Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
  • You have to complete it before that option unlocks.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • You can play any level you want, there's a select level option I think

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-12-you-can-play-the-last-level-of-call-of-dutys-next-campaign-first
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Is that not a thing then? If so, that takes me from interested to wholly uninterested.
  • Are you not on about the re-mixed campaign option that unlocks after your first play through?
  • Nope, the man from Treyarch say:
    Treyarch is doing things a little differently for Call of Duty: Black Ops 3: all campaign missions are unlocked from the start.

That EG article was the one that brought it to my attention a few weeks back
  • I thought you meant within each level is very open to complete in a variety of ways.

No idea if all levels are accessible from the start. I just clicked 'new game'.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Back in your box then, useless
  • They are. It'll ask if you want to unlock them as you select one. Simples.

Though just out of curiosity why would you want to?
  • Because it sounds interesting.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Because it sounds interesting.

Playing levels out of sync sounds interesting? I'm not being facetious,they're just usually built so you understabd different 'complexities' of the game for each level. You start on the fourth level for example you're gonna struggle choosing your loadout and abilities and probably just get annoyed.
  • But they put it in there, as a way for it to be played. If they've given me the choice to play it any order, but they don't support it, then that's their foul not mine. If Level 4 is predicated on techniques learned in Level 1-3, then they shouldn't let you play it in whatever order you chose.

Plus, in the end, it's Call of Duty, I can't imagine there is much complexity beyond "kill everyone and experience the set piece" unless they've evolved drastically since Modern Warfare.
  • I doubt it is any good, but it isn't like the concept of experiencing narratives non-linearly, via audience agency doesn't exist. Chris Ware's Building Stories is basically a big jumble bag of interlinking things to experience in whatever order you wish. I doubt CoD is even vaguely close to being as sophisticated or intricate, but perhaps it succeeds on the premise it suggests in some way.
  • I saw that you can play as Blum in the zombie mode, instant GOTY?
  • Oh, that's another reason to get it
  • Credits rolling. Worst game I've ever played.
  • You do whatever you like, play the levels in whichever order you wish. However you won't build up the XP necessary to build your armoury in terms of the cores that grant you abilities which give combat scenarios different approaches.

Yes it's a shooting gallery, but it's the best shooting gallery every year. And each iteration now is accompanied by more technical approaches both to combat and gameplay, so whilst I'm sure you'll get through, it won't nearly be as fun or diverse.

three1ne wrote:
    Credits rolling. Worst game I've ever played.

That's a shame dude, really enjoying the SP, but I do every year as just a slightly more complex shooting gallery. Try the Zombie campaign and see if that turns it around for you.
  • The issue there is that if by playing it in a different order, it will be less fun and diverse, and i'll not get the abilities I need to experience the game to its fullest or whatever, then they shouldn't be giving the option to play it in whatever order a person feels like.

I mean you're essentially telling me the devs are wrong in their approach at the minute.
  • I'll keep it installed for zombies at a later date. I've always enjoyed CoD even with each more disappointing title than the one before it but this completely killed it for me. The dull cutscenes and completely unengaging story and script were laughable. Not in a good way. There were zero memorable moments. Oh fuck it I'm getting angry thinking about it.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I mean you're essentially telling me the devs are wrong in their approach at the minute.

Yeah, the devs havent a clue so it's not surprising.
  • I'd heard it was OK, and I've not played more than an hour or two of any of the series since Modern Warfare, so it's a shame that it appears as though the "play how you like" thing is basically just lazy nonsense.
  • I presumed their reasoning was more along the lines of Johnny Fuckbeans is stuck at the end of level two, why don't we just let him be able to skip on to level three. That way he's more likely to be a repeat customer despite being utterly hopeless.
  • I wish I lived in the better world I frequently imagine, rather than the shitpiss one that is actually here. What is it that Philip K. Dick said? something like Reality is a nightmare which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
  • Johnny Fuckbeans has made my day.
  • The single player is becoming the third priority now in the Black Ops titles. When you get Jeff Goldblum for zombies mode and not the single player, that is a big statement of where the focus is.

Out of curiosity, Three1ne, were you playing single player on your own? Having only played the first two levels, it strikes me as being heavily focused on the four player co op. I stopped the single player and will wait to play in co op. Just need to find the time.

Multiplayer is great in the meantime.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Three1ne, were you playing single player on your own?

Yeah. I have no friends.
  • three1ne wrote:
    Credits rolling. Worst game I've ever played.

I played Advanced Warfare for the first (and last) time a few weeks back. I completed the single player campaign in two sittings.

It was awful. There's a reason I have ignored the COD/MW games for years and that's because they are gash.
  • Last one I bought was Ghosts (and that was the first I'd played in years). What a steaming pile of turd that was.
  • I'd love another first Modern Warfare now. By another developer.
  • Yeah the series desperately needs a rethink.

But it probably still sells shit loads of copies (does it?) and whilst that is the case, the money men won't give two shites about the older heads who miss the good ol days.

I adored the COD games back in the day, I also really loved the early MW titles.

It's bad, bad turd now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!