Fallout 4
  • Roujin wrote:
    SOUNDS LIKE AJ IS ON THE JUDGEMENT LIST.

For pointing out the flaw in your logic? How very unsporting.

I don't do hacking myself as it's boring as fuck.
  • In order to try and get over the disappointment of that other game,  I fired this up again last night.  Had something that never happened to me before in countless hours of play...a random encounter with an NPC in Atom Cat power armour strolled up to me in Concord (the starting area) and invited me to visit their base in the farthest southern reaches of the map, before romping off into the distance.

That chance encounter with an NPC made more of an impact on me than a dozen recorded holotapes from dead people.

Later, I scaled a church tower and took pot shots at passing Deathclaws with a missile launcher before investigating the distant screams of a Raider ( who had bitten off more than he could chew after picking a fight with the same Deathclaw from an unsafe vantage point).  

Such emergent gameplay couldn't even take place in that other game because a)  I'd have to be level 20 before I equipped the launcher and b) there are no Raiders.

I'll sink another 20hrs into this or more again I'm sure, but it shows you just how far they have messed up with that online only prequel when they can't even re-capture the basic gameplay magic of its predecessor.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Got a hankering to play Fallout New Vegas recently so picked it up for 4 quid from the Xbox game store. Oh boy, I wish I had never bothered. It was never a looker 10 years ago when it was originally released, but it's actually painful to play now. I forgotten how bad the environments look and the criminally slow 'running pace' that your character moves at.

Whenever there's even the slightest rumour surrounding another Fallout release (not that there is at the moment) you always seem to get a bit of clamour for a New Vegas remaster. But this game is way beyond saving through a remaster. It would have to be be a full on remake to completely overhaul its art  assets which now look like total crud.

If Microsoft's takeover of Bethesda, finally confirmed last week, makes it somehow more likely that Obsidian will be given the reins to the Fallout franchise again, they be better off just doing a straight sequel to New Vegas, rather than trying to rehash this dog's breakfast.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Me too. Picked it up on Gamepass. First bug was just after character creation and it hung. Second bug was after character number 2 (just randomised cos fuck that shit twice) and it wouldn't go back to FPS view just stuck in 3rd person. Kind of thought it looked ok actually. Games really haven't moved on much.. or at least Bethseda haven't.

Did the first tutorial bug hunt.. need to get into the meat of the story to see whether it still holds up.
    The Forum Herald™
  • It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I was about to have a moan but I'll play it because Im a moron.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Free is always nice.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • FO4 is my forever game, so when I finally go next gen meself next year, this will be a nice little bonus.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Fallout 4 London.

Can't wait for a ghoul to try and scrounge a fag off me outside a toxic decrepit Wetherspoons. Aka a normal Wetherspoons.

HEYO.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • https://www.pcgamer.com/one-of-fallout-4s-most-ambitious-mods-just-got-delayed-to-get-out-the-way-of-starfield/

Hardly surprising, even BG III has had its release date changed to avoid clashing with Bethesda's space behemoth.

FO: London does look superb though. Many of these modders end up getting poached by Bethesda.

Pity there is no more news on the FO4 remaster.
    Bethesda obviously saving that now for the release of the Amazon TV series.
  • Been playing this again recently because the DLC bundle was on sale.

I'm in some virtual reality puzzle section of Farharbor, and it absolutely sucks.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Far Harbour is some of the best stuff has done in ages. I love the Far Harbour content.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    some of the best stuff
    it absolutely sucks.

I like how both of these things can be true.

• Yeah, as a DLC expansion it's really good, but that section is shit.

Thankfully you can cheat the 5th puzzle because I couldn't figure out how to get the beam low enough.
  • I still haven't put on my big boy pants to face up to Malenia in Elden Ring, so I started FO4 again for a laugh. I've slapped on a bunch of mods and a cheat mode to give me a headstart in perks and stats.

Any recommended mods? I've gone with some lighting, weather, remodelled gear (New Vegas inspired), etc. There's one that adds an npc and some areas but it's shit and annoying, might drop it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    There's a phenomenal mod for it called the uninstall button
  • I used a mod in my recent playthrough that gave experience a multiplier based on your level. Also used one to give max special stats from the start because I was just going to get the dog and duplicate the book anyway, so it saved time.
  • There's a phenomenal mod for it called the uninstall button
    lol
    The Forum Herald™
  • There's a phenomenal mod for it called the uninstall button

Shush you.

(I did lol)
  • You at least need to play up to the point you give the old lady an OD.
  • Completed it and never did that
    The Forum Herald™
  • Missed the best bit
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    There's a phenomenal mod for it called the uninstall button

Genuine chuckle-snort.
  • Any recommended mods?

Here are some of my favourite mods:

TRUE STORMS

I know you have some weather mods installed already, but this one really is the daddy. Tired of boring rad storms? How about fully configurable ghoul spawns to brighten up your day?! Don't go into the Glowing Sea with this baby switched on!

DISMEMBERMENT

Tis but a scratch! Slice the arms off your foes! Blow the legs off your enemies! It has global effects. Sometimes you'll see wandering merchants with their left arm torn off at the socket because a Radscorpion fancied something to chew on ...

SNIPERS OF THE COMMONWEALTH

Peppers the wasteland with Raider Snipers in church bell towers and Gunner Snipers on top of ruined freeways. They can one-shot you at lower levels. Sounds annoying, but it's not. Makes for some thrilling encounters.

DARKER NIGHTS

Transformational. Similar mods never really worked on Skyrim, but Fallout 4 has a superior lighting engine. See distant human settlements twinkle in the night. Stumble on Super Mutant patrols in the dark!

FAST CELL RESPAWN RATE

Survival mode was great, but it decreases cell respawns dramatically. Which means once you cleared an area, no more enemies. For a very long time... This mod fixes that, and then some. Turns the Commonwealth into a Warzone.

Really hope they ship the Creation Toolkit for Starfield not too long after release. It's mods that turn great Bethesda games like Fallout 4 into fantastic games.
  • Downloaded the PS5 version. In true Bethesda fashion it crashed while I was walking around the starting house.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You've done it again Todd.
  • Tried again and managed to play the game.

Researching crashes finds there is a bigger issue for PS5 users. If you have the dlcs you have to turn 2 specific dlcs off otherwise the main game won't load.

Yup, Bethesda.
  • We'll let Todd have the last word.

todd-howard-it-just-works.gif
  • I started playing this again a few days back. The opening before and entering the vault is brilliant as ever.
    As is everyhting up until you meet Garvey and friends and then I kinda just turned it off not long after. 

I got the power armour, shot up the Deathclaw and went back to the group. I just started firing, I couldnt help it, I HATE all of them, HATE them.
    Loaded it back up again from a svae before I started blasting and got myself back to Sanctuary but they were all there again, the HATEFUL pricks. Turned it off.

Thought about getting myself to Diamond City and just ignoring Sanctuary totally but I dont remember Diamond City being much more likable.

IIRC I sided with the Brotherhood when I played through in the past because the residents of the F4 Wasteland make fascism appealing.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I got the power armour, shot up the Deathclaw and went back to the group. I just started firing, I couldnt help it, I HATE all of them, HATE them. Loaded it back up again from a svae before I started blasting and got myself back to Sanctuary but they were all there again, the HATEFUL pricks. Turned it off.

There is a mod that lets you kill all the NPCs. I might be tempted to fire it up again at some point with that installed and just be a rogue survivalist. The awful way they wrapped up the story genuinely ruined the whole experience for me when I played it through a few years ago.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!