Just completed
  • Horizon Zero Dawn

Ubisoft have alot to answer for in regards to game maps and just filling the map with stuff. Again this was 2017 release so probably needs to be seen through that lens.

Main story is fairly good but takes a while to get started. The last quarter of the game ramps up nicely.

Aloy is a interesting character, the ending
    Spoiler:

I skipped the errands and side missions. Didnt buy any weapons. Went through the game with the spear and arrows and just battered dinosaur machines when i had to. Otherwise just ran past them. Speaking of running there is alot. So i used fast travel alot.

The outfits made no sense as you would have though you would need a warmer outfit for colder climates etc but that never came to pass.

Could write alot more but cannae be bothered. Onto the next game.

7.5 out of 10

• The credits just rolled on Mario
    Odyssey with the boy playing as cappy! Had a wonderful time with it.

No doubt the real game is just beginning!
    The Forum Herald™
  • Cyber Shadow done. No idea how I bypassed level 7 completely. Pretty good overall but not a worldie.
  • Absolute scenes at the chalice SK review.
  • The Medium.

I really enjoyed this! It was nice to play something so linear and ultimately straight forward after playing so many big open world games recently-it was a nice side game to play. I’m not particularly good with full on scary games so this was a nice level of horror for me - a few little jump scares but loads of atmosphere.

I thought the story was pretty good, even if the telling of it got slightly muddled, and surprised me with some of the themes it started exploring. The game also looked gorgeous apart from some of the actual character models. It ran beautifully on the Series S and the split screen dual world stuff was a really nice touch to the game.

I get that not everyone will like the tank controls or the fact that it is ultimately a glorified walking simulator but it was a tank walk simulator split screen horror story that kept me engaged throughout.

And it showered me with achievements...
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • nick_md wrote:
    Absolute scenes at the chalice SK review.

I know right. It really is a not game I enjoyed one bit.
  • Onimusha Warlords (PC)

Good port of a decent ps2 game I missed out on (I was on xbox at the time). It reminded me a lot of RE remake and RE Code Veronica which is a good thing. Great japanese medieval castle setting and grounds to explore. Level design feels smaller than the average RE, you can finish the game easily in 6 hrs. Combat is no ninja gaiden but it's sevicable and similar to old school RE. Can't say how improved this remaster is compared to the original release but the quality is up there with the dc version of Code Veronica. All in all a good effort. Here's hoping they re-release the rest of the series on PC.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Little Nightmares

More like Big fucking nightmares with long creepy arms! I enjoyed this. It's very much of the Limbo/Inside ilk, moving along fairly defenceless just trying to get out of the sticky situation you're in. If you like those games I think you'll like this. Occasionally controls are a little fiddly but generally i found them ok.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • The sequel's a week or two away. If it reviews well I'll grab it one Bone and put it in the swap thread.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Little Nightmares

More like Big fucking nightmares with long creepy arms! I enjoyed this. It's very much of the Limbo/Inside ilk, moving along fairly defenceless just trying to get out of the sticky situation you're in. If you like those games I think you'll like this. Occasionally controls are a little fiddly but generally i found them ok.

So easily fixed those controls too. It was mainly while jumping into a rope or something and being a degree or two out. Just funnel me down to the rope FFS

Still, despite that, it's a quality game and is genuinely unsettling
  • Agree with all that
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Cheery little bedtime story here:

• Eeek.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Also Little Nightmares, PS5 for me

Hmmm. So excellent texture and animation work for sure. But, I didn't really like it. And I'm finding it hard to tease apart the (deliberate) dislike of the aesthetic from annoyance at controls etc. Liked it a bit more once through the layer, but yeah I didn't exactly enjoy it, from any angle. So uh a begrudging [6] maybe?
  • Sounds about right.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Kentucky Route Zero
    If ever there was a 'game' that I couldn't really rate, this was it. It's so different, and so surreal and weird; it just doesn't lend itself to being judged in the same way as conventional games, if judged at all. There is nothing else out there like this that I have played. You could call it a point-and-click adventure but even that is a stretch.

All in a really good way. The writing is superb, the script often dealing with or commenting on relevant real-life contemporary issues (debt, slavery, overpowering conglomerates/companies). The art-style and sound are very apt and only add to the strangeness of it all. There were one or tow genuinely standout moments for me, in particular around a couple of the songs.

My only gripe was that it seemed to drag in a couple of places and could've done with being a little shorter for what it is, occasionally feeling like art for art's sake. Nonetheless, it is something everyone should try at some point. Nothing else quite like it.
    [?] ESSENTIAL [?]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Cyber Shadow

Well I really enjoyed this, the visuals, music and gameplay are right up my modern-day old-man gaming street. I've read the criticisms from others, particularly on controls, but tbh I didn't find any issue. Each new mechanic was introduced with a clear place/reason to use immediately after, I think. By the end of the game I definitely felt like a ninja badarse.

Minor grumble is that it probably was a bit too long, could've condensed some of the levels perhaps. I also stopped using any of the weapon upgrades after a while as I didn't really find them needed - most things are done in a few quick slashes other than bosses. The SP generator though, that was handy.

Spoiler for one of the abilities:
    Spoiler:

Anyway, another minor grumble was that the final boss took me absolutely fucking ages.
    Spoiler:
    My completion stats if interested:
    Spoiler:
    All in all, it's probably an [8] but I'll give it a [9] because ninjas and parrying.

Oh and btw, did anyone else...
    Spoiler:
  • Nice. Last boss was annoying, partly because the first form had to be dispatched quite slowly. Didn't find the bit in spoilers. Glad you enjoyed it, it deserves more love than I could give it in the end.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That's all 120 shines in Super Mario Sunshine done, so none of you have to.
    I'm genuinely struggling to think if I ever did that before - I must have been close on my old GameCube, but certain ones, including the Chuckster red coin debacle, aren't memorable at all.
    What to say about it? It's the worst 3D Mario game, for sure, but even then there are moments of joy and genius within it. I'll staunchly defend the "Secret" levels where you are robbed of FLUDD and have to do some honest to goodness platforming over what looks like a woodwork kit (3D World, I see you.)
    Returning to them, with the challenge of getting red coins, under a time limit, albeit with one's trusty backpack was a nice way of reusing assets.
    And Pinna Park, Noki Bay and Bianco Hills are completely iconic, and welcome worlds in the Mario pantheon. They're genuinely fun to explore, and all incredibly distinctive. Noki Bay in particular was a joy to rediscover - a cove of little mysterious nooks and crannies.
    Yet Gelato Bay's levels (sun bird, watermelon) and Ricco Harbour's sheer existence absolutely blotch the copybook. The blue coin fiasco (finding 30 in a world, but not in one episode) is another needless faff, and necessitated liberal use of IGN guides to hundo the title. There also seems to be some sloppiness in collision detection / noticing edges that seems thoroughly out of place in the polished-to-perfection Mario Canon, and a few deaths left me grinding teeth because of that.
    It feels like a rushed game, bizarre because it was 6 years since 64, and Galaxy would follow in only 5 more, but there we are. I enjoyed returning to Delfino Isle, but would rather romp through Galaxy's worlds again. A nice place to visit...

t3Sague.jpg
  • The best parts of Sunshine are definitely those levels where Flood is taken off you, which really does say a lot about the game as a whole.

In general I think Mario works best in those more abstract environments. Those levels, M64, 3D World none are fussed with the why and how just making good platforming fun. Galaxy shares this as well to a large extent.

Sunshine is a game of its time mind, that particular world setting of Delfino Isle was the jam back then because the tech began to allow for it.

Sunshine isn't without its faults on the whole though it is a good game. The real question is if it is a good Mario game and I dont think it is. There's an expectation from Mario games, you could forgive Sunshine for not nailing it as it is an early 3D Mario game except they already got it right with 64.
    Put that backpack on Luigi and you buy some slack.

With a huge benefit of hindsight they always should have done a Mario 64 2 released on N64. Nobody would have complained about more m64 content.

• regmcfly wrote:
    It's the worst 3D Mario game, for sure

This is where you lost me completely. Very early on.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    It's the worst 3D Mario game, for sure

This is where you lost me completely. Very early on.

I would strongly agree with Reg but out of interest what is yours?
    Not gonna do a rage promise.
  • Oh definitely Sunshine, but please don't waste time telling me yet again. It's etched in stone.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    3D Marios are -

Sunshine
    Galaxy
    Galaxy 2
    3D Land
    3D World
    Odyssey

Looking at that list, it's bottom by a considerable measure, and I still enjoy it.
  • Ah ok.
    Yeah death, taxes, sunshine is worst 3d Mario.
  • Oyddessy last and Sunshine second.

I love you Reg but I don't respect you
  • Are we gonna do this?

We are arent we?
  • What is this that's happening here
  • Guessing that's release order
  • I thought that was in order of preference for a second and I couldn't comprehend it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!