Google and Apple consoles............Hooray!
  • People like us certainly won't. I'd guess Amazon will do a great job of marketing it as a TV box though, then sell a lot of casual games after it's in homes.
  • Yeah I suppose - can you play games with the bundled remote?
  • Can you play against the annoying bird off the advert who's addicted to candy crush?

That controller looks terrible.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It makes the OUYA pad look not bad
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It's a good idea actually. One of the things Apple TV owners have been clamouring for is apps and a controller for games.

Amazon have spotted a gap of kids growing up on tablets then wanting versions of those apps on the TV. As long as they support it with their apps/movies/games etc I don't see how they can lose, much like the Kindle. Sell it at a loss to get the customer for life.
  • I quite like the look of the controller.

Any mention of a price for the box yet?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    $99 on amazon.com extra $40 for the controller.
  • Controller looks fine to me. Flat on it looks shit but at an angle looks to be standard stuff really.
  • Do Amazon's prices transfer over the pond in the same stupid way other do?
  • hmm... thought Amazon were just doing another android gamestick/box type thing, but it seems they're still on a hiring/headhunting spree:  http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-02-amazon-recruits-clint-hocking-and-kim-swift-as-senior-designers
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    Amazon reveals Fire TV set-top box and controller

w7qYyAy.jpg
    yGuBVYd.jpg

It's not going to set the gaming world on fire, but it has to chip away at the profits of the existing console manufacturers, especially the PS360 tail.

What happened to controller support for Apple anyway?

Ah... Worst kept secret ever!

I have strangely high hopes for this thing though...
    Not quite sure about the branding, but Kindle's done very well, right?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • The readers are quality. The tablets are shite.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Random aside... Generally speaking, why would anyone prefer a iReader to a tablet!!?
  • Battery life and use in full sunlight.

My kindle was amazing on holiday.
  • And it's just far more pleasant to read fake print than a LCD screen for any amount of time.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Yeah. Plus: cheaper, smaller, lighter and longer battery life. I don't understand why anyone would want to read anything of length on a tablet, tbh.
  • Oh yes. It's one of the few "single purpose" gadgets I use, I love it. The paperwhite front light thing is brilliant.

Back to Fire console: it will sell millions, at least in the US. Loads of Amazon Prime subscribers, now can watch all that content (ahem) on big screen TV, plus play some half decent games and use some apps, and it will work as "instantly" as the Apple TV, which is FAR better than any smart TV bollocks.

It's another step towards the TV being dumb screen and a "computer" with friendly interface, instant OS, and baked-in on-demand content (including games) being the thing you replace as often as your tablet (every 2/3 years or so).
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Yeah. Plus: cheaper, smaller, lighter and longer battery life. I don't understand why anyone would want to read anything of length on a tablet, tbh.

I tend to read a fair amount on tablet. Not necessarily books though... I like being able to carry anything from Dickens, to project doc webpages on it. I've tried watching films on it, but just couldn't, though I've watched a bit of Anime on it, but I think that just says more about me than it does the hardware.

But I think, reading wise, it's broken my discipline in someway (not necessarily in a bad way). When I have a 'normal' book in front of me (as I currently do), I tend not to flick between books. Having a library of 50+ odd titles of exotic, niche shit means that it's too easy to cross reference shit... And that's awesome. It's no good for reading fiction though.

Comfort wise though, I agree with everyone's ideas on screen glare.

Funnily enough, I once used a GBA and a RAM cartridge to read Great Expectations (and quite a few other titles), which was a fucking trife' thing to do by any standard, so I'm cool with a scrap of discomfort in this regard.

Weighing up all the benefits though, I wouldn't trade for a Kindle...

But yeah... An Amazon console is quite intriguing, but mostly due to what they're doing with personnel to my mind... I wonder what the hardware specs are?

• They're pretty much released, aren't they?

Some kind of quad-core mobile Qualcomm SoC thing, couple of GB of RAM. So, not as powerful as an iPad Air, but much more powerful than an Apple TV.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Kindle paperwhite is one of the best devices ever designed. Period.
  • yeah what happened to joypads for ipads?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    You can buy loads of variants of gaming pads for all devices...?

The kicker HDMI out to you TV and pad...that was a 'console' marketing option back in the day or suspicion at best.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
  • I think we're better off waiting for the X1 to gain some more streaming features and drop in price.

I still want the Mojo but it can fuck hard off at that price.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Android TV was announced in June as well, which seems to be a far better implementation of what Google tried to do with the failed Google TV (48 button remote!!!). In Matias Duarte we trust.

Though it's a shame the controller is optional, but with a far more controlled design that prevent OEMs from messing about, perhaps this could make videogames on Android big again.

Don't think we'll see Apple TV this Tuesday, though I hope we do, seems like Apple are getting serious about traditional games on iOS and they would fit a small media box far more than an iPhone or iPad. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GZaQ--Xti-k

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!