Pro Evolution Soccer 2014
  • I'm not entirely sure if its one specific thing, but some examples include the parity of tackles and the ability of the dispossessed player to regain the ball. If my guys lose it, they never get it back. If they lose it, they get it back 9 times out of 10. That and invincible runs.

I'm going to give it a few more goes instead, it got me wound up this morning quite more than expected, but I think I may have been doing dumb shit again.

Deep breaths...
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That's all part of the same problem, the zombie animations that kick in when your player has any kind of physical contact. It would be hilarious to watch a guy totally ignore the ball at his feet if you weren't actually interested in winning games.
  • I'm also half suspicious the game bugged out on me, since commentary was only popping up at the end of each half in several consecutive CL matches. I had some bullshit goals scored against me (invincible runs) but then equalised quite quickly thanks to the opposition making baffling back-passes right in front of my striker.

I'm in the process of updating it again, but I wont be installing it to HDD in case that had something to do with it.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Also fuck listening to Guantanamera again.
  • I am absolutely loving this still.  I just can't wait for the 2v2 to drop in a few weeks.

There's a massive learning curve with this game though - I was awful at first but am slowly starting to play some really beautiful football.

A few issues though:

Button lag.  It's hardly noticeable at times but it's definitely there.

Keepers.  I've played around 40 matches now and have only noticed two glaring keeper errors.  But my mate reckons it happens far more than that.  Konami have said a fix for this is "around the corner".

Apart from those niggles, it plays a beautiful game of football.  I love the new engine and it bodes very well for next gen.  I've got the BETA option file edit so most of the teams I use have proper kits etc but waiting for the full version with real crowd chants etc.
  • Dont forget passes not going where you direct them, and ridiculous ball physics/collisions never going your way.
  • What assist level you playing with?
  • The one that makes my players run away from the ball
  • haha I'd definitely take it back if I was you - it's a Marmite game that's for sure.

If you hate this why don't you check out FIFA 14?  I'm gonna give it a bash later myself.
  • I appreciate your attempts at help, it's true that its not for me it would seem.

As for Fifa ... I'm one of those people who doesn't buy EA games. I'll be sticking with the playmaker edition of PES 11/12 I think for now.

I dont know why exactly, it just feels like so many things go wrong in any given play. Passes go astray, my tackles are less effective than theirs, even in like for like situations, and whether that's my fault or the game's fault is academic at this stage since I dont have the patience to persevere with its quirks.
  • It's not perfect by any means but I'm having a lot of fun with it.  I even jumped in the air with a 'fist pump' celebration because I scored my first header from a corner last night.  That's what I love about PES and have missed - scoring a goal feels great, like it should in real life.

I'm not holding much hope for FIFA this year.  I've been reading stuff about it at another forum I frequent and the majority don't seem happy with it at all (and most of them are raging FIFA fan bois usually).

Really looking forward to the next gen now though to see how both EA and Konami games fare.
  • The random nature of PES has always been the strength of the gameplay - it seems far less rigid than Fifa. Unfortunately my feeling is that this year there is a bit more in the way of niggles that have made their way in.

And yeah, diving headers from corners are nice. Managed that twice on the demo.
  • I picked up FIFA in the end because I got it cheap with my shopping. It's alright.
  • Plan_XIII wrote:
    It's not perfect by any means but I'm having a lot of fun with it.  I even jumped in the air with a 'fist pump' celebration because I scored my first header from a corner last night.  That's what I love about PES and have missed - scoring a goal feels great, like it should in real life. I'm not holding much hope for FIFA this year.  I've been reading stuff about it at another forum I frequent and the majority don't seem happy with it at all (and most of them are raging FIFA fan bois usually). Really looking forward to the next gen now though to see how both EA and Konami games fare.

Agree with that! The feeling of scoring a goal is what's getting me through this dry period before they release the first data pack and I can play master league. I'd love to get an option file if they didn't create their own players...
  • Went back to PES 2012 Wii today. I must say I find it more enjoyable, even though visually its quite the step back.
  • Downloaded PES2014 demo earlier.

Feels really good to me. Some of the animations are great and the physics have improved a lot since I last bothered with the series - Some wonderfully crunching challenges when you time them right! As mentioned earlier, scoring a goal in PES always feels like more of an achievement than in Fifa and I found myself fist pumping a few times earlier.

There are issues, of course. Largely ones that have always been present in PES, but it just feels so much more exciting than FIFA (Note: I haven't tried 2014).

Unfortunately for me, I have no friends, and football games really are about the local multiplayer for me, so I probably won't purchase.
  • Downloading FIFA demo now. Let's see...
  • Yeah, PES demo is infinitely better. Pity it's nowhere near as polished.
  • rather than clog up currently playing...
    i reinstalled PES 6 on PC and downloaded a bunch of patches by 'shollym' that basically tweaks and alters tonnes of stuff, and has a few different collections of teams - up to date clubs, all national teams, and a 'classic' teams collection.
    anyway, i installed the latter, it's pretty amazing work, and i just wanted to share this amazing intro video that it uses....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWWfP3M4nBk
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Spent a good couple days with this now and the Pro Evo bug has bitten me again. Downloaded Daymo's latest option file (still waiting for Championship, Bundesliga, etc. to be fully updated) and as there's no Leeds for now, went straight into the Master League with Newcastle. Professional difficulty, OG ML team but not as I remember them, only Mirandina seems familiar, have lost a few, drawn a few more and won many to keep me second or third.

Fabulous engine they've got going, not without its niggles but then it wouldn't be Pro Evo without them. Crafting a goal has me giving a little fist pump like it's PES5 again, can get a little wayward with the physics and the AI, but it's got all the character I remember from all those years ago. It obviously misses a lot of the polish FIFA can afford, but that was always part of the charm.

What with this, a resurgent Battlefield and more to come with GTA, plenty to tide me over till the next gen hullabaloo has died down.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Yeah I am enjoying it again after giving FIFA 14 a good play.  I still prefer the gameplay in this, FIFA is waaaay too fast still for my liking but loads of fun online in 2v2 mode.

I've been sent a Daymos USB stick and have installed the Option File with the Championship, Bundesliga etc included so let me know if you want me to email the file to you Webbins?  It looks fantastic with the proper kits etc, I'll also have crowd chants for every team in a week or so too.

This and GTA are the 2 reasons I'll be playing the 360 well into 2014.
  • That would be very decent of you, Plan. I think if you upload it to the B&B Dropbox, that would work. Let me know if you need the login details and I'll PM.

The pacing in this is superb, you are allowed time on the ball to play as you are less pressured in your own half, which obviously increases the further up the pitch. The physicality also allows you to dribble with the ball and not immediately lose possession. It is a pleasure to be able to run and score on occasion, or pull off a well measured through ball and wrestle away from the AI. On occasion I've found the game let's the AI showboat a little with feints, leaving your players powerless to tackle, but it's a minor quibble. Very little to fault with this.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Oi, no PES nonsense spoiling my Dropbox account!
  • I got Newcastle promoted in my first season, almost in first but it was neck and neck on the final game which I lost. Professional difficulty feels about right, a fair amount of W/L/D and no outrageous scorelines, and the Premier League is definitely another step up. Offered a few international jobs from minor countries, took up the USA post so it should spice up my second ML season.
  • Olimite wrote:

I'll delete it Oli, promise... or are you just worried it will taint the place?
  • Webbins wrote:
    I got Newcastle promoted in my first season, almost in first but it was neck and neck on the final game which I lost. Professional difficulty feels about right, a fair amount of W/L/D and no outrageous scorelines, and the Premier League is definitely another step up. Offered a few international jobs from minor countries, took up the USA post so it should spice up my second ML season.

I'm gonna start my ML later, gonna play as Spurs.  Lack of stadia in this edition is a minor annoyance but the game is so amazing ON the field I couldn't really care.

Got my custom soundtrack on the go as well so I don't have to put up with Konami's dodgy tunes.

I'll grab the USB stick now and see what I can do with the file for you.
  • OK ready to send, Webbins.  There a folder with a shit load of crowd chants in here too, only just noticed!
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    Olimite wrote:

I'll delete it Oli, promise... or are you just worried it will taint the place?

It's fine, honestly.
  • He's a good bloke is our Oli.
  • New patch is now up on XBL and PSN.  It has fixed the keepers reactions when you shoot from close range and near post, also loads of other fixes too.  Game is even better now!

Plus there's FINALLY the new Data Pack to download.  The thing is HUGE and takes a good while to bring down.  It's got 1000s of new faces (no more dodgy Rafael!) plus up-to-date transfers and 2v2/11v11 mode is now GO.

They took their time about it but it's here at last.  Make sure you haven't got any option files loaded when you install of the above - basically, make sure your game is vanilla and then download them.  Daymos new Option File is nearly here which will be compatible with the above and will include fully licensed kits, leagues, balls, crowd chants for every team (!) and HD emblems.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!