GOTY 2013 - Last is First
  • Of course it's limited in appeal if one fundamentally loathes spot-the-difference puzzles under any circumstances.

Engrossing and fun and engaging are interchangeable terms for me.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Of course it's limited in appeal if one fundamentally loathes spot-the-difference puzzles under any circumstances.

I love shit like that, I spent many an hour on those find clues on what're technically screenshots murder mysteries. This though, mate.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Engrossing and fun and engaging are interchangeable terms for me.

I dunno... I find Michael Moore films engrossing, but never fun... Not primarily so, anyway.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I've been resisting a kind of association of the word with shallow shitsngiggles for a while, it's a personal bugbear.
  • Provisionally:

1) Last of Us
    2) Tearaway
    3) Remember Me
    4) Rayman Legends (vita version for tilt + touchscreen goodness)
    5) Muramasa Demon's Blade

Not far into Sonic Transformed Racing & think I'm getting GT6 as an Xmas present so might have to update in January.
  • Haven't played many big releases this year, just Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, and The Last of Us.  Loved TLoU, my GoTY and one of my faves of this gen.  I also thoroughly enjoyed TR, enough to play through it three times in quick succession anyhoo, and that kinda thing doesn't happen much for me anymore.  Thought Bioshock was interesting in places but surprisingly empty for long periods of time and I hated the overly gimmicky arena combat.  Traded it in quick sharp. 

Played more indies as usual, with Legend of Dungeon, Hammerwatch, Rogue Legacy, Broforce, and One Finger Death Punch all making good impressions, although I haven't spent as much time as I'd have liked with any of them.  Not enough to stick them in a GoTY list anyway. 

Won't get round to Zelda or Fire Emblem 'til the new year now, so there's no chance of a top five from me just yet.  TLoU in first and TR second, and that's it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The Room 2 has only just come out. I have high hopes for that.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Papers has improved somewhat now I have the hang of it.
  • Here's mine, in no particular order -

Ni No Kuni —
    Ghibli art direction combined with a Square-Enix PS1 era-esque RPG. Fantastic voice work too, I loved it.

The Last Of Us —
    I usually hate horror games but I convinced myself the story and plot would be too good to miss - I was right.

GTA5 —
    I really was non plussed by the prospect of this but the sheer realisation of the world and it's characters won me over. I literally spent 20 minutes walking, not running, to a mission and it felt like a real walk through a suburb.

• Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    danclarke wrote:
    Here's mine, in no particular order - Ni No Kuni — Ghibli art direction combined with a Square-Enix PS1 era-esque RPG. Fantastic voice work too, I loved it. The Last Of Us — I usually hate horror games but I convinced myself the story and plot would be too good to miss - I was right. GTA5 — I really was non plussed by the prospect of this but the sheer realisation of the world and it's characters won me over. I literally spent 20 minutes walking, not running, to a mission and it felt like a real walk through a suburb.

Mines the same with ......

Resogun.  Such an addictive little beast.

War thunder. So pretty, so playable. 

Taking the remaining spots.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Mario world 3d
    Bishops infinite
    Spelunky
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    The Room 2 has only just come out. I have high hopes for that.

So glad for this.

Been a mixed bag so far. My highest hopes were for Bioshock Infinite, and while I loved the beauty of it, it wasn't as good as the prequels and I didn't care for the ending. So could have been, but won't be.

For me, the 3DS has been my console of choice this year, with three great games on it

Animal Crossing
    Fire Emblem
    A Link Between Worlds

In addition, The Room, for it's great atmosphere, though it was short I still loved it. If I was to go top 3 it would have to be

1. Fire Emblem
    2. The Room
    3. A Link Between Worlds

Special mention to GTA V - the pre-build hype in the thread was more fun than the game, though it is the only GTA to grab my attention for more than a couple hours, so guess I'd add this number 4.
  • Fire Emblem and A Link Between Worlds
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Boris, The Room was 2012, unless you mean the sequel.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I'm not getting the War Thunder love. It should be exactly what I'd like, but I'm not enjoying either control scheme. I've actually deleted it, but may go back.

I should say something about GTAV, too. In my last post in this thread I said I wouldn't vote for it. It probably still won't feature in my top 5, but that's no longer because I refuse to consider it. It was very good. Heck, I dunno, it might make it. I'll have to give it some thought.

I'd like to spend more time with my PS4 before I commit. KZ:SF is a strong contender, as are Resogun, NfS Rivals and FIFA14.

I got Tomb Raider back from my mate the other week, but getting the PS4 two days later rather put the kibosh on progressing it, which is a pity.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Boris, The Room was 2012, unless you mean the sequel.

I thought it was, but I only played it this year :-)

That being the case I'll bump ALBW to 2 and GTA V to 3
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Fire Emblem and A Link Between Worlds

Fire Emblem's had quite a few shouts...

A bit random this, but for anyone who's not crazy enough to spend £250 on Super Mario 3D World, and live in West London, Nintendo have gone HAM, and set up a (sizeble) demo both in Westfield shopping center.

Stood there and watched it for a bit, and almost ran to HMV...
    Multiplayer looks insanely good, and the graphics look incredible.

One of the best looking games I've seen this year.
    Better than anything I've seen on the XBone or the PS4 so far.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • indigo wrote:
    5) Muramasa Demon's Blade

Has this been re-released?  Or is that a sequel?  I did a bit of Googling to find a 3DS version/E Shop update...hasn't the Wii game been out for around four years?  I'm not being pedantic about games that qualify and games that don't, I'd just be interested in a version where you don't press up to jump is all. I wanted to like it but failed.
  • Muramasa is the PSVita version/remake of the old Wii game.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yup same as Wii, looks amazing on Vita. There's meant to be a beefy expansion (dlc) for it on the way too.
  • Did they map jump to an actual button on the Vita? Not that it really matters, as I don't own one.
  • Yes, X. Was it waggle on the Wii? I'd imagine that got annoying...gliding too.
  • I've only ever played plants vs zombies 2 on the list.
    So, the winner is obviously.....The last of us.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • FIFA 14 (PS4) for me.  Some of you will LOL but it's immense, I am addicted - THE best footy game I've yet to experience.

GTA V a close 2nd.

TLOU 3rd.
  • 1 to 5 Last of Us.

GTA V was generally a disappointment to me.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Plan XIII wrote:
    FIFA 14 (PS4) for me.  Some of you will LOL but it's immense, I am addicted - THE best footy game I've yet to experience. GTA V a close 2nd. TLOU 3rd.

So you haven't played it yet?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Back to GTA V, I really enjoyed it. The niggle is though the 'humor' only hits around 50% of the time. It's a real mixed bag between satire that hits the nail on the head and embarrassing sexual jibes. Some of the TV programmes this time round are awful, it's like its been written by a 14 year old that has just discovered lesbians and it really lets it down because it's unbearably puerile.

I don't remember 'IV being quite as rotten
  • (1) Bioshock Infinite - Haven't really played much else and the world is kinda interesting. Mechanics are decent enough now I've got a few vigors on the go. Warfare is better than Bioshock, even if the world isn't as interesting.

(2) Thomas Was Alone - This was just so very pleasant.

Don't really get to play much anymore.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!