Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Nice. I read the name of the chap who wrote the foreword as "The Urer", and I wondered what an urer was.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I learned is name is pronounced "Toy-er" from the book. The guy is a legend even among the early Atari guys.

I mean...he did Tempest too. Jesus. What a fucking game that is.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I learned is name is pronounced "Toy-er" from the book.

Reminds me of Captain Mainwaring and Hyacinth Bucket.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Looking for some expert CRT TV advice. My daughter is freeing up space at home and giving me back my NTSC GameCube. I’m looking for a TV and have seen a few of these on eBay Sony Trinitron KV-21X5U 21" at reasonable prices.

Does anyone know if it will be fine with an NTSC signal? I don’t recall ever having an issues before on my Toshiba Quadryl (I loved that set), the only thing I recall having to buy was a step down converter.
  • GameCube works quite nice with RGB scart on euro CRT's especially Sony. If you don't have an old CRT, component/hdmi cables are a slightly more practical solution with modern telly's.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Is it a JP-Gamecube?  JP Gamecubes don't have RGB out. S-Video, component or composite only. Don't know about US-GCs though. There are more affordable HDMI cables for GCs now but again - you would need to check if the model of GC will work with it.

You have a pretty good chance of a Sony CRT working with NTSC sources but nothing is guaranteed. Might be worth asking the seller is there is a SCART socket on the back and ask if there is any indication of it supporting RGB (there is often an RGB indicator on the casing beside the socket).
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cheers guys. It’s a Japanese GameCube with the US switch conversion on the back.
  • Yep as davy suggests NTSC consoles don't support RGB so you either go scart composite, S-video or alternatively get a crt that supports component and buy this from aliexpress:

£46.07 29%OFF | 1.8m Full Audio Component Cable for NGC GameCube Game Consoles Display the Cleanest Image Possible NGC Component Cable
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtlpOsi

The NTSC GC consoles both support progressive scan 480p through component which will give you the best picture.

Most late CRTs support 60hz so you should be fine.

Edit: One thing to check is whether you're using NTSC games though as I don't believe many PAL games support progressive scan.

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Another option is you ditch the CRT all together and go with this:

£33.49 9%OFF | For Nintendo Gamecube Mini HDMI-compatible Adapter W/ 5FT HDMI-compatible Cable For NGC
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_msUqKWq

This is what I have. It uses the progressive scan signal to line double via hdmi on your hd tv and is pretty good tbh.

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - the PAL GC games have 480p mode removed for some stupid reason.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cheers Eric (and Davy and Hunk). Will take a look at the options. There may be more questions incoming ;-)

Going to have to wait and see what cables I’ve already got. I can’t recall to be honest. Been a couple years since I had it back and just recall it not being a great experience playing these games on a 65” 4K TV, hence my leaning towards grabbing a cheapish CRT.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've been mulling over getting an HDMI cable for GC. But I'm probably better off getting an OSSC or maybe waiting for the Pro as I have multiple RGB SCART consoles.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I’m guessing the Analogue Duo is officially vapourware.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Interesting deep dive into Anbernic's first next-gen retro handheld, the RG552. I doubt anyone here will be interested in biting but it's interesting to see what £171 will and won't buy you at this point.

The ergonomics sound pretty weak for a higher-end handheld you'd be wanting to play dual-shoulder button systems with. It's also a bit disappointing that GameCube and PSP don't seem to perform particularly well. I feel like a lot of people buy these things to have a bit of a fart around with and this does seem like another farting around kinda system - except it costs £171.

I feel like £50 for an older chipset that can only do 2D or £100-ish for something that can do PS1 comfortably and maybe a bit of dabbing in other stuff is probably a bit more comfortable in terms of the price to value ratio. This seems like £171 for something that only has half a foot in the more recent systems.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    This seems like £171 for something that only has half a foot in the more recent systems.

I'd definitely expect it to work perfectly for that price. And as you say, the ergonomics seem off - those analogue sticks look uncomfortably low. Probably won't be a problem if it can only do 2D games well, though. I like the aesthetics, though. Almost Analogue-esque.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Analogue Pocket review embargo ends and 4pm UK time but this one seems to have broken embargo:

• Steam: Ruffnekk
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I'm just watching that one now funnily enough!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think I'm gonna have a go at the pre-orders tommorow.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Here's Digital Foundry Retro:

• EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Just finished watching, good video from John. It does seem like this is pretty ace, although from the sound of it the firmware's gonna evolve over the next few months.
  • Aye, seems like this is the real new deal.
    Analogue setting the standard for fpga retro gaming once again.
  • The gameboy LCD style emulation is really impressive I think, going as far as having subtle shades of green within the pixels.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think it's interesting they've had to strike a balance between accuracy and not having the screens look as awful as the originals. Like the Game Gear filter isn't super accurate but you wouldn't want a device in 2021 to look like the original - you can barely see the colours! The Game Boy filter doesn't look quite as fluid as the original hardware in the waterfall sequence they use as a side by side comparison but that's probably because to make it truly accurate they'd have to keep the original horrible ghosting.
  • If ROM support becomes a thing I'd definitely be interested in it.
  • Assuming EverDrives will work with the Analogue Pocket?
  • Everdrives were working in the review units so rom's should not be a problem.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Yeah, EverDrives work and the Pocket seems to be aware you're using a ROM cart as it will shut down instead of using the sleep function (cos the sleep function is incompatible with ROM carts and would mess 'em up). I think the big question mark is the extent to which any potential jailbreak firmware would negate the need to use a ROM cart.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Get ready for Pocket pre-orders! Ten minutes away.
  • Ah fuck it. Got an order in!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!