ArmA 3
  • This thing is seriously fun to drive, the physics engine is great - i've just done a dukes of hazard style jump over a wall! :D
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    It was supported in Arma II. Didn't mean it actually worked.
    Not sure exactly what you're expecting, Arma has way more controls than you could ever fit on a controller.

I miss the old card keyboard overlays that you used to get with complex PC games. I'd love an ArmA one of those.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • I like physics

edit: wonder would it be possible to do what they did on top gear?
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    And I cannot lie
  • In case you're wonder, yes you can drive around and it stays there. :)
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Should finally have a bit of free time post-8pm(ish). You around pie?
  • Maybe, might have to play Anno (with the gf) but if i'm on Arma send me a message on steam.

Lets not bother with the shooty shooty stuff and try and land a helicopter on a moving vehicle instead! ;-)
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Always keen for some foolishness. :)

Do you do the voice chat thing?
  • Yeah sure, wouldn't be much fun if we couldn't communicate - and skrew typing everything, i'm far too lazy for all that.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Jolly good. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you once the sprog is all tucked in and snoozing and we'll see what's what.
  • I still haven't played the scuba diving mission yet today. Having way too much fun messing about in the editor. Just took off in the helicopter from the AI driven Ifrit rolling down the runway. Going to try a landing next.

Also, just noticed the functions part of the editor. Looks very handy, in fact in general everything is much better documented in this game. I can see myself creating missions in this one. I mean I tried and did a little in 2 but the scripting was such a barrier that the more time you spent doing it, the more confusing it got.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Indeed. Rossi described it as a programming language for war.

It was always a bit much but I loved base-building and then sending various configurations of attackers against it. Must try harder this time.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    After a bit more editor play with the helos and squad on board I think I've found my vocation. The old in-out.
  • Guessing you're not going to be back on then? I thought I was signed into steam and was waiting to hear a message but when I went to check at about 8.20 I wasn't fully signed in. Missed you by just a few minutes!
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Yeah, I couldn't see you so I messed around for a bit and bailed. 

I'm just feeding right now but if you're keen I can be back on in about 5. I'll log in shortly and see if you're there.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    As you can see, after some fairly unsuccessful attempts to get in a game we ended up doing this...

2013-03-06_00002_zps8c169e8d.jpg

2013-03-06_00003_zps13532c30.jpg

2013-03-06_00007_zps843ff0bb.jpg

2013-03-06_00008_zps766d14ad.jpg

You may hear reports that the helo pilot wasn't able to kill the target on the ground even after he got out of the car. Further reports suggest that eventually the helo pilot, in frustration, landed to finish his victim off on foot yet was gunned down with ease once he was on foot himself.

These reports are yet to be confirmed...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I don't want to go all "me me me", but when are these 'lite' keys expected? And what are they?
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    The 12th apparently. No modding or multiplay. :( And the editor is "limited"; whatever that means.

It's good for a benchtest and you can do all the singleplayer stuff but you won't be wetting yourself laughing as you try to land a helo on your man's moving ground vehicle.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Trying to get my helo skills back up to scratch so as practice I lapped the island's coastline in the KA, following as closely as I could. It took just under 5 mins. The main landmass will be more than 10 times this size I believe?

Largeness.
  • If there were any spare lite keys going then I would be extremely grateful (but no kissing on the lips)
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Chernarus from Arma2 and Takistan from ArrowHead are perfectly happy in 3 apparently. I've had no joy finding clear instructions on exactly what files are required however.

I tried copying all the chernarus_ and takistan_ files into the addon folder. That got a bunch of error messages but usable landscape; no buildings, no veg just the topography (with texture).

I have no idea which files are actually required so I'm going to use the blunderbus method and copy the addon folders of 2 and AH into 3 and see what happens. Epically inefficient but I'm not sure how else to proceed. I'll go through the folder afterwards and remove what obviously has nothing to do with it; vehicle related etc.

Anyone else tried this and have any further revelations?

Edit: @ Carbon, I imagine pie can sort you out.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Blunderbuss is not the way forward. Menus screwed and all the old units selectable but they're unusable; even an ArmA2 splashscreen when you fire it up.

More research is needed. A list of the required files to get the veg and buildings for the old maps into 3 is what we need; the old vehicles aren't going to work with the new physics. I'm sure someone's nailed it already; I just haven't been able to find it.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message

Well this guy seems to know what he's on about. It's very glitchy but it works.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    I was hoping that launching via steam (as opposed to the shortcut) would miss out the funky (ie: glitchy) stuff. It appears that this isn't the case. 

If you want to play around with this then backup your original arma 3 addons dir.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Some interesting stuff beginning to surface on the BIS forums.

Worth a look. 

I'm stopping now; someone else post some shit before I look (more) like a sad case.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    If you have been playing on the MP servers over the last few hours or so you will have noticed that you may have been spawning as a seagull at the start of missions.
    If a client running the latest development build of arma3 connects to a server, they will cause a bug to occur which spawns players as seagulls.

to be fixd out today....proboubly.

now back to watching 'jack frags' and 'frankie on pc' (in 1080p) and there arma/dayz stuff.
    (god im so jealus of these games)
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • I've two Alpha lite keys, who wants them?

If you're not already on my Steam friends list I think you need to add me, or you can pm me an email address.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    @GooberTheHat
    @Moto70

You're not in my friends list so request me and I'll send it your way.

@Mod74

You should have yours; enjoy.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    I've two Alpha lite keys, who wants them?

If you're not already on my Steam friends list I think you need to add me, or you can pm me an email address.

I think Carbon was keen.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!