Pro Evolution Soccer 2014
  • I can't stop playing this.  It just ebbs and flows far more realistically than FIFA 14 demo (for me).  Everything from the player models, kit colours, player's faces - everything about it feels more realistic & organic.  I feel like jumping in the air when I score a goal, like with old PES games.  When I score in FIFA I just feel 'meh'.

FIFA is a good demo and it's improved but the whole thing still feels like a slog.  I keep playing 2 games of FIFA and then switch to PES and can't put it down.

I think it's because PES let's me play the football I WANT to play.  I feel in total control.  And it doesn't make my eyes bleed like FIFA does (what the hell have they done with the contrast in that damn game?  The day matches make Barcelona's home kits look black!)

So yeah, very impressed with the new team at Konami and this bodes well for the future and next gen installments.  The Fox Engine has defintely made an impact on things and I'm looking forward to the full game.  I just hope they don't tinker with it too much.

And apologies for comparing both demos in here - I realise that many here love FIFA and I get it, it's a fantastic title in it's own right.
  • So I'm hosting a Come Round party today and should have a full-fat copy of PES2014 to play with. First time in years I haven't touched a demo before the final product. Initial feedback here seems mixed, which is a worry. However, Plan_XIIIs comments make me feel warm and fuzzy
  • I'm jealous!  How have you got it already?!
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    It's not out until next week?
  • Turns out you can turn off player names above the heads - it's in controller settings.
  • Plan_XIII wrote:
    I'm jealous!  How have you got it already?!
    Olimite wrote:
    It's not out until next week?
    This is how: http://www.comeround.com/pes2014/

BUCM1FrIQAAwr3o.jpg
  • how does that work then? do they come round and break your fingers if you don't upload a picture with enough people or something?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • how does that work then? do they come round and break your fingers if you don't upload a picture with enough people or something?

Basically, yes. You have to send it all back if you don't send some group pictures. I'm all good, I've got colleagues who are up for a game :)
    Get a haircut.

Cheeyaz Paal son.
  • Plan_XIII wrote:
    Turns out you can turn off player names above the heads - it's in controller settings.

I was just going to post how you can but you've sussed it. I also turned off the cursor as that was too invasive, but left the stamina bar on as it also acts as a smaller cursor and you need to glance at the player's energy.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    So this one's mint then?

Was this the version which promised a full rework of the engine (unlike the previous change logs that lied)?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • So this one's mint then? Was this the version which promised a full rework of the engine (unlike the previous change logs that lied)?

Yup totally new engine. Plays a little weird, can't quite work out if I love it or hate it.

Some major gripes; they've lost a LOT of player likenesses. NUFC just have 4 at this point in time. The lag on menus is unacceptable and its present in cut scenes too.

Can you install games to hard drive on ps3 like you can on 360?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Sounds utterly fucking shit.
  • Webbins wrote:
    Plan_XIII wrote:
    Turns out you can turn off player names above the heads - it's in controller settings.
    I was just going to post how you can but you've sussed it. I also turned off the cursor as that was too invasive, but left the stamina bar on as it also acts as a smaller cursor and you need to glance at the player's energy.

Yep I've done the same!  THIS DEMO IS AMAZING.  I am in love with a footy game again.

It's only taken 7 years Konami but you got there in the end.
  • Just had some brilliant matches with France v Germany on top player with no assists. Got a goal in 12 minutes stripping the last defender. Then Schweinstagerrer decided a diving header in front of my keeper was a smart move (pro tip: it was).

Managed to grab the winner early in the second half after another mistake from their defence. Quite satisfying.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    What's the thing where you hold the LT down and a directional arrow comes up - manual passing?
  • Olimite wrote:
    What's the thing where you hold the LT down and a directional arrow comes up - manual passing?

Yep. My guess its the substitute for wiimote aiming for long balls. Works quite well in my experience.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Done with this already. Still has dumb AI and dumb player switching no matter how manual or assisted you set it. Players run away from the ball, leaving it for other defenders to waltz up to and clear.

Superior wii playmaker edition from 2011 will remain my football game of choice for yet another year.
  • I couldn't disagree more.  Sometimes I cannot believe the runs my player make, I've been playing some delicious Scholes-like passing from midfield, hitting long diagonal balls to my wingers.

Also, make sure you're playing on at least Top Player difficulty, it's crap otherwise.
  • Plan_XIII wrote:
    I couldn't disagree more.  Sometimes I cannot believe the runs my player make, I've been playing some delicious Scholes-like passing from midfield, hitting long diagonal balls to my wingers.

Also, make sure you're playing on at least Top Player difficulty, it's crap otherwise.

I am playing on top player difficulty. Mind sharing what preferences you have set for the assist settings and general tips you find useful?

I'm not entirely ready to write it off - I have a strong love/hate relationship with sports games so any suggestions are welcome :)
  • I've just been playing with default settings, haven't tinkered with anything as yet :)
  • Ive been doing that today. Game seems to randomly change where it interprets my directional input, and passes often in the complete opposite direction. Just seems like there is still too much deliberate sluggishness even at the start of a game, and no control exists over where your passes go. Or, rather, you are on ever shifting ground. Sometimes a pass goes one way, in a comparable situation it goes a completely different one.

Infuriating. [/tantrum mode]
  • Online 2v2 is CONFIRMED this year after silly Konami took it away last time. Gonna have lots of late Friday nights on that I reckon.

That's me sorted until next year what with GTA V's arrival as well!
  • Hmm, well I keep trying and the same problems keep recurring.

Defenders running away from clearances.
    Multiple consecutive passes going in the direction I was not pointing passes (out by >90 degrees)
    Players running away from through balls, or from opposition bad passes to space
    Invincible attackers

The killer for me though is the complete absence of control over where passes go. It's almost entirely according to the COM as to whether your intended pass forward goes to the player level/slightly behind you or the one you meant it to go to who is off on their own down the wing.

Maybe I've been spoiled by the playmaker controls where there is no room for error when you have complete control over where you pass the ball and where the receiving player is moving to.

Also daytime levels are pointless when you can't see clearly where your players are once you move into the shadows covering 60% of the pitch.
  • Yeah the shadows piss me off.  Have you played the full game yet, Vela?
  • @Vela i haven't played much of the demo recently, but your passing issue sounds odd.  you sure you couldn't have a dodgy joypad?  or are you not using the power properly?  if you tap pass it will look for a shorter pass, and hold it will generally move the 'target' further away in order to pass to a player beyond a nearer one...sorry if that's condescending, but if you're used to the wii version you'd maybe forgot/didn't realise....
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Oh. That might be my mistake. Give me a few days more to confirm if I'm just making dumb short passes. That would be embarrassing.
    Plan_XIII wrote:
    Yeah the shadows piss me off.  Have you played the full game yet, Vela?

Only the psn demo so far.
  • Yep that's right Ram, this game punishes you if you don't hold the button down longer for longer passes etc.

Also, change passing from semi assisted (default) to assisted if you're struggling Vela.
  • Onwards I plod. At least I can score some goals now, mainly with the odd devastating through ball.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!