Fallout 4
  • Started this again as it came up on Game Pass.
    I have gone with melee for the first time in a Fallout game.

It changes the experience more than I thought it would. I am more reliant on my companions for example.
    It also makes inventory management a lot easier, no need to carry multiple guns and the ammo for them, just scrap or sell everything.

I have also aligned with The Railroad, I only scratched the surface with them before so it's nice to have new missions. I'm not even touching base building, I did the easy stuff for xp, now I'm done.

Is the DLC for this worth picking up?
  • Played through this for the first time over the last couple of weeks.

Not as good as New Vegas for me.
  • Is the DLC for this worth picking up?

Yeah, they add new parts for the base building, which is the best bit.
  • I'm not even touching base building, I did the easy stuff for xp, now I'm done. Is the DLC for this worth picking up?
    AJ wrote:
    Yeah, they add new parts for the base building, which is the best bit.

Probably not then.

I'm tempted to start a new play through... It's either this, Witcher 3 or something new. Or  more Skyrim.
    The Forum Herald™
  • There are story based DLC. I didn't buy them.

I reckon you should play something new.
  • Yeah me too. My wife is away for three nights so I could probably bash through something new.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Started this again as it came up on Game Pass. I have gone with melee for the first time in a Fallout game. It changes the experience more than I thought it would. I am more reliant on my companions for example. It also makes inventory management a lot easier, no need to carry multiple guns and the ammo for them, just scrap or sell everything. I have also aligned with The Railroad, I only scratched the surface with them before so it's nice to have new missions. I'm not even touching base building, I did the easy stuff for xp, now I'm done. Is the DLC for this worth picking up?

Stick with the Railroad as you get an awesome armour upgrade ability from them later in the game.  Of course, you can still feck e'm over too at the end; such is the Fallout way.

As far as the story DLC goes, here's my take on it :

Automatron 

The ability to build your own robotic companions comes with a dizzying array of customization options, but they do lack the 'personality' of Dogmeat, Strong et al.  I must get around to equipping Codsworth with that Fat Man Launcher though.  The story is pretty light but does provide some intense battles, thanks to the new robot faction and Rust Devil Raiders that swarm the Commonwealth.

Far Harbour 

The new Island setting is fantastically atmospheric, thanks in large part to the new score by Inon Zur.  It's probably best played after the completion on the Main Story as it provides a sort of footnote to the entire Synth saga really.  Nick Valentine is a compulsory companion on one of the quests, so it's definitely worth bringing him along from the get go, as I understand there's plenty of new dialogue to be had ( I neglected to do this).  Just watch out for the Fog Crawlers!

Nuka World

If only we could talk to the Raiders...

As much as I enjoyed settlement building as a post main quest bonus, the DLC package ( I got two seasons passes, one for PS4 and Xbox!) was spoilt by the gimmicky nonsense of track ball games and lore breaking vault building - didn't touch those with a bargepole!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Cheers Blocks.
    Far Harbour sounds like a must then.
    Automatron sounds good as well, I generally take Codsworth along so could be handy. Unfortunately no Dogmeat this time, my own dog goes mental when he is on screen.
  • Nice Nuka world write up as well.
    I might keep an eye out for cheap season pass offers while I play through.
  • Fucked it.
    Pissed off Valentine. It's not my fault the Super Sledge is so satisfying.
  • Oh yeah, forgot the Companion AI could get a bit of a strop on if you take too many liberties with them.

Just don't go swinging that Super Sledge around Preston....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/kotaku.com/the-fallout-4-survival-permadeath-run-that-turned-prest-1776289180/amp
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Haha, good read that, terrifying.

Out of interest will Valentine stop being hostile if I don't go near him for a while?
  • I'm not sure, but seeing as he's an essential npc for Far Harbour, Bethesda must have made him resetable?
  • Cheers.
    I will avoid the area for a while. He is at Sanctuary Hill with everyone else so don't want to fight him for risk of.pissing someone else off.
  • So I’ve picked this up again almost 2 years after I stopped playing it when I got to Diamond City.

I think it might have its hooks in me. Help!
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Haha.
    I have paused my playthrough to start F3 again.
  • Both titles are digital crack to be fair. Although going back to 3 from 4 means no crafting as such, which is a huge loss. I do hope 76 adopts 3's repair system (because equipment degradation has been confirmed) because that was a neat way of doing things.

I pondered recently about having another go at New Vegas, but then thankfully I remembered it was a broken mess.
  • They're all broken messes, but New Vegas is probably the most fun.
  • I enjoyed New Vegas.
    The Forum Herald™
  • New Vegas is easily the best of 3, NV, and 4.

I recently played through 4, and have no interest in replaying it.
  • 196.gif

All New Vegas added to Fallout was a litany of quite disturbing bugs.
  • New Vegas had the best perk system.

Arguably 3 had the best world and missions..

4 probably didn't bring enough new to the table but was an enjoyable romp.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    That's a feature.

Outta the way Dad.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Hmmm no, the story was way better than anything 3 or 4 managed since Oblivion understood the IP.

Caesars Legion as an entity and Caesar himself are so much better fleshed out as a faction compared to the The Institute that it's not even funny.

Bethesda only seem able to understand Fallout as an RPG that has a 50s sci fi filter applied to everything.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Flitting between 3 and 4 the most glaring difference is that 4 doesn't do a very good job of hiding the fact it is a game.
    There are a handful of factions, companions and the missions they come with, then building. Near enough everything is tied to those things in an obvious manner that feels like a checklist.

The world has nowhere near the depth, towns serve as a place to host new companions or main plot points. The world just doesn't seem to exist outside of those set group of characters.

Vaults arent that interesting either.

I do like 4 but there isn't anything going on beneath the top layer of missions and characters. In 3 there are lots of side things happening that have little to no influence on the main story and they can often be the most unusual, memorable and interesting things to do.
  • The thing that keeps me enthralled with 4 is the sheer scope and scale of the world. From the derelict urban sprawl surrounding Diamond City, to the shores of the Glowing Sea, the ability of the game to suck you in and keep you there is unparalleled.

The Kid in the Fridge, the Last Voyage, and the Secret of Cabot House are but a few of the most memorable side quests. Everyone is so quick to pillor 4 for its endless settlement defence quests but there are some real jewels in there.

The main story of both 3 and 4 were complete pap, that's what makes New Vegas's one look like a masterpiece in comparison. But I had malware that was less malicious to my system than NV's constant crashing and blue screening. It was a shoddy rush job that tried to cash in on 3's success.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Something I found out recently that I thought might be of use: when hacking a terminal (i.e., the word guessing game), if you can find a set of garbage text that's properly bracketed, you can select that for a random bonus (extra tries, etc.)

So if you see something like

){!$%[#@%$*&%{\)]&*^

you'll be able to highlight the stuff between the square braces, because they form a properly bracketed section. Click it like you would one of the words, and boom, random bonus. I don't think the game ever explains that, but I do remember scrolling past bits of random characters and not noticing that some bits get highlighted.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • It's been in since Fallout 3. But in F4 the terminals don't seem to lock you out permanently anyway so it's not as big of a deal. 

Pro-tip Extra: Get down to your last try before clicking on any brackets as some of them refresh your tries. Don't hit the brackets otherwise OR YOUR HACKING WILL BE SUBOPTIMAL AND I WILL KNOW AND I WILL SILENTLY JUDGE YOU.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Pretty sure that to do it optimally is really fucking difficult and requires calculating the odds of picking the right word after each selection to know whether you're better off removing one before your tries are up.
  • SOUNDS LIKE AJ IS ON THE JUDGEMENT LIST.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!