Just completed
  • I'll go first then.

Best to worst if I was to play them today on the best available hardware.

3D World
    Galaxy
    Galaxy 2
    Odyssey
    3D Land
    Sunshine

Everything above the the first line I would happily play any time. 3D Land I would play a remaster but I'm not playing with gimpy controls and screen. Sunshine can rack off.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Right, as Mr Mario what just cleared 5 of these in the past year the objective list is

Odyssey
    Galaxy 2
    3D World
    Galaxy
    3D Land
    Sunshine

Your memories are too kind to 64.
  • I dont think I would 100% 64 ever again but happy to tart around.
    Odyssey didn't massively do it for me except the beach level with the fizzy sea, I could hop in and out of that sea with the HD rumble all day.

In fact I would say Odyssey has the most peaks and troughs of all the 3D games. Some of those levels should have been left on the cutting room floor.
  • Sunshine is the worst in 3D Allstars because it gets close to looking like galaxy but handles to randomly.
  • Galaxy
    Galaxy 2
    3D Land
    3D World
    Odyssey
    Sunshine
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I actually think Sunshine has Mario's best moveset, outside of Odyssey. There's a glorious weight to the side jump, then wall jump, then hover that gets you to such amazing places. It's a real delight. All yall hating on Odyssey didn't 999 it.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    are you fucking kidding me liv, 3d land is great
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It is. I'm starting to think about putting it above Galaxy.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    are you fucking kidding me liv, 3d land is great

You will flip but I just can't get on with the 3ds. I had the OG and the New XL doodads. Strained eyes and hand cramp aren't my thing.

I did actually like the game but its a hard nope on going back to it on that hardware.
  • 3DW
    Odyssey
    Galaxy 2
    Land
    Galaxy
    Sunshine

64 remains the most impressive game on the list, it's a shame to have it so low but also testament to how good it was that it's not last a quarter of a century after release. Not much in it between Land and Galaxy but the rest of the list was easy enough.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think for me it's probably:

Galaxy 2
    3D Land
    Odyssey
    Galaxy
    3D World
    Sunshine
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Right, as Mr Mario what just cleared 5 of these in the past year the objective list is

Odyssey
    Galaxy 2
    3D World
    Galaxy
    3D Land
    Sunshine

Your memories are too kind to 64.

Woah Reg that's a list I can get behind except I can't remember which of the 3D jobbies I haven't played. I don't actually think I've played either of them. Fuck me.
  • Oydessy easily the best Mario tho. Game straight rips.
  • maybe it was just mario fatigue but odyssey didn't grab me. perhaps just cos the wow factor of 64 and the joy of galaxy are still burned on my brain so nothing will get passed that. but odyssey had too much faffing around and open world nonsense...i don't remember great levels, just walking around talking to people (not saying there weren't great levels, it's just not what i remember from the game).
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • If you give that list of Mario games to people to play for the first time in 2021, Mario 64 will come out rock bottom.
  • monkey wrote:
    If you give that list of Mario games to people to play for the first time in 2021, Mario 64 will come out rock bottom.

Bellow sunshine?
    Na.
  • Sunshine is passable. 64 is an absolute state.
  • Galaxy 2
    Galaxy
    3D World
    Odyssey
    3D Land
    Sunshine

I have a dodgy switch and have been playing bowsers fury for a few days, defo in the top tier of that list
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Galaxy 2
    Galaxy
    3D World
    Odyssey
    3D Land
    Sunshine

This is my order too. Pains me to see 64 so far down as in terms of impact it’s still top dog.

I’m not sure why I didn’t click with Odyssey, I just felt some of the worlds were a little lacking.

Galaxy 2 is still yet to be beaten for me, would love a re release.
  • Spiderman PS4
    I'm actually obsessed with finding everything now in order to get the platinum.
    Definitely one of those games you put on to just chill out to. The combat is fun, the city traversal is super fun and the bosses aren't too taxing, a lot of QTE. Still fun.
    Got the dlc recently so looking to jump in.

Mario 64 hasn't aged well at all. Sorry.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
    Sunshine
    3D world
    3D land
    Odyssey
    Galaxy/Galaxy2
  • I assume everyone's so down on 64 because of controls and camera being subpar by today's standards.

In terms of level design it's still a different class to anything I've played since. I've enjoyed all the others that I've played, but I'm always a bit disappointed that they just aren't as clever or adventurous.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    (tried to keep this as spoiler free as possible, mentioned some place names and shortened versions of boss names)

So, Bloodborne.

Finished that this Monday, base game, all bosses and I think I got most optional quest lines done as well. The game completely got me, not just by how you learn to play it, but I also loved the world, even though I didn't understand it.

It's the first From game I've played, and I struggled hard at the beginning, not realizing you could get a starter weapon, not understanding how the world worked or what the game expected me to do. B helped me out there a bit. I was stuck on Main Street for hours, slowly learning the rhythm, getting closer to the end of the street one enemy at a time before dying on the next. My first boss (c.beast) felt easy, I still had ps+ at the time so relied on the notes quite a bit. Got him first try that way, and I didn't feel like I ever really had the upper hand in that hunt, just was lucky enough to get out of it alive.
    The second boss, Father G, was a lot harder, and the environment didn't help me much there either. I stalled a bit on that, exploring more of Yharnam, getting my level up a bit more, and getting the music box. That's when I started to find out about the lore, and it's probably also the point where I started to look things up a bit more, as I wanted to know where all the hidden secrets were in this world, not wanting to miss anything. I learned about Eileen, Alfred, the people behind the doors and others.
    Leveling myself up didn't make the Father G fight any easier, but having had a glimpse at what the world was gonna offer, I wanted to get it done so I could explore more. It was B who helped me win the hunt, as he was watching and just told me to keep going, where I would probably have hesitated myself. I still didn't feel in control of that hunt, but definitely got the rush from winning it.
    From there on I went to Old Yharnam, had a peak at the Healing Church Workshop, got captured and found myself in the Hypogean Gaol, had a lot of fun at Hemwick Charnel Lane, before going back to the main story and finish up in Cathedral Ward, having done all the bosses in each area so far. 

I'm not gonna continue naming all the other places the game took me to, but I'm still surprised at how good to world building felt to me. Shortcuts looping you back to previous areas, revisiting older areas to see how they changed as the story progressed, some places started to feel familiar, while always giving you the feeling something was off. 
    Sure, assets weren't always placed that well, and some areas ended with some weird walls, but the further you get in the game, the more confident you feel in exploring the same area over and over, either because you just died so much, or because you're backtracking and looking for loot or shortcut, while always being on guard as you may never know if something changed and will jump at you. I loved the lighting in this, and the colours that are used. Some really strong art direction. Same goes for character and weapon design, I just found it very well done. It's all basic, grim and dirty, but it works so well. The animations for transforming the weapons do really give you the feel that it's a different weapon you're holding, the shots of your gun feel like they have weight. I never got any of this when I saw B play the game, but it just all makes sense when it gets you. Yes, it could be frustrating when the game delayed your inputs because it was still playing previous animations, and yes, the camera is horrible and a real struggle at times. 

I loved exploring this world, even though it scared me at times (actually quite a lot), was very unsettling at other times, still remains a big mystery and could be very exhausting. The last hunt (not talking about the true boss) was amazing, and a fitting hunt for the end of the game. It was one of the few hunts where I felt in control, by learning it through dying a lot. There was no way you could win this fight by just dodging and hoping your random button mashing would give you the win (I've definitely had bosses where it just was, close eyes, hope it doesn't do an attack that kills me so I can get the last couple hits in to win this). So when I got the health bar down where I knew I was just one visceral hit away from the win, I loaded up on blood bullets (just ran out of regular ones), maxed my health and just waited patiently for the attack that I knew I could parry. Was very satisfying, and what a difference of how I hunted at the start of the game.

It was hard to resist to jump straight into NG+, I got so many blood echoes from the last hunt that I could level up quite a bit if I wanted. I have a save before triggering the end hunt, so maybe one day I'll go back to explore the chalice dungeons, which according to some lore videos on YouTube seem to be part of the story, and the DLC. But for now, the night is over, and I'll wait for another time to pick up the hunt again.
  • A [10], right?! Best From game.
  • JonB wrote:
    I assume everyone's so down on 64 because of controls and camera being subpar by today's standards. In terms of level design it's still a different class to anything I've played since. I've enjoyed all the others that I've played, but I'm always a bit disappointed that they just aren't as clever or adventurous.

I’m guessing the same re camera etc. I agree, still best area/level design, but Galaxy had some corkers and overall I prefer that. Not 100% on why I put SM3DL before it. My list should be:

Galaxy
    Galaxy 2
    3DL
    3DW
    Odyssey
    Sunshine

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!