Just completed
  • The Last Guardian. 

Plenty of mulling since finishing it off yesterday. 

It's just a completely beautiful game. I really loved it. 

For a moment after the opening section I was worried that beyond the wonder of Trico (and he is truly wonderful), the actual game here might be a bit boring. It wasn't. To play, it's a linear puzzle platformer that reminded me most of Prince of Persia (I've never played an Ico game before). Puzzles are perfectly pitched, with elegant solutions offering just sufficient pause and always, as with everything here, feeding into the relationship at the heart of this game.

And it's beautiful. There's scale to it I've not really come across before.  A massive medieval fairy tail world, like a less dark Dark Souls, is one of the most striking I can remember.

Yes, there were absolutely times of frustration in getting Trico to do what I wanted, but the mask never slipped, and as far as I’m concerned this only ever spoke to the odd-couple pairing of these two creatures from completely different worlds. 

The king of videogame narratives for me has always been Portal. I think maybe TLG can now sit beside it. It’s a beautifully paced tale about a relationship, and everything from the mechanics to the puzzles to the world itself serves to drive the story of this relationship to it’s conclusion. And oh, what a conclusion!

Obviously no spoilers here, but I will say that it builds to a tremendous last few hours and although I couldn’t predict where it was headed, by the time the final screen fades to black, it really couldn’t have ended any other way. 

Easy 10
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Keep your inteespecies love in the weird loving thread.
  • Titan Souls

Just under 4 hours. 278 deaths. All titans dead.

Enjoyed it overall. It's a nice idea and the bosses are well-designed and varied. It walks a fine line between rewarding (the sudden stop when you finally land a killer blow is always very satisfying) and frustrating, and it's probably a good job they didn't drag it on too long, but it usually it gets it right. Quick restarts help.

Lovely music too.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Hilarious final boss aside, that's Gears of War 4, a thoroughly average game, done. Fuck my life does Gears need an upgrade. I was done after Judgment and I'm double done now. Beautiful but fucking ploddo.

This. A solid 6/10. Time for a change, I reckon - Gears of Wars, an RTS a la Halo Wars? Dunno.

MP is fun, roll-n-shotty seems to have been nerfed.

People should PM or message me on XBL if they're down for co-op campaign or Horde.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The Wolf Among Us (PC)

Fairly typical Telltale guff really - occasionally interesting bits of plotting (e.g. the very end bit), but a constant feeling that you're playing a video game and that your decisions aren't really effecting much beyond the edges.  Some good characters in there (excellent English swearing from Georgie & Toad), but the discovery they all came from comic books means no creativity bonus on that front.

So, largely to annoy bollo, a lowly [6] tads from a pole.
  • JonB wrote:
    Titan Souls Just under 4 hours. 278 deaths. All titans dead. Enjoyed it overall. It's a nice idea and the bosses are well-designed and varied. It walks a fine line between rewarding (the sudden stop when you finally land a killer blow is always very satisfying) and frustrating, and it's probably a good job they didn't drag it on too long, but it usually it gets it right. Quick restarts help. Lovely music too.

I think I'll download this on the Vita for tomorrow.  I've heard mixed reports but it still appeals.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Titan Souls Just under 4 hours. 278 deaths. All titans dead. Enjoyed it overall. It's a nice idea and the bosses are well-designed and varied. It walks a fine line between rewarding (the sudden stop when you finally land a killer blow is always very satisfying) and frustrating, and it's probably a good job they didn't drag it on too long, but it usually it gets it right. Quick restarts help. Lovely music too.
    I think I'll download this on the Vita for tomorrow.  I've heard mixed reports but it still appeals.

I'm half tempted, but only so I can feel smug if I get a mere 277 deaths.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Maybe I'm a different person from when I played it? Maybe I'd think it's shit too?

To the monastery.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    I did Titan Souls today, very good, only a couple of duds in there (the skull one and the plant one from those Zelda games). Last boss, Truth, was the best because of the instant restarts and visual clarity. Would've preferred a menu instead of an empty overworld but it only really grated when I went round to clean up the last few bosses after the credits.
    The one thing that did annoy was mapping run and roll to the same buttons so you only get an instant dodge if you're walking. I've no idea why it's even possible to walk.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm guessing: 2
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Well into triple figures, I'm afraid.

19 Killed
    149 Deaths
    02:25:10
  • I couldn't be bothered with the walks to each Titan after death and gave up. I feel it totally miscalculated and fumbled its aims but plenty of people seem to enjoy it so hey ho.
  • I downloaded it because I could, but not if want to play.
  • I downloaded it because I could, but not if want to play.

• Dubs wrote:
    Well into triple figures, I'm afraid.
    I don't think it would be possible not to hit triple figures first time unless you were following a guide. A lot of deaths happen while working out the attacks and weak spot each titan has. (I did manage to do one of them first time though, in the first few seconds - sheer fluke of course.)

But clearly I'm far more cack-handed at actually executing strategies once I've figured them out.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm gunning for sub-99
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I downloaded it because I could, but not if want to play.

I tried it once died five times haven't played since.
  • Super Time Force Ultra
    Improved a bit once I got the hang of it more. A decent variety of levels, and there is some thought involved if you try and get all the collectables rather than just getting to the end of each one. Also, there are some more puzzle-like stages outside the main game. It still lacks finesse though - controls are too twitchy and sensitive and most obstacles can be overcome through sheer weight of numbers. It's also nowhere near as funny as it wants to be.
  • The division campaign and all side missions/encounters/checkpoints.

Over 2 days play time, tier 4. Have tried survival once, incursion once, DZ a couple of times, haven't unlocked underground yet.

Granted the side missions/encounters etc are the same/similar in every area, but it's still impressive I haven't had to repeat any main missions in that time. Always been heaps to do.

I realise I came a patch or three late to it, but it's damn impressive.

A few missed tricks. Working out what guns will do compared to others is a bit of a pain. The infected timed missions are a wasted idea.

Also felt. Like the main missions could have had a few more tricks up their sleeve.

Still, when you have gear you like and all your tricks and you're up against later enemies who are aggressive and can fuck you up, the mechanics and tension rarely disappoint.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Grow Home
    That was fun. Surprised as I'd played it briefly before and wasn't bothered about continuing, but it clicked this time and I was really enjoying exploring the place with the shitty little robot.

Only played to the credits and there's a lot of optional stuff, but I'm happy to leave it there rather than wear out the basic gameplay through repetition.
  • Uncharted 4
    I don't know why I bought it - I haven't really enjoyed the other games, but it was an impulse purchase.

It's pretty, I'll give it that, and I don't actually mind the story. But the shooting, good god the shooting. Actively loathe the gunplay in this game. It's just so boring.
  • I forgot to add that I finished Superhot, sorry SUPER. HOT. a few days ago. It was a lot of fun, though I enjoyed it more when I played with M&K as opposed to the pad. I found that the controls were a bit picky thanks to flattening everything down to one or two buttons, but when it works, it works a treat and you really do feel like you have a preternatural ability to dodge fire and execute with impunity.

The story is utter fucking drivel, and really gets in the way of what should have been a super lean experience. There are some nice ideas conceptually, and it can be quite effective at being creepy, but overall it's just you mashing at the keyboard to advance dialogue or wandering around in environments waiting for the game to let you on to the next set piece.

Thankfully the actual levels are a delight, tasking you with mixing things up just enough to make the most of its limited toolset. You have barfights, carpark brawls, stealh incursions gone wrong and subway station showdowns all ripped from famous films and pared back to such an austere state that they do feel like simulations. It is a shame, however, that it sticks to the same formula for the whole game, only deigning to mix it up for the last level which is 50% brillaince and 50% a royal pain in the arse - luckily the pay of is great, and I love a bit of cathartic ultramurder to top of my violent delights. Then the plot comes back and spoils it. Oh well. In the sequel I'd like to see a crouch button, which would obviously lead into a running slide ala Dishonored 2, and then I'd like a proper scoring system later, perhaps focusing on chaining and bodypart specific kills.

For those interested, here is the first bit of ultrawank I ever wrote about games, and it was about the Superhot demo - https://killscreen.com/articles/superhot-and-the-unique-temporality-of-videogames/
  • Funnily enough, I've just finished Uncharted 4 as well.
    It's only the 2nd one in the series I've played, the other being U2.
    Hmmmmm, it's very pretty, and the amount of work that's gone into it is staggering. The animation, the endless bants present when even the most inconsequential unscripted thing happens. Full marks for detail, but...
    ...as a game it was a bit disappointing. I enjoyed much of it, but the opening was terrible and it just seems to fizzle out at the end. Really goes out with a whimper rather than a bang. Less said about the tacked on epilogue the better.
    The characters are charming. ND do this better than pretty much anyone else. No surprise there.
    The shooting was still a bit poor, but less annoying for me than U2. 
    It was nice to see a few puzzles, but again they seemed to fizzle out as the game went on.

The open world bits were absolutely pointless though, and I'd end up cringing whenever I had to get in a jeep.
    Ultimately there just isn't enough to do other than press up to win. You might as well just follow the main path for the whole game, because there's never anything to see if you deviate. All that effort that's gone into creating a sumptuous semi-open world (in places) and it's all pointless. Shame that.

Commits the cardinal sin of having set-pieces that the devs clearly think are awesome, and look great in a YouTube video, but the reality is you just die over and over and over again until you figure out what the fuck you are meant to do. My stats at the end claim 91 checkpoints failed or re-started. Thats basically 91 times the game fucked me over for not being clairvoyant. That's not good design.

So, it's not bad then, I quite enjoyed it, but for all the incredible tech on show, it feels very old fashioned in it's design. Just feels like it should be so much more than it is.

decent enough tho

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Uncharted 4 I don't know why I bought it - I haven't really enjoyed the other games, but it was an impulse purchase. It's pretty, I'll give it that, and I don't actually mind the story. But the shooting, good god the shooting. Actively loathe the gunplay in this game. It's just so boring.

What would need to be done to improve the gunplay? I'm not disagreeing with you, just intrigued.
  • Super Hot sounds good, I played it briefly and I'll bite when the price is right, but Frozen Cortex sounds superb.  Both would rank among the most interesting experiments in recent years.  The VR game where a blink causes one scene to jump to another has No man's Sky levels of unachievable potential too.
  • Agree with all that - except I think I enjoyed it less. But yeah - the world, the characters, the puzzles, the batnz, all fine. The rest? Not so much. And yeah, it doesn't feel like you're playing it - you're just going through the motions of what's being telegraphed.

And thy ending, jesus.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Super Hot sounds good, I played it briefly and I'll bite when the price is right, but Frozen Cortex sounds superb.  Both would rank among the most interesting experiments in recent years.  The VR game where a blink causes one scene to jump to another has No man's Sky levels of unachievable potential too.

I wish I could find more time to play Cortex.

I'm really interested in Frozen Synapse 2 which sounds like that canned introversion game from a few years back as it has warring corps and gangs trying to take over a procedurally generated city.
  • And thy ending, jesus.
    Spoiler:
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!