Movie record 2020 edition
  • 72. Hustlers
    The amazing looking J.Lo highlights in this overhyped yet entertaining, scheming strippers tale. 7

73. Beerfest
    Shallow, goofy yet still entertaining beer fuelled hijinks from the Super Trooper boys. 7

74. Too Late
    Decent pulpy noir blend of multi threaded storytelling, cool music and snappy dialogue. 8
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    41. Bacurau

Bizarre thriller about a Brazilian village that suddenly loses contact with the world.

[5]
  • 59. Eight Below - 7
    Eight sled dogs are left behind in a deadly storm, one for doggie lovers. The human cast which includes Paul Walker is decent enough, but the dogs steal the show.

60. Knocked Up - 8
    Still Seth Rogan's best movie for me, funny stuff.

61. She's Out of My League - 6
    Better than expected romcom, with a bit of a no name cast. Could see how many of the roles were written with other, more famous actors in mind.

62. The Family - 7
    Another I enjoyed way more than expected. Bit of a weak ending, but I liked it.

63. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad - 7
    Post war, financially stretched Disney resorted to shorter stories/double features to make some cash. Glad with Disney+ I can finally catch up on these old Classics. Superb animation for the 40's, really enjoyed it.

64. Sleepy Hollow - 8
    Couldn't resist revisiting this after the Disney above. A perfect fit for Burton imo, up there with the Batman's as my favourite of his.

65. Blue Streak - 5
    This is quite a bad film but Martin Lawrence and Dave Chappelle crack me up to much for me to hate it.

66. Dumb & Dumber - 9
    Still cracks me up to this day. Farrelly Brothers and Jim Carrey at their best, and Jeff Daniels is every bit his equal. Reminds me of the good old 90's and simpler times.

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

• 57. Before Sunrise.
    Wonderful. I knew I should have watched this years ago.
    [10]
  • 58. Bowfinger
    Not as funny as I'd remembered but still quite entertaining.
    [6]
  • 59. Before Sunset
    Imagine being able to come back 9 years later and recapture the same magic. Just wonderful.
    [10]
  • Ha they really are great films.
  • Imagine being able to come back 9 years later and recapture the same magic. Just wonderful. [10]

tenor.gif
  • :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Ha they really are great films.

I must have something wrong with me, I found them so dull and the two characters quite unlikable. It was just waffly pap, was my take. If there's a few of ye sayimg otherwise I'll perhaps revisit at some point. (These are the wet films by Linklater, right?)
  • The whole Trilogy is utterly brilliant.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I mean it's not the first time I've been right and everyone else has been wrong. Probably.
  • Neither of them are particularly likeable at times. Might be my shout for best trilogy.
  • Jesus, guys, c'mon.
  • World War Z
    Unfairly maligned disaster movie on an epic global scale. Tense fun, even if it’s a waste of the source material.

An incredibly timely watch right now. Remove the word ‘zombie’ and a lot of the dialogue in early scenes could be talking about covid-19.
  • 37. Superbad - 8 Apr
    A great rewatchable high school coming of age movie with some hilarious moments. McLovin is the greatest.
    [8]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @poprock problem for me with it wasn’t the concept. Thought it was solid. It was execution. The “zombies” had that CGI mass look (like I Am Legend) that makes you feel you are watching a video game cut scene. May watch it again though.

@elf incredibly childish nonsense. Still enjoy every minute. Mainly due to Hill and Cera.
  • The zombies do have a CGI here look to them – but WWZ was one of the first times we saw that done. Felt fresh to me at the time.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I watched it at the pictures, never seen it on a small screen, it had spectacle, no doubt, I noticed Pepsi a lot more than I noticed bad or replicated textures on the zombies
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • The version I have (from the high seas many years ago) seems to have most of the Pepsi cans CGI’d to look unbranded. They’re black and purple with no logo on them. Weird.
  • 75. Captain Fantastic
    Isolated, anti-capitalist father and kids journey to liberate deceased wife in this highly emotional, engrossing and thoroughly excellent drama. 9
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Woops, slightly fell out of the habit with logging these. Let's play catch up: selection affected by partner signing up for Disney+ and insisting we take in some of her old favourites (as well as one of mine).

Diego Maradona
    Superb documentary about the great man's career peaking with his time at Napoli. I'd never been able to fully appreciate the argument that Maradona was the greatest of all time, but this has convinced me. Unbelievable talent on show.

Breakfast on Pluto
    A charmingly bittersweet Irish comedy with Cillian Murphy playing a trans woman growing up during the Troubles. Left me with Sugar Baby Love stuck in my head for several days afterwards.

The Incredibles 2
    The premise probably lacks the freshness of the original, but it certainly looks a lot better, and has its moments. 

The Great Mouse Detective
    An enjoyable Disney riff on classic Sherlock Holmes tales. This was a real favourite when I was a kid, and remains a bit of an overlooked Disney classic in my eyes. Notable for being one of the first animated features to have a major use of computer animation, something which became a touchstone during the Disney Renaissance in the '90s.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire
    A riveting, slow-burn French period drama centred on a portrait artist falling in love with her subject. Every frame of this is utterly beautiful, and the entire film is mesmeric. Nothing short of a masterpiece. 

The Muppets (2011)
    This was far funnier than I expected it to be, especially with half a bottle of wine in me. 

Muppet Treasure Island
    This was far less funny than I remembered it being, though Tim Curry is clearly having the time of his life, and I'd probably pay to watch him read a phonebook. 

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
    Easy to forget how tight, stirring, and immensely fun this first film is. A shame they went so badly off the rails afterwards.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Portrait of a Lady on Fire is on MUBI from today, probably FOTY until I saw First Love.

The City of the Dead - Spoooooooky witch story shot well and lent quality by Christopher Lee and a peculiar atmosphere.  Some zany, Scooby Doo style chase music lets it down a little. [6]

Wake In Fright - Does a great job of ramping up the aggressive hospitality into something more insidious and disturbing.  The disclaimer at the end offers little comfort.  [7]

Deadbeat at Dawn - 80mins of nunchucks, kung-fu kicks, ninja stars and some decent gore.  All the cool things.  It's the good kind of trash.  [6]

Lady Snowblood - And now some artful trash.  Some real pretty scenes and satisfyingly bloody even as it sits in the wavy pat-a-cake realm of 70's martial arts movies.  The non-linear structure does a great job of keeping the pace up and adding weight to Kaji's mostly expressionless performance.  [7]

Society - Deploys the inherently unsettling 80's aesthetic to great effect, one that's only grown more potent with time, I'm sure.  Strange that The Blue Danube cropped up in two films in a row, it's paired with something altogether more memorable here, and the credits music is the icing on the cake.  I needed some cathartic satire.  [8]
  • @Kazuo nice too see someone else enjoying Disney+

I was a big fan of Basil back in the day, it's in my watch list atm.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Bloody love Disney+
    Such great value for money
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

It's well worth a revisit. Only has two musical numbers but Vincent Price is a stand-out villain and the final set-piece is pretty brilliant. Glad that it held up, so many nostalgic revisits to things don't seem to.
  • Dolemite is my Name
    Eddie Murphy is perfect as the man who made himself into a blaxploitation star. Funny and heartwarming. Wesley Snipes is an excellent comedy foil.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    The version I have (from the high seas many years ago) seems to have most of the Pepsi cans CGI’d to look unbranded. They’re black and purple with no logo on them. Weird.

Cgi'd advertising. Different brands for different regions. You must have had an unfinished cut.

• That would make sense. A couple of scenes showed Pepsi, others didn’t.
  • I think it's the fact it's bloodless that turns me off that film. It just smacks of studio involvement. Gotta get them younguns to the cinema, cut out all that red stuff!

And yes, the before movies are good partly because they seem like real people with flaws. Whilst the first 2 have a heightened romantic sheen to them in a way they both still feel realistic because of the characters and performances

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!