Google and Apple consoles............Hooray!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    It (the Apple version) will never happen. But if it does feel free to come and tell me I was wrong.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I know nothing about any of this but I would buy an Apple one if it is anything like my current Apple TV, I  could do with another one downstairs but one that lets me play games without using my iPhone or iPad would make me get one sooner rather than later.
  • Mod says you're wrong. No one wants an an all-in-one box under their tv apparently.

Someone should tell Microsoft because they've bet the farm on this.
  • I could see Google doing their own set top box, maybe with the option of a game pad. I'd have thought though that their preferred option was to have set top box manufacturers include Android. I think Apple will want to do more than Apple TV with a game pad, although it looks like that's possible now.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Mod says you're wrong. No one wants an an all-in-one box under their tv apparently. Someone should tell Microsoft because they've bet the farm on this.

I didn't say that. I said Apple will never do one.
  • It's not a great solution because of the myriad of content providers and sources, it's inelegant. Microsoft don't seem to mind inelegant.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    Mod says you're wrong. No one wants an an all-in-one box under their tv apparently. Someone should tell Microsoft because they've bet the farm on this.

Never do what? A set top box?

• Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Single point of failure. It's madness.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Gamepad + App Store for current Apple TV = winnar.

Not saying it'll destroy the current console model but it could certainly take a decent bite out of it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don't believe it will be an Apple console, just an enhanced Apple TV which plays games.

You are saved, my child.
  • Yossarian wrote:

That would be good but the App Store bit is not necessarily needed. You can mirror anything from your ipad to Apple TV so the current App Store, accessible from all iOS devices, would suffice for now.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    True, but it could do with an App Store just for improving the ATV itself. An iPlayer app I can control with the Apple remote, plox.
  • IMO, the App Store would be the most important thing.
  • App Store for ATV would be better, agree. However, I think Apple is going to do this one step at a time. This year it's iOS7 and controller support.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Never do what? A set top box?

No, a games console. Like what I thought we were talking about.

6 years after the opening of the App Store their interest in getting that content onto your TV though a dedicated machine amounts to zero. Either they're waiting to realise Jobs' vision, or they realised the closest they could get was what MS have done with the XB1 and don't fancy it/have been beaten to the punch.

Or, more likely, they're on the ropes with declining iOS device market shares, a nose diving stock market value and struggling to produce anything other than an iPhone or iPad with a better processor/screen each year.

It's not even clear who's really in charge, Cook, Ive or the ghostly spectre of Jobs. That doesn't sound anything like a company ready to bust out into the games console business or elevate the current set top box above "hobby" status. Want an example of how unlikely it is? What did the announce at WWDC..a controller protocol. Not a controller. A protocol.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    [Or, more likely, they're on the ropes with declining iOS device market shares, a nose diving stock market value and struggling to produce anything other than an iPhone or iPad with a better processor/screen each year.

Ha.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    That would be good but the App Store bit is not necessarily needed. You can mirror anything from your ipad to Apple TV so the current App Store, accessible from all iOS devices, would suffice for now.
    Not everybody with Apple TV has an iPhone or iPad, granted I only know two people but I can't remember the last time I mirrored anything. I think the last thing I did was Real Racing 2?
  • Sure, but you didn't have controller support, right? If you did then I think more people would happily mirror on the TV and play. Would you be more likely?

As for having an Apple TV without an iOS device, I think that is probably a minority. I could be wrong.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    But at the same time, why wouldn't they have an App Store for the ATV? The infrastructure is all there, all it takes is a bit of coding on the part of Apple and then they have a new revenue stream.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Ruh?

The only new revenue is from people that have/buy a set-top box and don't already own an iDevice. As mentioned, unlikely to be many of those around.
  • I believe they will, eventually. But not stage 1. Also, I think Apple is interested in using Apple TV to drive sales of other hardware, not just iTunes sales. I get the feeling that internally they are thinking the trend is for one device that moves with the owner from one functional space to another. In which case the TV just becomes a big screen for functions that the user wants to do on a big screen (films, 'TV' series, games). The method to connect is Apple TV but its the iOS device that is the focus.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    People who own idevices would still want to buy games and apps for their ATVs.

Edit: @Mod.
  • I should add that I think that Apple are right. It's the universal functional device trend that I think will win out eventually. Even now I find the term 'TV programmes' in iTunes a bit of an anachronism, to give one example.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    People who own idevices would still want to buy games and apps for their ATVs. Edit: @Mod.

If you mean buy to play on their TV, and not for their TVs, then I agree.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    People who own idevices would still want to buy games and apps for their ATVs. Edit: @Mod.

Games and apps they already own on iPhone and iPad.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yep. Many people who owned apps on iPhone bought HD versions for their iPads. As I say, it's easy money for Apple.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    So easy that it wasn't even a worthy challenge so haven't bothered doing it.

Tell me more about this previously unseen aversion to money that Apple have developed.
  • They might sell more games at a higher price if they could get a pad accepted by their users. Their current games must lean towards the bite sized, designed to be played on a battery powered device for short periods. A pad on the sofa device does suit the more cinematic efforts churned out by the big publishers.

Without a lot more TV content, I'm not sure that Apple TV has the sort of really broad appeal that makes the whole thing worthwhile.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    So easy that it wasn't even a worthy challenge so haven't bothered doing it. Tell me more about this previously unseen aversion to money that Apple have developed.

They haven't done it yet.
  • I'm not entirely sure what separates an enhanced Apple TV and the Xbone sufficiently to fully endorse one but be massively antagonistic about another.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!