Retro Gaming
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You know - I've never actually completed Cybernator. I've always been very anal and tried to beat it on 1 credit. I think I got as far as a level with a forest background and it's a straight run and gun section. At least - I think that's how far I got - might have been further.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Was one I'd never got around to playing for years, but we did it in the retro club thread a year or two ago.

Good game.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    They aren't expensive unboxed, Could be tempted.

Geezer wanted NT$35k for it. (About £900/€1000.)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a couple on ebay unboxed for £30-40.

The multitap boxed is mad money too.

The special edition of the game with both boxed must be ludicrously priced.

I have a PAL copy of the game boxed with manual and it's worth quite a bit. It works correctly forced to 60Hz so I've no real desire to get the JP version. The non English menus in that version is another reason to pass on it. The US version may be even more expensive than the PAL version.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Check out this geezer's homebrew portable PCEngine. 

For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Amazing how professional the cases on these projects can be now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Picked up JP version of Baku Baku for Saturn. One of my favourites so will be keeping the PAL version.

3JCSWgd.jpg
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Previously unseen Dreamcast logo found.

ltmejtzo1nx71.png

Wasn't there talk for a while of a DVD drive for the Dreamcast, so it could play movies? That looks like a film reel to me.
  • I've got some pitches in the loft somewhere by a company my mate used to work for that tried to land the UK advertising deal for the Dreamcast. They're crap, but it's an interesting curio.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The PS2's DVD ability was a huge selling point at the time. I remember there was a deal that threw in a DVD player with a Dreamcast. Don't know if that was Sega funded or not though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've got some pitches in the loft somewhere by a company my mate used to work for that tried to land the UK advertising deal for the Dreamcast. They're crap, but it's an interesting curio.

I would say there would be DC fanboys who would lap that up.
  • That’s no way to talk about our Swirl.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I would though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dreamcast Junkyard is a fine website. Hadn't been there in ages. Lots of content to catch up on including a podcast.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This looks a bit tasty....

• Yeah I thought that. Nice to see a hack on something post 16-Bit for once too.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I picked up a PC Engine Mini on Saturday, and it's absolutely fabulous.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's one of the few minis that would make sense for me to pick up given I've only a few Wii VC games for that console. What I've played for PCE were tremendously good.
  • Yeah I got one of those, oddly though it's yet to be hacked despite being very similar to the Mega Drive mini.

I do like my mini consoles, added a select choice of ROMs to the ones I have hacked.

They're a nice convenient way to play, with nice UI's and most importantly, genuine official controllers.

They really do make emulation feel like playing on the real thing for once.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I fancy a NES mini. Still kind of regret getting rid of my old NES console. I had spent many happy hours with it. But the edge connector was knackered , it was shitty old composite and they were PAL games so it wasn't optimal.

Daft prices though.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    What I've played for PCE were tremendously good.

The mini has a stonking range of shmups, if that's your cup of tea.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's a tremendous console. It would have been quite something to have owned in its day.

It's more of an arcade console which has always been more to my tastes. I might just have preferred it to MD and SNES back then.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yeah I got one of those, oddly though it's yet to be hacked despite being very similar to the Mega Drive mini.

Geezer I watched on YouTube suggested it was closest to the PlayStation mini internally. Either way, it doesn't seem to have been given as much attention by the modding community as the other retro re-releases.

I kinda want to get the Mega Drive one, now, but only if I can track down the "Mega CD" and "32X" to use with it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    It's a tremendous console. It would have been quite something to have owned in its day.

Yeah, especially with the CD-ROM2. I can see why it lasted well into the 16-bit era.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The JP MD mini with the Darius and Tetris bonuses caught my eye. But I now have MD Tetris on the PS2 collection by M2 and I have the limited run cartridge of Darius for MD on order.

Would still be nice though - some cracking games on it.
  • that amped up video looks awesome
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • monkey wrote:
    Yeah I’ve found it now. My googling gave me Assault Suit Leynos as the name and I was struggling to find the rom. But that turned out to be the Japanese name. A quick go suggests it’s…not good.
    There's a Remake on PS4 (possibly other systems) that's really good, and also includes the near impossible Mega Drive original.
    Oh wow. That looks great. On PC as well by the look of it. Cheers for the tip.
    Oh dear its £20. One for the sales.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Good luck. It's been on my watch list for years. It dropped to £3.99 once iirc but I bought something else instead.
    Email just told me this is on sale for £3.99 on Steam.
  • Hopefully console prices follow suit.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I got one of those Anbernic retro handhelds that people won't stop talking about, specifically the RG300X one that looks like a big Famicom-themed Game Boy Micro.

1280x720.jpg

Unfortunately I was caught out by how quickly it got here from China so I don't have a micro SD card ready to stick the more challenging stuff on like PSone games but I've had a go with some Mega Drive and SNES games. The IPS screen is extremely nice for something so cheap (I spent £56.23 including delivery), it's clear and vivid and lovely and makes the screens on all Nintendo's pre-Switch consoles look like crap in comparison. Good looking Mega Drive games like Rocket Knight and Sonic 3 & Knuckles look gorgeous, although I'm not convinced the sound emulation on the stock emulator is perfect. The buttons are also quite nice - the d-pad has it's good and bad points for me, it feels very 8-directional so you can ensure clear diagonals but at the expense of being able to smoosh it around in a pseudo-analog way like some d-pads allow. The face buttons are not in a standard diamond arrangement due to trying to emulate the look of the Game Boy Micro and I'm not sure how I feel about it - holding down dash and jumping in Mario feels a bit weirder than usual for example. I'm looking forward to getting the SD card and being able to tinker with it and test out the more taxing systems. Other Anberic systems have a big black border around the screen, which I think probably helps distract from the fact that almost nothing you emulate on this will play without borders unless you do bad shit to the image. In line with the Micro, there's no frame here so the black borders are quite noticeable.

I absolutely bought this for the Game Boy Micro gimmick and am really happy with it. I'm not sure I'd recommend this to someone that wasn't bothered about the Micro look. There are literally tons of these handhelds - many have more powerful chipsets, many also have one or two analog sticks. If you just want the best bang for your buck there is probably something better out there. However, I am happy with my chonky Game Boy Micro - I'll genuinely use it for playing 2D games while I'm out and about and once the next generation of these handhelds comes through I'll get something more powerful for 3D stuff.

It's very impressive what you can get for not a lot these days, it's no wonder that people are going nuts for IPS upgrades in Game Boy consoles and these little IPS handhelds as they look great.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Love that. Keep us updated on further finding please. I'm looking for a nice looking cheap handheld that runs 8-16bit + GBA well, and £56 sounds good to me. Not bothered about more taxing games (until a handheld Saturn emulator arrives).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!