Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    I watched it again the other night, it's great.  I'm no horror guy but the comedy, rubbery effects and soundtrack turn it into something enjoyably OTT rather than repulsive.  Not sure I'd feel the same if a remake did photorealistic CGI.

Once Upon a Time in the West - I wish I had a stupidly big television for this as it looks glorious.  Wasn't sold on Bronson initially but he has a slight softness which makes him more intriguing than Clint's equivalent character.  Score's obviously amazing.  [9]

The Wild Goose Lake - Didn't really work for me, I just can't get past neon as an uninspired choice.  That's one excellent impaling though.  [5]

Sukiyaki Western Django - Miike's Django/Fistful/Yojimbo film with Tarantino doing some ridiculous accents.  It's daft in that way but really entertaining.  There's simply a level of commitment and quality I didn't expect from something which could've easily been trash.  [7]

Battles Without Honour and Humanity - Packs decades of organised crime dealings into 90mins and unsurprisingly feels a little rushed.  [6]
  • Double tagline too. I should probably watch it as Nick lent me the dvd, but I've already seen the ending...

Edit: Society.
  • Was gonna call you out m8 but then figured it's a bit harsh considering you've posted me about 20 dvds.

Co-signing for Once Upon A Time In The West - I don't think I liked Charles Bronson at all until I saw that, and yeah the score is phenomenal.
  • That duel scene. So best.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dubs wrote:
    Once Upon a Time in the West - I wish I had a stupidly big television for this as it looks glorious.  Wasn't sold on Bronson initially but he has a slight softness which makes him more intriguing than Clint's equivalent character.  Score's obviously amazing.  [9]

I really need to watch that. I've been meaning to hit some classic Westerns for a while now.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • It's an all-timer.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • 67. Sleepers - 8
    Great film, even if the morality of some of the characters is questionable.

68. Four Brothers - 7
    Easy viewing brainless action flick, decent.

69. The Business - 6
    I'm not really a Danny Dyer fan but this is one of the few films of his I enjoy, loses its way a bit at the end but I enjoyed it overall.

70. Official Secrets - 6
    Interesting true story that's definitely worth a watch.

71. What's the Worst That Could Happen? - 4
    Pretty much this film is. I really like Danny DeVito and Martin Lawrence, but this is a bit of a dud. Had a few chuckles at best.

72. The Aviator - 8
    Fascinating telling of the life of Howard Hughes. Scorsese and DiCaprio both on form, great supporting cast to.

73. The Fugitive - 9
    Love this film, saw it at the cinema back in the day. Tommy Lee Jones is superb.

74. Mean Streets - 7
    If I was critiquing this would be one of the best films on my list. I just found the story a bit underwhelming unfortunatley.

75. Remember the Titans - 7
    Ticks the box of every cliche but it's so easy and enjoyable to watch it doesn't matter.

76. A Bronx Tale - 7
    Kinda run-of-the-mill gangster fodder, it's all been done better elsewhere but this is still a decent movie.

77. The Children's Hour - 7
    Not a very controversial story for modern times but the performances pull it through, especially from Shirley MacLaine.

78. Carry On Girls - 6
    I'm a huge Carry On fan so take that with a pinch of salt. The series had long jumped the shark by this point, this is one of the last decent ones.

79. Ma - 4
    Far to unbelievable to be entertaining, I'd have turned it off long before the end if I'd had my way.

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • g.man wrote:
    It's an all-timer.

Once Upon a Time in the West, bloody incredible!

Hard to pick between West and America but I think the latter just pips it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Dubs wrote:
    [5] Sukiyaki Western Django - Miike's Django/Fistful/Yojimbo film with Tarantino doing some ridiculous accents.  It's daft in that way but really entertaining.  There's simply a level of commitment and quality I didn't expect from something which could've easily been trash.  [7]

I saw that yeaaaaars ago at a music festival (Roskilde) I legit can't remember if I enjoyed it all that much. I also saw a great Lee Scratch Perry documentary at the same festival, as well as Timecrimes. Good lineup!
    Dubs wrote:
    Battles Without Honour and Humanity - Packs decades of organised crime dealings into 90mins and unsurprisingly feels a little rushed.  [6]

Good series the Yakuza Papers, first 5 at least which were directed by Fukasaku, who went on to do Battle Royale of all things.
  • Does anyone know the indie music video clip that riffed on Society? I saw it years ago and remember it being a bit unsettling but can't seem to find it again. I feel like it was by a Grizzly Bear type band.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Looks like all of the first 5 Yakuza Papers films are streamable so I'll press on!  Might have to refresh my memory beforehand, I'm a couple of weeks behind with this thread and BWHaH (strong acronym) is bleeding into my memory of Retaliation.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    44. Neighbouring Sounds

Slow burning drama about the residents of a street in a Brazilian city.

[7]

45. Autumn Sonata

Intensely emotional drama about the fractured relationship between a mother and her daughter.

[7]
  • 67. 1922
    A good film but not a great one. One of those films where it could be something special with some better directing chops but it's a good effort. Tom Jane does a good gruff farmer voice.
    [6]

68. Instant Family
    Much better than it has any right to be. Sweet but not saccharine. Funny but not falsely so, although it does flirt with the typical American comedy babble at times. It's held together by having a good heart. Helped by the fact that it's inspired by the director's life I think.
    [8]
  • 13. Ant Man & The Wasp
    Seen this a few times now, but my 10yo boy has a bit of an emotional wobble this morning stressing out about everything that’s going on. This was the perfect way to cheer him up; light, funny and throwaway with lashings off Rudd to lift the blues. (7)
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    eXistenZ -  There's enough of Cronenberg's squidgy body horror to make it worth watching but the bigger themes didn't hold much interest for me.  [6]

The Silence - Figured I'd give Bergman another shot after I turned off The Seventh Seal about ten years ago.  Glad I tried again as I enjoyed this film's slow burn.  Light on dialogue but big on simmering tensions, every little gesture feels heavy with meaning.  [7]

Rashomon - Fell asleep after an hour I am so sorry, too much Proper Cinema at once I think.  [N/A]

Sisters - Twins, rear windows, psychosis, PIs and split-screens as De Palma does a predictable, but still panic-inducing, Hitchcock thriller.  [7]

Bait - What a brilliant vision.  Loved Rowe as the menacing, wounded fisherman going down with his ship.  [8]
  • Haven't seen it for years but Sisters is good.  Derivative Hitchcock paeans can be great fun. Massive soft spot for Road Games.
  • 84. Killer Joe
    A finger lickin' turn by McConaughey as a cop-cum-contract killer in this decent but not deep, darkly comic crime caper. 7

85. Southern Comfort
    National Guardsmen are treated to some traditional southern hospitality whilst on manoeuvres in Cajun country. Great location and Ry Cooder soundtrack. 7
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Props to KJ for the absolute banger that is Strokin' by Clarence Carter, over the end credits.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Southern Comfort is a great film, haven't seen it for years.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So flora and I have been re watching the star wars movies - we have the 1-6 Blu-ray collection and obviously disney plus is providing the rest.

We've done ep 1-2 so far and time has really been an interesting factor on them

I think 1 is actually a decent film, but shackled by the hubris of George Lucas letting his own son go near it. Jett and his naming probably ruined that film.
    I think Liam Neeson gives as game a performance as he can, whilst McGregor seems rabbit-in-headlights mode as to what Guinness would be.
    As Clerks pointed out, the podrace is pretty cool and a thing I spotted this time around is that Lucas (or his editors) don't put mad music over intense action sequences. In fact, the duel of the dates scene actually has its most dramatic moments without a score. It's an interesting choice, and one maybe from a bygone era. I think the podrace really does benefit from just the diegesis providing the aural support.

And then there's episode 2.
    It's truly abysmal. And that's because there was no Lawrence Kasdan or Harrison Ford to step in on lines of dialogue. And as such we get the famed "I hate sand" speech.
    In addition to that Natalie Portman gets her tight white Britney Spears outfit conveniently torn to show her midriff, presaging Toxic by two years. Following that, Lucas gives us Yoda doing a light sabre battle, one of the least needed and most unsatisfactory elements of the whole trilogy.

A bit of a shitshow, really.

So I do remember quite liking 3 so maybe that'll be fun. But I do know I hate solo and especially hate rogue 1 so great a good time for all ahead. And so we row....
  • Gremill wrote:
    Southern Comfort is a great film, haven't seen it for years.

I'd not seen it for a good while too. I've got it below Deliverance in terms of terror and tension, but the claustrophobic swamp and the final sequence in the locals village mid hoedown is top tier.
  • Aye, it was a good movie that. Dripping in atmosphere.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    the podrace is pretty cool
    Lucas always at his best when he’s homaging something/someone:
    https://vimeo.com/84289137

Individual shots themselves probably lifted out of Ben Hur and the Frankenheimer Grand Prix.
  • Heh. I remember seeing that when I was a kid. Who'd have thought?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So that's episode 3 in the can,which is definitely longer than I remembered, but to be honest, not an unsatisfactory evening.

It certainly has a lot of ends to tie up, and as such gets weighed down by a little Basil Exposition at points, and whether it's Lucas' direction or just the limitations of Christiansen (although I don't like dunking too much on him - once he turns he's generally alright), lines like "from my point of view the Jedi are evil" in the middle of a ferocious sword fight feel completely out of place.
    That said, there's enough to like in it - I think Grevious is an interesting villain, he's got a cool aesthetic and sound to him, and it's , I dunno, something different.

Not at all a bad film, and there's enough hitting the beats that you want at the end (NNNOOOOOOO aside) to link in to 4 in a way that feels faithful, without the bullshittedniss that Rogue One did.

So, onto Solo next. Christ.
  • I don't think I could sit through Solo again.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm not looking forward to it. The only thing I want to see is the
    Spoiler:
    bit again
  • I watched Solo again the other day and preferred it to the first watch. Just grit your teeth through the worst bits explaining away all the mystery of the character.
  • Extraction
    Bang! Bang! Knife fight! Explosion! Bang! (Actually, not a bad mindless action movie. That’ll do, Hemsworth.)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!