Movie record 2020 edition
  • As with Walters and the stunt stuff there's loads of decent short action on youtube from amateur teams - e.g. I remember seeing Eric Jacobus start out on youtube and do some nice shorts like:

I guess the issue then is that they often then end up going pro and the paid gigs means the youtube stuff drops off. 
    Also, youtube is great for really niche stuff, but just can't compete with the kinds of production scale and values that Jackie had with films like Police Story and Project A.
  • Those are fantastic :)
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Jackie Chan’s stepladder fight is still unmatched, for me. Perfect blend of action and humour.
  • Playground fight in Police Story and the brawl at the end of Drunken Master 2, for me. Never bettered.
  • Ending fight in shopping centre in Police Story for me. Maybe I was an impressionable age, but as a teenager that fight had so many "wow, I need to rewind the tape to see that again!" moments I think it was only the first Ong-Bak that came anywhere close on that measure.
  • Also, Jackie vs Benny in Wheels on Meals is primo tier:

Obviously time for a rewatch of this:

• jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Obviously time for a rewatch of this:

Nice analysis by Jackie. "It's not good. You can do it. Except do you have the patience or not?"
  • The patience, but also the budget to afford to burn through 500ft of celluloid trying to kick an apple at a mans face.
    Youtube stuff like “Dude, perfect” and that “yeah, I got skills” guy just wasn’t viable before digital recording.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I thought Headshot has some Jackie Chan style stuff in it, Uwais trying his hand at the “clever use of environmental object into bewildered luck as he nearly gets leathered by his angry opponent mere seconds later” schtick, except it was 100x more violent and nasty than a Chan/Fat flick. I feel like quarantine Shabby is a severe critic though as The Raid and Paprika are both near perfect for me.

I can appreciate people loving The Raid. I just wasn't feeling it with all the stabbing, made me feel gross. There was still some cool stuff though. Was a personal preference score though. And Paprika, I dunno, I just felt like I spent a bunch of it catching up mentally. Loved the visuals though.
    I think I am in a funny place for films at the moment. Not much has really gotten through to me like films used to. Except for the Before series everything else has left my mind quite quickly after watching.

I'll check out those other action recs though. Maybe even the gross ones :P
    I think I've seen scenes from Chocolate before so I'll start there.
  • All those Jackie scenes were my teen years. Lots of re-rentals of those tapes.
  • TBH, if you want 80s prime Jackie, you can’t go wrong with Police Story, Armour of God, Wheels on Meals, Project A, Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars etc.

No point searching for a nostalgia hit from modern stuff if the old stuff is all still right there.
  • 72. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
    Shabby rates cynical Hollywood nonsense higher than widely regarded classics in Movie Record 2020 shocker.
    [7]
  • Are there more than one Jurassic Worlds? I saw one with Chris Pratt. I gave it a [5].
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yeah there’s two. The first one was ok. Second one is utter garbo. Shabby is clearly suffering from something.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Are there more than one Jurassic Worlds? I saw one with Chris Pratt. I gave it a [5].

What did Chris give it?
  • jdanielp wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Are there more than one Jurassic Worlds? I saw one with Chris Pratt. I gave it a [5].
    What did Chris give it?

He gave it some welly.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Yeah there’s two. The first one was ok. Second one is utter garbo. Shabby is clearly suffering from something.

Suffering from a love of dino/monster movies.
  • 89. One Cut of the Dead
    Quirky and original, Japanese indie zomcom within a one take live broadcast within the making of the zomcom that's within the one take live broadcast... with the actual making of the making of the zomcom at the end. 7
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    50. Ema

Visually striking dance drama about a couple suffering a breakdown in their relationship.

[6]
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    89. One Cut of the Dead Quirky and original, Japanese indie zomcom within a one take live broadcast within the making of the zomcom that's within the one take live broadcast... with the actual making of the making of the zomcom at the end. 7

I loved it, was whooping at the end because I hadn't noticed the significance of the title until then
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yes, good film, the last quarter where you see it all coming together really brought a smile and a cheer. I was wavering between a 7 or 8. I'm trying not to give half scores but it probably is a 7.5 for me.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • They play a wonderful long game with the initial clunking. The inevitable western remake will mess it up completely.
  • 14. The Money Pit
    Watched this stone cold classic with the kids half thinking it wouldn't really appeal as they tend to disregard anything more than 10 year old. How wrong I was - they loved it. Still hilarious, with Hanks at the top of his comedy game. (9)
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Class film. Get them on The Burbs next.
  • The Rhythm Section
    Blake Lively is excellent (and barely recognisable) but it’s a mediocre thriller, full of cliché.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    The car chase in the middle was pretty good though.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    The Chaser - Covers enough material for a normal movie in the first 20 minutes and just keeps going, maintaining its pace through nerve-shredding horror and a breathless cat and mouse game.  Are Korean police just awful?  [8]

Videodrome - I love how direct Cronenberg's horror is: TV bad, evil videotape control man.  It's like a grotesque satirical cartoon made flesh.  [7]

Army of Shadows - Also did Un Flic and Le Cercle Rouge but I think the understated style is better suited to this film.  This is the French resistance as a dirty business, free from romance.  [7]

The Birds - Tippi Hedren infects a town with at least 19 corvids.  Loved the buildup, felt like a nice companion to Bait, but was less interested in the final act.  Hitch hits you with some fairly graphic images but some of it still came off as comical.  [7]

Charade - Mystery thriller which switches to fizzy comedy when Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant are on-screen together.  The changes in tone can be jarring but those two are so good together that I didn't really mind.  Grant had the romance rewritten so there's none (or at least less) of the creepy undertone which you find in Funny Face or Sabrina, making it much easier to simply relax and enjoy the quick-fire wit.  [8]
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    51. Southland Tales

Spectacularly incomprehensible and self-indulgent follow up to the (accidentally?) brilliant Donnie Darko.

[4]
  • That's the one with The Rock that feels like it's never going to end right?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!