Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It could be a cultural thing and also a language thing where Japanese developers use English language not just for meaning but maybe also how it sounds. This is based on nothing other than my observations that sometimes they seem to like to play with language, possibly as we do with other languages.

Like when they use the word “repatriate” it almost falls into that Japanese two character syllable words. As would Mama.
  • If I find out that Die-Hardman is the final boss and he takes a load of hits to kill, then I’m going with my original theory - Kojima isn’t good at naming characters.
  • Fuck really tempted to get it but no chance I will have time to play it.  Is the PC version up to scratch?

PC version of Death Stranding is excellent, very scalable.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Seems to be and some free DLC that the PlayStation doesn’t get. Definitely do it. It’s wonderful. Forgot to add in my write up that it’s also a genuinely positive game. Some may say it’s corny and obvious but I think it’s good the game lacks cynicism and it doesn’t need humour to sell its positive vision of humanity. Genuinely touching end too.

Nice to see someone else really getting the good vibes from it, something I wasn't expecting going in.

Tempy wrote:
    What are your thoughts on using the word icelandic to describe America. Always thought this was a really weird thing to be staring you in the face for whole time whilst you just accept it. That Kojima magic maybe.

Timefall erosion makes everything all jagged innit. I've not actually researched if terrain looking like that after time-accelerating downpours is at all plausible, but I'm willing to suspend disbelief either way.

Also regarding the scale, it is a game world after all and they did have a finite amount of time to develop it. It's also a gameplay design balance between making it legit and making it the right length for the average human to want to complete the thing.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Forgot to mention that I finished There Is No Game on my phone on Christmas Eve, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is best to go in with no expectations. It's not quite the highs of Frog Fractions, but it sure is playful.
  • So that’s the end of Death Stranding for me. I put this one off and kind of regret that decision, but equally think I could’ve bounced hard off it at launch. Something about playing it now felt right and I’m so happy that I did, and saw it through to the end.

I think b0ris did a better write up than I’ll be able to, so go back a page if you’re on the fence on this one. What I will add is this:

- I took me 32 hours to mainline the missions. Yes, I picked up lost cargo, but I always entrusted it to others to deliver, rather than making the journey myself.
    - I didn’t invest my resources in building up the world. I get too panicky about resources to use them effectively in most games, fearing that they’re going to run out, or I’ll make the wrong choice. Instead I mostly travelled by foot/bike and I enjoyed that experience. With hindsight, I could’ve built more roads, but I also liked the challenge of traversing the land.
    - Words, particularly my words, won’t describe how beautiful the visuals are in this game, or how the soundtrack enhances it.

The only issues are what I highlighted before and a couple of other minor points. I’ll put them in spoiler tags for those who haven’t played the game.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Minor issues aside, I’d have this in the best things I’ve ever played list. If this is what is to be expected now that Kojima is free from Konami, I can’t wait to see what’s next.
  • 16. Persona 5 Royal (PS4) - 26/12 - 142hrs
    Well, it’s Persona, and it’s bloody great. Deep themes and highly thought provoking. Not as good as 4, which I thought had better characters, and the dungeons, while expanded and with set maps and light puzzles, were too long and at times tedious. But the social sim side is as good as ever, the battles are great, the soundtrack is brilliant, and the UI design is gorgeous. I’m gonna miss the Phantom Thieves, having grown so attached to them/the game over the course of 140 hours. Now to sell a kidney and hunt down P3P. 
    [9]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @Syph79 for your second spoiler
    Spoiler:

I’m still thinking about the game a lot and I will play it again at some point.

But as for words (my words are definitely inadequate) and why this game is special I feel this video gets to the heart of it. Only discovered it today.

EDIT - Spoilers in the video

• 140 hours? I’m not sure I’ve spent that much time with my own children.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Think I clocked in at 70 ish by the end, but will go back definitely.
  • @Syph How is that possible?!
  • Just under 130 hours total in DS for me. Going to go back in at some point, would love it if they added a bunch more story content for it.

It's certainly full of Kojima-isms, but if you get on with that it's really a great game I think. I feel like the degree of nonsense suits it much more than in MGS. I certainly had a few moments of real frustration with it but all was forgiven in the end, a beautiful experience.

Regarding the ending - BIG SPOILERS OBVS
    Spoiler:
  • Mads Mikkelsen though.. Easily my favourite character and some of the best acting I've seen in a game. Stunning performance.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    16. Persona 5 Royal (PS4) - 26/12 - 142hrs
    Well, it’s Persona, and it’s bloody great. Deep themes and highly thought provoking. Not as good as 4, which I thought had better characters, and the dungeons, while expanded and with set maps and light puzzles, were too long and at times tedious. But the social sim side is as good as ever, the battles are great, the soundtrack is brilliant, and the UI design is gorgeous. I’m gonna miss the Phantom Thieves, having grown so attached to them/the game over the course of 140 hours. Now to sell a kidney and hunt down P3P. 
    [9]
    Woohoo! Who was your date in the end? Must have told but I've probably forgotten.

And P3P isn't too far into kidney selling territory if you buy it digital. Price probably won't drop for that one (hardly any vita games have been on sale this year, which I'm sad about as there's still a few I'd prefer on vita). Let me know when you're thinking if starting it, I might join you. Am playing Harvest Moon Friends of Mineral Town now as my handheld game, was thinking of P3P next.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    @Syph How is that possible?!

You have to work really hard to avoid them.

Edit: this is of course a joke. I love my children.
  • @Nina: Hifumi. Only other option I considered was Makoto but she seemed the type that may one day beat me up or something! :)

Won’t be starting P3P for some time. Need a break from Persona, too many other (big) games to play.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    @Syph How is that possible?!
    You have to work really hard to avoid them. Edit: this is of course a joke. I love my children.

This is the real game he spent 140 hours on ;-)

@GurtTractor - agree on the spoiler and I did the same, for the same reasons. Also yes the Cliff story and performance was genuinely great.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    @Nina: Hifumi. Only other option I considered was Makoto but she seemed the type that may one day beat me up or something! :)

Won’t be starting P3P for some time. Need a break from Persona, too many other (big) games to play.
    The girl I wanted but wasn't able to get. Wrong time management.

Playthrough of P3P is a while away for me too with the games i currently have going (Bloodborne / Harvest Moon).

• Talking of time management, can you believe that I needed to get Akechi to lv4 to do something for a trophy, but I only got him to lv3... otherwise I would’ve had a platinum trophy! D’oh!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Finished the Cyberpunk, so here are my thoughts, cross-posted from there.
    Right. Finished Cyberpunk.
    All Surface No Feeling *

Of all the Cyberpunk zeitgeist of the past month - the bugs, the ad campaign, the refunds, it is Night City itself that lingers. A disgusting monolith, crammed to the brim with activities and alleyways. The landscape evolves and dissipates as I enter and leave, the towers giving way to industrial sprawls, to shacks, and finally, to the desert. Night City itself, as a construct, feels like the one of the best realised environments I have encountered in a videogame. And when it all clicks, the world of Cyberpunk really comes to life in a grotesque and fascinating way. 
    In one particular side mission that I've been replaying in my head, I spent the day accompanying a criminal who was going to atone for his sins in the most dramatic way possible. He was being supported by Corpos who saw a way to make a cheap buck from his torment, turning it into a media consumable by many. In the end, I became a passive participant in his suffering, watched from afar, but in an earlier conversation, I had put enough seeds of doubt into his head about his plan that it botched the media product. Completing the mission, I noticed the billboards around town advertising the event, as if the city itself was reminding me of the choices I had made. 
    I keep thinking if there was a way for the outcome to turn out different - and at times I think there was, but when I also stack it up against several of the key 'systemic' choices in the game, I'm less inclined to believe this. It feels odd that a world where the overriding message about humanity's excess seems to be that you can do everything, but none of it matters or fulfils in the long run, the developers seem to have taken that to the core of the game's design.
    Take that initial choice (not the size of your endowment) of the origin story for your V - Nomad, Streetkid or Corpo. In the run up to the release of the game, there was sizeable buzz, here and elsewhere about rolling the game multiple times to see how things could play out differently. But to what end? A few dialogue choices scattered in at opportune moments that don't serve to change events, but solely to provide a spot of colour? It feels like a system drawn over from the tabletop game that was too unweildy to package into the game for three diverse playthroughs. 
    There are more systems that feel as though they have been shoehorned into the game in order to point at the origin source and say 'hey, we did that too'. The modifications options in the game at first can seem overwhelming, yet by about halfway through, aside from my mantis blade arms (which quickly were rendered useless by the weaponry I collected) any of the upgrades I purchased felt as though they made no real difference to how I actually played the game - it was all artifice. 
    To a lesser extent, the skill trees offer a similar veil of depth. I specced pretty much exclusively in guns and body, and finished the game at level 40. Yet in several late game sequences and sidequests, I managed to effectively stealth my way through at no expense for the build I had created - in the world of every playthrough having viable options, the spectre of the Deus-Ex-hole-in-the-wall or convenient-pile-of-crates still rears its unweildy head, 20 odd years on. My gun perks allowed me 20% faster reloads, among other such delights, but by the time I was around 20 hours in, I possessed firepower that allowed me to one shot the thugs that ran aimlessly at me. 
    The game crumbles under the illusion of choice, and as a result, everything in it seems to be less fully formed than if CDPR had been able to rein in things moreso, to reduce the 'need' to have a little of everything in the title. Regardless of what others may think, I absolutely feel the AAA pressures of creating the ur-game (I'll see you in 2022, multiplayer) akin to GTA or Ubiworld is where the fundamental failings of the game lie. Gigs fly in with nondescript abandon - always more to see. A half-baked police system is built in - drive twenty seconds down the road and a three star warning disappears. Fallout-esque items (though sadly fewer dildos than I expected) scatter across every environ, but I never really found a desire or reason to spend money. A character scolds me for killing everyone with gay abandon, but in looking up the quest line after completing the game, it actually changed no elements of what happens. It is a game in which I can do anything, but nothing actually carries any value. 
    It's impossible to weigh up the content of the game without looking at the context within which I played it. I played on my PC which I only bought this year, and the game ran smoothly at ultra across the board throughout. Yes, I got my fair share of hilarious bugs, but only one of them hard crashed the game, and another glitched a quest necessitating a re-load. I was, by all accounts, lucky. Yet it does feel somewhat fitting that a game structured around a piece of faulty tech, with radio news stories talking about injuries caused by faulty tech... well, you get the rest. 
    At the end of the game I chose my ending based on one of the two characters in the game that I genuinely enjoyed spending time with, and I can't see myself going back to see alternatives - there isn't enough meat to the bones of that ending to rush in for that. But I will keep dipping in and out of the city, watching the highrise mount and then dissipate as I run through the highways. That remained a constant joy for me, and throughout my playthrough I was never once inclined to fast-travel to a locale, even when it was several kilometers away. 
    It seems CDPR have made the most Cyberpunk product  , not game, that they could. A game pushed out unfinished and half-baked by a Corpo hiding it behind the sheen of Keanu, the buzz of 'what could be' in 2021. A game where the voice of those pushing the relentless ad campaign to the trolls and easy targets of the net echoes loudest. A game in which I can modify what I do, what I wear, and how I do it to my hearts content, but where none of it really matters. 
    And despite all that, it's raining in Night City, and my motorbike is only 31 meters away on autocall, there's road to be covered, and things to see that you people wouldn't believe.
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah but what score? Or is that hidden in all then words?
  • Played through the Hivebusters DLC in Gears 5 last night. Really is an excellent bit of ‘free’ DLC, if you have Game Pass. Took about 3.5 hours to play though in co-op. Lots of set pieces, some of which reminded me of Bulletstorm, for their slight madness. Can’t fault it at all.
  • Anyone want to play through HiveBusters with me tonight?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • played the first 10 mins of Death Stranding on a dodgy copy, loved it - what an intro.  
    Bought it from steam and downloading now
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Welcome and enjoy.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    A Short Hike
    That was an absolute fucking delight. Only gave it a couple of hours so missed a few sidequests but its charming, funny, adorable. Lovely little thing.
  • Is Blasphemous on your list of B's?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The Last Campfire

Thought the puzzles-lite might underwhelm me, and on a way they did, but the overall charm more than made up for that. Accidentally platinumed it getting all the folorns, it's a lover little package, and well worth it for under a tenner (clocking in at five hours on the nose). A smidge of clink from time to time, but basically a pleasure, so we'll go with a sightly generous [8].
  • I liked that but the pre-patch Xbox version got a miserly [6] for being glitchy AF.  Top voicework.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Is Blasphemous on your list of B's?

I don't own it!

Next on the list are:

ABZU
    Alien: Isolation (never played past first hour)
    Ashen
    Axiom Verge
    Blair Witch
    Cave Story+
    Celeste

This is just EPIC Launcher, then its Steam. So much to get through.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!