April Fools mock-up and it's not even cheap. Bizarre.
  • This is total madness. Ninty's revisionist/reiterative businesss model aside, this is cuckoo bananas even for them! Let this thread die. Let us never speak of this 'thing' again.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Nintendo ploy to divert attention away from Next Gen launches.

You heard it here first.

#tinfoilhat
  • What next gen?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • There was a Wii without GameCube support?!
  • Vela wrote:
    What next gen?

When the WiiU launches next year.
  • davyK wrote:
    Maybe this is to mop the brow of those worrying about little Freddy getting a sore head. They well have market intelligence to indicate that. Who knows?
    I hadn't thought of that. Is that bad publicity about the 3D effect still doing the rounds?

Anyway, I think the best way to sell a handheld to kids nowadays (and to me, coincidentally) is... cheaper games. I've thought about getting one a few times and the idea of £30 every time I want one of Nintendo's own offerings is what puts me off.
  • Can't wait for the '-1DS'. It's £99 and basically Wilfred Brimlley turns up at your house in an ill fitting mario costume, he steals your 2DS and then bums you.

Ill be quiet now.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • JonB wrote:
    I hadn't thought of that. Is that bad publicity about the 3D effect still doing the rounds?
    Nintendo themselves warned that it's not for kids 6 years old and under.
  • Sony are releasing a Playstaion2 Portable (PS2P) but it's not a portable PS2 but a Vita without the track pad on the back.
  • The Nintendo Desperation Slate?

hilarious

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Apart from the design I don't see the problem with this. It makes perfect sense to release an entry level version of the HW, maybe not this early in its life but thats just my opinion.

The 3DS is selling well but its struggling to match its predecessor in the west. Just look at this chart for the week ending 17th Aug.

90bn.jpg

Its clear to see that its not doing as well in the West as it should be, especially in the US. The Japanese market is roughly half the size of the US yet its selling double the units.

This is clearly an attempt to rectify that. As @davyK said taking the 3D out also puts Mrs Smiths mind at ease from the negative tabloid press the 3D effect has got, and lets not beat around the bush here, this is exactly who this is aimed at. Parents buying for thier young kids. Not us 20+ forum goers.

Its surely also an attempt to phase out the budget DS and replace it with the newer HW. Again why is it just the US market that still buying DS units? The rest of the world has moved on. Nintendo like others make their money on SW and those 7k sales in the US aren't buying 3DS games, its almost a waste of a sale to Nintendo.

I don't get the anger, its just a bloody games console. I personally don't understand the love for the XL models. I like the original sized DS/3DS models thanks very much. But you know what, if you like your XL good for you and I'm sure there'll be people who will like their 2DS units just as much. Like I've always said, play games not consoles. Whatever unit you like we're still enjoying Mario etc.

Oh and one more thing about that chart. Check out the good old PSP sales in Europe. Thats right thats the European exclusive PSP-E1000 unit that lacks Wi-Fi and would you believe it only outputs mono sound selling very repectable numbers as a BUDGET console. End of the day people like cheap stuff, after all there's more important things to be spening money on.

Now I'm off to play Luigi's Mansion 2 on my 3DS... in 2D!!!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Xbox 360 is as popular as ever in Japan, I see.
  • /drops mic

Edit: oh my god you idiot fucking ginger cat

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!