GOTY 2013 - Last is First
  • indigo wrote:
    Yes, X. Was it waggle on the Wii? I'd imagine that got annoying...gliding too.

You could play it with the classic pad, but none of the control variations used a button to jump.  iirc you had to press up, Amiga style.
  • Had a look at my stats today and I have put near enough 3 days into GTAO, that is since the beginning of November.

For me that is an insane amount of time, still so much to unlock, so much to be added by R* (for free I will add).
  • Pretty quiet year for me but with a couple standouts. No takebacks.

1. GTA 5
    Still plagued by some of the worst writing in an industry filled with it, it is still the most gargantuan achievement on so many levels. On one hand an excellent sandbox to mess around with, on the other, a campaign with some of the best missions they've ever put together (and some pretty dull ones) Online took it over the top, even though it is woefully limited and becoming sleazier economy wise by the day, it made for some amazingly fun experiences. Like the past few games in the series it jumps between game of the year and most annoying game of the year constantly, but made more of an impact than anything else I played in 2013.

2. Rayman Legends
    Happy happy, joy joy. Gorgeous, challenging, varied, social. Excellent soundtrack.

3. Fire Emblem: Awakening
    I rebought the 3ds for this game. As much as I'd rather play it on a telly, I think they did a decent job with it, even if the difficulty was a bit wonky. Still love playing classic mode, Lon'qu I hardly knew ya, RIP.

I played a lot of other stuff like Pokemon, Revengeance and Bioshock which I enjoyed but not really enough to put down here. Still haven't got to try The Last of Us or Mario 3d world which could very well be here otherwise.
    XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP
  • If you've only played 5 games all year, for example, wouldn't that 5 automatically form your top 5 list, regardless of quality/enjoyment?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    If you've only played 5 games all year, for example, wouldn't that 5 automatically form your top 5 list, regardless of quality/enjoyment?

Not if BioShock Infinite is one of them. I'm still offended by how cowardly it was.

• hylian_elf wrote:
    If you've only played 5 games all year, for example, wouldn't that 5 automatically form your top 5 list, regardless of quality/enjoyment?
    I don't think it should.
  • Fair enough. Does make sense. Otherwise if people have only played a handful of games and CoD and FIFA are among them, they would creep in!!!

@DJR: that bad, huh? I'm sure you've mentioned before what you didn't like about it. I rather enjoyed it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • So, on the off chance I dont get to post again before holidays end, I'll put my current placeholder votes down.

The one theme this year for me was so many games I didnt get to play a decent amount of, mainly due to a few major time-sinks.

1. Fire Emblem Awakening. Scratched an itch I never knew existed. Went through once on normal/classic, and am about 70% through on hard/classic. Game clock at the moment is combined over 170 hours. It also helps the story is somewhat clever, albeit cliched, but it caught me off-guard and the sentimentality of it reminded me of Chrono Trigger somewhat. The sheer satisfaction of seeing one unit successfully hold off the tide of an enemy onslaught and turning a mission single-handedly was worth the price alone.

2. The Wonderful 101. And I hated the game at first. So much content, so many deaths and so much absurdity. Wonder Red's verbosity and the end-game crescendo (really packing in more climaxes than most AAA games of last gen combined) are unmatched in my experience. The game is hard, it took me a few weeks to get to grips with the mechanics, but when it did click the game became a joy to play even despite ongoing difficulty spikes.
    Best bits: buying a credit card from mixing fruits and putting it in the Commander's name when you buy something expensive. Also, pause the game and it asks you if it is Mission 1 or Mission 2.

3. Pikmin 3. Just a wonderfully organic environment to explore, and the greatest villain in the history of Nintendo games - Louie.

4. Super Mario 3D World. Time will probably push this higher up the list, but I'm not able to plough through more of the game for a few weeks by which time my skills will be rusty. The levels are still bite sized, and the timer is a bit of a pain, but there are a lot of great ideas and moments within the game that nothing else does. Music is catchy too, and nothing beats running around a level with 5 Toads armed with fire flowers.

5. Lego city undercover. I know it has shit loading, but Frank Honey's endearing stupidity plus the ability to ride a trex in an astronaut suit made this my favourite sandbox game this year.

Deus ex relegated due to ineligibility.

Games I still need to get stuck into: Bravely Default, Link Between Worlds, Animal Crossing New Leaf.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Can't really remember what I've played this year... GTA 5 was pretty fab, and I really really enjoyed Civ 5 (latest expansion), although I've still to finish a playthrough, I think I left my Moroccan civ in the 1940s, I'll come back to it at some point.
  • Scanning through here and seeing a lack of Bioshock Infinite confirms my suspicions that the game will not age well.
  • It already plays like its a decade old.
  • I just think it played the same trick as the first game - put it this way, I don't have any desire to play another game under that name.
  • It was the biggest gaming disappointment of the year.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    It was the biggest gaming disappointment of the year.

It really was.

3 times I tried to get my teeth into it & 3 times I failed.  Liz aside, it was wank.

Edit:  Good list Vela, very Ninty but the rules will not allow you number 5 which is a shame as MH3U would defiantly take a spot in mine.
  • What was so shit about it then?  I still haven't tried it.
  • I played it for 90 minutes and gave up.  There are better games to play and better films to watch.  Plenty of nice touches but my free time is too precious to waste 14 hours on something I'm not overly keen on.
  • BUT WHY IS IT SO SHIT?!  Everyone loved Bioshock 1!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I didn't. I played the demo, shrugged, went 'meh' and deleted it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I didn't hate it, just got very repetitive. The looks and desire to see where the story went got me to the end, but the end! Not great.

I've downloaded burial at sea and played a bit of it, it's nice to see Rapture looking good, but not expecting much from the story this time.

I think the disappointment comes from the pre launch hype. I was hoping for levels moving around, more use of height, spatial challenges like a good Zelda game, but everything was on rails, sometimes literally.
  • Whilst I enjoyed Bioshock 1, I didn't get the hype and didn't feel the need to play the sequel.
  • Plan XIII wrote:
    BUT WHY IS IT SO SHIT?

For me, it was far to generic, open & more loose than a COD game.

I gotta a lot love for Bio 1 & 2 & 2's Den DLC.  I got EVERY plas/gun & used each to suit a very wide array of encounters.  With Infinite I reckon I could clock it with the machine gun & crow ting & not bust a sweat.  Perhaps also, the more open world of Columbia played its part in its fall from franchise grace in my eyes.
  • Cheers.  Shame that, looked very good in the videos I watched.
  • Its a peach to view & behold & Liz is a great NPC, game plays like stale dog breath tho imo.
  • Sounds like a perfect game to pick up cheap and play through with cheats on.

If anyone's interested, I got bored before the end of Bioshock 1, so never finished it or bothered with the second.
  • I just thought it was very dull and repetitive game play wise. Old school mechanics that felt like an early noughties shooter and overly long, joyless fights. The story it told was well imagined nonsense and it looks very nice. I would have given up on it if I wasn't so interested to see where it was going.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    And it went nowhere
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Infinite does that thing Rockstar did with Red Dead Redemption. Create a beautiful world and then fill it full of boring, shite, repetitive gameplay and tasks. I enjoyed Infinite, despite towards to the end thinking 'hurry up ffs', and as for the actual ending, its sublime imo.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Eh?! Sublime did you take the blue pill?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Probably mate!!
  • I played a couple of sessions but haven't gone back to it. It's a shame because the setting is rather lovely and the two main characters work really well together. But yeah the gameplay is just dull, and I seem to spend more time than anything searching the scenery for money and health items. I got a bit bored of that in Dishonoured as well, but at least there was some meaningful stuff to find there.

Maybe one day I'll just try and race through to see what happens.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!