Movie record 2020 edition
  • Calm With Horses - mesmeric performance from Cosmo heads up a solid crime drama with a stellar cast. 4.5/5
  • Southland and Calm were both films high on my list. Southland just because I never saw it. Considering how he made DD worse with the directors cut it doesn't surprise me he'd make a mess with more money etc
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    That's the one with The Rock that feels like it's never going to end right?

Indeed.

Considering how he made DD worse with the directors cut it doesn't surprise me he'd make a mess with more money etc

Indeed.
  • Rise of Skywalker

Really enjoyed this. Not the greatest Star Wars by a long shot but certainly not worth all the bile and hate. A perfectly entertaining slice of adventure.

Bubba Ho-Tep
    Bruce Campbell in a very touching performance as an aging Elvis fighting a mummy. Real good fun
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Bubba Ho-Tep Bruce Campbell in a very touching performance as an aging Elvis fighting a mummy. Real good fun

It's a movie I'm kinda scared to watch just because two legends, worrying
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • It's worth a watch. I'm working my way through my Bruce Campbell box set.

Tomorrow is a double bill of Alien Apocalypse and The Man With The Screaming Brain
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Bubba Ho-Tep is great.
  • Bubba Ho-Tep is great.

Yes it really is
  • I’ve had the Blu-Ray sitting in my cupboard for about eight years and have never gotten around to watching it.
  • It’s a cracking film. Has real heart as well.
  • 73. Scary Stories to Tell In The Dark
    A weird one. Typical tween scary movie setup but with a weird infatuation with the politics of the time. Neat creature design but very average execution of those sections. A bit of a missed opportunity.
    [5]

74. Blue Ruin
    Utterly excellent. I love watching early films by talented filmmakers. Really shows his craft here.
    [9]
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    74. Blue Ruin Utterly excellent. I love watching early films by talented filmmakers. Really shows his craft here. [9]

Although so often it is all downhill from there... Green Room was almost as good though. I just looked on IMDb and saw that he made a film called Hold the Dark (not Red R***?!) which doesn't sound all that good though :\
  • I don't see how "all downhill" tracks given he's only made two films since, one of which was Green Room which was "almost as good" heh. Also the colour thing I felt was always forced on him, cos a Green Room is a thing, I guess he just thought it was neat, rather than really being wedded to it. 

From the lad himself
    What colors are you interested in using in the future?

Purple, of course. But there will likely not be a color trilogy as some have suspected!

I keep meaning to watch Murder Party too.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Yeah, I was saying that he's more of an exception than anything, but was also generalising massively. I haven't watched Murder Party either. Let's hope he gets back on form again soon with Red R*** ;)
  • Tempy wrote:
    I don't see how "all downhill" tracks given he's only made two films since, one of which was Green Room which was "almost as good" heh. Also the colour thing I felt was always forced on him, cos a Green Room is a thing, I guess he just thought it was neat, rather than really being wedded to it.  From the lad himself
    What colors are you interested in using in the future? Purple, of course. But there will likely not be a color trilogy as some have suspected!
    I keep meaning to watch Murder Party too.

Murder Party is fun. Much more amateur than Ruin but you can still see his writing and filmmaking chops. Obviously a "mates make a film" thing but you can see why people would give him money off it to make something else.
    I'll watch Hold the Dark soon. Don't know anything about it which I think suits his films best. I actually thought he'd made more stuff... "Earlier films" isn't all that much earlier :P
  • 40. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - 8 May
    Ooh no movie for almost a month?! Anyway, this is Miyazaki at his best. Entertaining, beautiful, and with thematic depth. Straight in at number 2 for both kids (after Totoro) and rightly so. Next up is probably Castle in the Sky.
    [9]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • That's my favourite of his, saw it way back as a kid under the title Warriors Of The Wind, which had huge chunks cut out because hey kids don't want a long film. Still loved it.
  • Nightmare On Elm St (2010) - dull remake that lacks the edge and character of the original. 1.5/5
  • I was afraid my Boy would fidget and move around and get bored but he sat through the whole thing, good lad!

I’m kinda working my way up in chronological order of release. Kinda.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 90. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Tarantino in restrained mode with his ode to Hollywood, but an enjoyable ensemble film that is no less well crafted and acted. 8

91. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
    An ok Star Wars film. It's not terrible but it treads its formulaic path like the previous two in this trilogy with some aplomb and wraps up quite emotionally. Still nothing can capture the original trilogy's magic. 6

92. The Slumber Party Massacre
    Apeshit double denim driller killer nutjob bothers pyjama party teens in this bad but brilliant 1982 slasher. 6
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • SPMP.jpg?fit=434%2C645&ssl=1

Again, title and poster outweigh the quality of film but it's closer this time.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    40. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - 8 May Ooh no movie for almost a month?! Anyway, this is Miyazaki at his best. Entertaining, beautiful, and with thematic depth. Straight in at number 2 for both kids (after Totoro) and rightly so. Next up is probably Castle in the Sky. [9]

Can't ever chat about Nausicaa without Anno's contribution to it

Nv0PIH.gif

Creepy as shit.
  • That's a cracking poster.
  • The Kitchen
    Lightweight gangster thriller with a feminist slant set in ’70s New York. Melissa McCarthy and Elisabeth Moss stand out from an excellent cast.

(Incredible soundtrack too.)
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Whisper of the Heart - A proper heartwarmer, who'd have thought Country Roads could give you a lump in your throat?  They just needed to translate it into a language I don't understand, spend two hours completely changing the context then deliver a vocal which perfectly captures this girl's tentative optimism.  Disappointing lack of lo-fi hip hop beats.  [8]  

Police Story 2 - The stunts and fights are as good as you'd expect, with Jackie in typically self-destructive form, but there's a bit too much investigation between the action.  No-one cares about the plot, just keep chucking yourself off things and endangering your cast!  RIP Maggie's scalp.  [8]

Autumn Sonata - Two people talking in a room and it's very pretty, pretty devastating but not depressing.  Feels more like a cleansing, burning everything down to make way for a real relationship.  Never quite got used to the soliloquies.  [8]

Re-Animator - Just a fun time isn't it?  Combs is brilliant as West and the film treads a fine line, with only one moment threatening to get too nasty.  [8]

Obsession - More Hitchcockian De Palma.  You kind of know where it's going but it's so well put together that I didn't really mind.  [7]
  • ChoppingMall.jpg

93. Chopping Mall
    Apeshit malfunctioning killer Johnny 5 mallbots bother late night revellers in this bad but entertainingly bad 1986 tech trauma. 5

Key line - "I guess I'm just not being used to getting chased around a mall in the middle of the night by killer robots."
  • Bringing back a lot of long forgotten memories with these Webbins. :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Where are you getting all these, I want to watch Chopping Mall.
  • Chopping Mall is brilliant
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Where are you getting all these, I want to watch Chopping Mall.

Prime. It's 80s videostore top shelf heaven.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!