Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Genesis Noir. Whoever described this as being more of a toy than a game was being generous, there’s one sequence that could reasonably be described as a toy, but for the most part, this is more of a vaguely interactive movie. The fact that there’s hardly any gameplay is a bit of a bonus on Xbox to help cover up the fact that the controls are terrible. The overarching story didn’t really quite hold up for me, felt like the science went out the window near the end, alongside a weird, massive tonal shift which didn’t really work for me. Having said all of that, there was some interesting stuff in there (first I’d heard of the Penrose process, and a short section of sim-particle physicist was quite cool) and it was all being presented with some style. I can’t really give this game more than a [6], but if you like the style and are keen on physics, it may well be worth checking out.

I did prefer controlling it with the mouse, on PC. And I ascribe the tonal shift to the deep love for Osamu Tezuka that runs through it all, especially the Phoenix books.

m0399_01.jpg

Remind you of anything?
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It does, just nothing from the first 90% of the game.
  • So I finally finished Astrobot Rescue Mission. I've owned it for years but never got round to getting through it. Well, what an utterly joyous time it turned out to be. It never lets up. The last few levels were just magnificent. The bosses are some of the best I've l seen in any game I've ever played. I struggle to see how other VR devs can't take onboard what the team did here with this game and put it to use. The integration with the Dual Shock 4 is stunning - almost unbelievable at times. Throwing shurikens to chop bamboo, blasting things with water and the torch level in the graveyard in particular was just mind blowing. It doesn't over use anything, and there's not a single level that isn't brilliant fun. I'm not sure, but the whole package seems to run better on PS5 too. The two Astrobot games alone are sublime masterpieces. Really impressive.

What an absolutely riotous VR experience.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    The Witness.  Thought I'd get bored of the puzzles, but the well balanced difficulty and wide variety of puzzle types keep it engaging.
    The gorgeous environments, plus hidden statues, audio clips, and puzzles, keep exploration enjoyable.
    The game disappears up it's own arse sometimes, especially with the video clips (ain't no one gonna trick me into watching more Tarkovsky), but they're optional, and I kinda like the vaguely spiritual vibe.
    8/10

Used a walkthrough 3 times. One the solution turned out to be blindingly obvious. Another I didn't understand even after seeing it.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    It does, just nothing from the first 90% of the game.

My larger point being that the sudden burst of cosmic energy is logical to Tezuka in regards to the Phoenix books (which span all of creation and man's transcendence), and that Genesis Noir follows suit.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They should have provided the reading list before I started the game.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    No worries, I'm here to do that for you.

Beckett (PC)

While not the latest Just completed, it is the one that still lingers, the complex taste that remains in my mouth. Repulsive yet exciting, a taste of civilization itself. 

The game is a game of words, of sights, of sounds. An audiovisual performance with a real sense of style, though the prose’s fondness for simple dramatic effectiveness somewhat undermines its full potential. It’s not Beckett, in other words; it could be a character of Beckett’s, stuck in the shittiest of shitholes, without any hope of a future, of free will - seemingly being stirred on by circumstances out of his own control, since you do need to fulfill some kind of purpose. 

But yeah, it makes an impression, it stays with you, and not many games I can think of have really tread these dire human grounds before.
  • Observation (Xbox One X Game Pass)

Brilliant concept, adequately executed. Really intriguing story told in a novel way. Loads of little hidden ways of telling the story. The puzzles were... fine. Ocassionally irritating trying to work out where to go or what to do but just used YouTube and was well worth it. This will stay with me for a while, will be thinking about ways to interpret the story for a while.

edit: Beckett looks very interesting, will add that to the list
  • I think I would've preferred to watch it rather than play it but it was worth experiencing.
  • Silke wrote:
    No worries, I'm here to do that for you.

Beckett (PC)

While not the latest Just completed, it is the one that still lingers, the complex taste that remains in my mouth. Repulsive yet exciting, a taste of civilization itself. 

The game is a game of words, of sights, of sounds. An audiovisual performance with a real sense of style, though the prose’s fondness for simple dramatic effectiveness somewhat undermines its full potential. It’s not Beckett, in other words; it could be a character of Beckett’s, stuck in the shittiest of shitholes, without any hope of a future, of free will - seemingly being stirred on by circumstances out of his own control, since you do need to fulfill some kind of purpose. 

But yeah, it makes an impression, it stays with you, and not many games I can think of have really tread these dire human grounds before.

Heh, I worked on that game. Did QA work and some script editing.
  • The Medium
    It’s rare I come across a game so under seasoned and yet so over done. 

It’s a bit of a mess really and the devs leaning hard into the tiny team-personal project shtick with their message at the end doesn’t sit particularly - especially as, afaik, it’s a pretty disingenuous plea.  Nice woodland though.
  • Plot is totally garbage as well, offensively stupid in places.
  • I thought it that badly written that i just fast forwarded the final few cut scenes - i just had no care for any outcome.
  • Djornson wrote:
    Observation

Yep, still thinking about it.
    Spoiler:
  • Ori and the Blind Forest. More like Ori and the arbitrary death spikes. Proper love-hate relationship with this one, some sublime sections, great movement, lovely artwork etc. But some of the design decisions were incredibly frustrating. I realise that those escape sections were essentially boss fights, so memorising the layout is similar to memorising a set of boss loves. But it didn’t really reward skill, it just punished you for not knowing what was coming next. The quality of the visuals was a massive hindrance at times, with parts not always clear and some foreground stuff getting in the way of being able to see what you’re doing. I wanted to like this more, but I’ve never rage-quit a game so much. Not even the Path of Pain on HK. [7 but should’ve been a 9]
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The sequel will likely earn that [9].
  • Installing now.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Second one is much better, the especially the combat
  • Combat is defo better. The rest not so much. It's still infuriating in places and the particle effects and scenery are noisy and obscure the action. It's an okay game made worse by an over abundance of spike traps that really don't need to be there and just interrupt your flow and piss you off.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The escape sections are gone, which was one of the biggest complaints that he had.

Beyond that, I really didn’t find myself dying that often, due to spike traps, particle effects, scenery or anything else.
  • You must have leet skills or I just don't believe you. There are what amounts to an escape section before each boss in the sequel, which didn't cause me many problems but I know lots of people struggled with them. Also, if you happen to reach certain bosses before you've unlocked certain abilities they can be unbelievably frustrating. And there are spikes everywhere for no real reason. The sand area in particular when you're trying to get up high can be fucking horrible of you fall and you can't see the spikes coming. Horrid.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    To be honest I didn’t struggle that much with the escape sections in the original either, I didn’t find either game particularly tough, but the sequel was easier.
  • There are way too many spikes. The escape sections aren’t hard but they are a few minutes of trial and error that I didn’t much like. And I would have definitely preferred being kept away from some bosses (and areas) until I was ready. It’s still a [9].
  • I'm sure I remember two or three escape sections in the sequel.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Googling it, maybe there were a couple. I don’t think they were anything like the ones in the original, though.
  • There are definitely escape sections in the sequel. Every boss has one. Or most of them anyway.
  • None are as good as the first one in Blind Forest though.
  • Code Vein PS4

I'd finished Bloodborne, didn't like DS3, but wanted to play another Soulslike and this was in the sale.
    I also enjoyed the God Eater games, and there was a real novelty to playing an anime style soulslike. The NPCs were fun and it was nice to have a story rather than lore.

The blood code system was good - my first playthrough was heavy melee build but I've the option for build respecs that I'll do on NG+, especially as I've got materials to upgrade other weapons. On the other hand, if you want you can respec as often as you like.

The levelling system does unbalance the difficulty, though, as it's ridiculously easy to over level. Coupled with the AI helper, I rarely died to anything other than a boss, and probably only lost my accumulated haze (souls) less than a dozen times, meaning I had masses of currency.

Despite this, the game was still fun, the level design was interesting for the most part, though some levels suffered from a lack of variety in scenery, but I personally liked the comic book post-apocalyptic aesthtic. The level that ripped off Anor Londo wasn't fun, though.

The other grumble is that the combat lacks weight with very floaty weapons after the visceral loveliness of Bloodborne.

Overall though, if you want a soulslike that isn't overly challenging but still fun and that great for players who can't make up their mind about what build the want to run (and also want to build a hot anime main character), this is a solid game that I found really playable with a lot of charm.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Pokémon Sword: A year and a half later, I finally bothered to finish this. What happened with this? It feels like Bowser's Fury if Bowser's Fury had obviously started development as a 3DS game but had been released as full price standalone Switch game. Yet it reviewed fairly well and sold gangbusters. It looks bad and feels unfinished - something must surely have gone wrong during development. The worst mainline Pokémon games yet, IMO.

Hopefully the BOTW-alike Arceus game provides them with a route forward for Generation IX that doesn't lean so much on the 3DS design heritage and the series manages to right itself.

I'm not buying the expansion pass or the crap-looking Diamond and Pearl remakes - Game Freak can bloody well earn my money moving forward.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Finished Bioshock Infinite last night - really, really liked it. Gameplay wise it was getting a little bit samey towards the end but the story, setting and action was compelling throughout.

What a trilogy of games.
    Gamertag: gremill

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!