GOTY 2013 - Last is First
  • I didn't have a problem with the narrative, they should've been brave enough to do something different with the mechanics, constantly fucking shooting stuff felt so anti-climactic. The developers see themselves as visionaries and can't come up with anything better than that?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    This is where getting Nintendo game designers to come in and help western developers would create some amazing games.
  • cindemon wrote:

Edit:  Good list Vela, very Ninty but the rules will not allow you number 5 which is a shame as MH3U would defiantly take a spot in mine.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have a rethink.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Rethought! Lego city undercover!
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • In the first hour before the game actually started I loved Bioshock but by the end I felt quite indifferent.
    XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP
  • I really enjoyed 'Infinite. I know what you guys were saying about the corridor shooting gallery bits but there was some brilliant open set pieces. Such as the one where you're whizzing about on rails attempting to destroy some turrets when there's an army of mentalists after you.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The Handyman fights were fucking dreadful. And the guitar session moment was fairly cringey. But Infinite was ok I guess. Quartet should have had multiple appearences.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I won't vote because for me Battlefield 4 when working well and you're playing with buddies is absolutely awesome and easily my GotY. The trouble is these times are few and far between but, ultimately, unforgettable so voting for something else would be like voting against this game.
  • Just realised I've got a new #1 as the Android version I played was released this year: Little Inferno.

I found the game to be an excellent length (around four to five hours) and works well both for really quick bursts or longer sessions. It's fun just seeing how the items react to each other and simply burning piles of stuff is far more entertaining than it has any right to be. Might be something to do with the quality of the visuals, which was exceptional. The aesthetic really worked with the humour of it, the quality of the art was great and the tech was used to great effect, giving a 2D look but with 3D quality lighting. The ending was a real pleasant surprise, too, particularly it's length and quality.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So is someone actually tallying this all up then? One week to go...

I also decided that the 'just completed' thread should
    A - be mandatory for all games for all forumites, including a [score]
    B - Petey should script it to give per game links to reviews/scores, plus per year running lists of goty automatically. Can't be too hard right :-)
  • I think someone volunteered. I've still got a couple of contenders to play before finalising my list.
  • @ace
    but I bever complete anything :(
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's a bit like prisoners not getting the vote. But fairer.
  • Gonna make multiple accounts and give tlou [1] and gtav [10]
  • I'm still doing it. I need people to title their post FINAL FINAL LIST or some such and I'll count it. Might already have had a couple of final lists, I'll comb the last 2-3 pages.

Closing for final lists in mid-Jan. 

My list is currently looking something like:

Last of Us
    Mario 3DW
    Revengeance
    Bioshock Infinite
    Tomb Raider

Before mid-Jan, I plan on completing Zelda, Rayman, Tearaway and ACIV, so the above will probably change drastically. Wish me luck.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    So is someone actually tallying this all up then? One week to go... I also decided that the 'just completed' thread should A - be mandatory for all games for all forumites, including a [score] B - Petey should script it to give per game links to reviews/scores, plus per year running lists of goty automatically. Can't be too hard right :-)

&

TheDJR wrote:
    I think someone volunteered.

Aye Petey... Looks like you'll be receiving a pull/fork request soon dude! ^_^
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Saying that though, Can't we have a link to a poll of some sort instead? That would be fairly easy to do...

https://www.easypolls.net/

Or something... Like the one that Beano made for the next gen consoles.

Just make a list of the top ten (I'm sure we can trust Elf to compile a 'ballpark' top 10), and then have the clicks decide the top three.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I know there have always been arguments against having polls on here on the grounds that they stifle debate, but there are times when they could come in useful for things like this and trying to arrange meet ups. I think it would be worth instating them, perhaps with the proviso that every poll comes with an option hardcoded onto the end saying something along the lines of 'this poll is retarded and you are retarded for posting it' to allow us to weed out the unnecessary ones.
  • But could that mean someone having to pick a game just because it's on the list and their actual favourites aren't on there? It'll then be a fake GOTY list. Or that person just doesn't take part etc etc. you see, every time Edge did a list, it wasn't an online poll! You submit whatever game you want within a set of rules/guidelines. (See OP for rules/guidelines.)
  • Every poll should be preceded by a poll about whether it's necessary.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    If we are to introduce polls, then there should be some form of tax paid by the people that use them which goes towards the funding of this place. Can't think of a snappy name for it though.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    But could that mean someone having to pick a game just because it's on the list and their actual favourites aren't on there? It'll then be a fake GOTY list. Or that person just doesn't take part etc etc. you see, every time Edge did a list, it wasn't an online poll! You submit whatever game you want within a set of rules/guidelines. (See OP for rules/guidelines.)

There's no reason that we couldn't simply skim through this thread and add every game that's been mentioned.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    But could that mean someone having to pick a game just because it's on the list and their actual favourites aren't on there? It'll then be a fake GOTY list. Or that person just doesn't take part etc etc. you see, every time Edge did a list, it wasn't an online poll! You submit whatever game you want within a set of rules/guidelines. (See OP for rules/guidelines.)

Yeah... But our top game's always decided by aggregate anyway.

Even when it's wrong...

Like the TWD. :P
  • @Yoss. I could give that a go. Already have a list in OP that has most of the games mentioned so far. Would need someone to mention as and when a game not on the list needs adding.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    So, umm...

Dat poll...
  • What are you talking about now?! What about a poll?!
  • Feel we need some form of tumbola to draw the winning poll from, some form of bucket or container.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!