ArmA 3
  • metagonzo wrote:
    Yeah; it's giving my rig a bit of a hard time. Auto detect is rather unrealistic.  However; even significant reductions in settings are still leaving it a bit clunky. The one thing I haven't reduced (in fact I increased it) is draw distance as that's essential in my book. I hope that's not the (only) solution to the problems; I shall investigate next time. It's still very pretty at medium-ish settings and I'd be rid of motion blur even if I'd just spent 5k on a silly-rig. On a more game related note.... it's kicking my arse! I was never any good at the series (despite my love for it) but I can't complete any of the scenarios; first and second times around. To the editor! That's always what it was all about for me.
    I completed the infantry mission, stick close to your guys and stay behind cover as much as possible. It's actually not too difficult, think I done it on my third attempt and it only took 13 minutes. Only briefly started the diving mission but actually, it looks like it's going to be quite cool. BI have been raving about the diving and I didn't think it would be all that interesting.

Having a big draw distance is cool but really, unless you're flying you don't need it over 1500m (and that's assuming there even is a sniper rifle in this alpha). I figured out how to set the resolution properly and it's running smooth enough for now. I am hoping for improvements in the final game (especially since this is only the small island) but I think at least a graphics card upgrade will be necessary as my card is a few years old now and it would be a shame to play this game with the lower settings.

edit: And yeah, the editor is where it's at. Will be especially great to see the stuff people come up with in the next couple of weeks.
  • You can fish!

By which I mean you can shoot fish.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    OK, I have an Intel core i  5
    An ATI Radon HD5470 (1gb)
    And 4gb ram.

Do I stand a chance of getting this to run?
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    I hadn't even noticed what I was winding up the distance to when I maxed it.... 12k.

Taken it down to 2 and it's sweet as a nut; certainly for the foot stuff.

Happy again. :D

edit: @pie
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    @Goober

Why not wait until the lite is out; you're welcome to one of mine. You'd still be in plenty of time to get the alpha price I'm sure.

With regards to those specs, I have no idea. I can't even remember what mine are; lazy having it built for me person that I am. (thnx again @Rossi ;) )
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Thanks meta, I'll take you up on the lite(grrr) version when its available. Cheers.
  • OK, I have an Intel core i  5 An ATI Radon HD5470 (1gb) And 4gb ram. Do I stand a chance of getting this to run?
    Is that a laptop?

You would probably have great difficulty running it if so, my desktop is certainly struggling and old as it is it would still play most games better than most laptops unless they were super high spec gaming ones.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, lap top pie :-(
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It runs sky rim at half decent quality if that helps.
  • Definitely try the lite version first, it might play it but it'd likely be at a low resolution and low settings if so. Sorry, but no point getting your hopes up.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Hmm, cheers. How can I convince the wife? Photoshop works much better with a 4gb graphics card right guys?
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Just had a bit of a fiddle with the command bar and it is vastly improved.

I had a 4 man diver team in the editor and moving them individually from cover to cover in the little harbour town was fluid and faultless. Seems like "move there" has received something of an upgrade.

Another nice thing is that you can have the whole team open but if you hover over 1 member it gives the option to only issue the command to the hovered member.
    No more working out who's who.

Looking forward to seeing what else they've done with squad leading.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I wouldn't mind knowing if my new laptop would run this, I'm not expecting anything mindblowing but just at a 360 sort of level.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Don't suppose anyone has tried using a controller? Ahem.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    It's supported. Might be handy for driving land stuff, maybe air. 
    I'll be dusting off my stick tomorrow and giving the helo another crack. 

You're welcome to one of my lite codes when they're released if you fancy testing it out, Perm.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It was supported in Arma II. Didn't mean it actually worked.

metagonzo wrote:
    You're welcome to one of my lite codes when they're released if you fancy testing it out,

awesome

metagonzo wrote:
    Perm.

You barstard!
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Not sure exactly what you're expecting, Arma has way more controls than you could ever fit on a controller.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    You're welcome to one of my lite codes when they're released if you fancy testing it out,
    awesome
    Perm.
    You barstard!

I'm pretty sure I only have them promised to goober and perm; you can have my 3rd one and everyone's a winner.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Not sure exactly what you're expecting, Arma has way more controls than you could ever fit on a controller.

Well, they can be smart with it. Modifiers and the such like.

Arma II has way more controls than I have fingers on my left hand, but they still keep adding them. I know it's the antithesis of CoD etc, but the trillion stance options in that video just seem ott to me. I'm sure some people will love it.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    metagonzo wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    awesome
    Perm.
    You barstard!
    I'm pretty sure I only have them promised to goober and perm; you can have my 3rd one and everyone's a winner.

Only if you're sure and there's not someone more desperate for one.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    but the trillion stance options in that video just seem ott to me. I'm sure some people will love it.
    I love it. It seems complicated but in practice it's very easy, just a matter of getting used to it. It wouldn't matter in a game like COD but firing from cover and showing as little as possible of yourself is very important in Arma.

They do actually give you a lot of control over how you want to set up your controls, but even with modifiers you'd have a tough time setting up all the main controls. The keyboard & mouse control setup (despite being so numerous) is not as complicated as it seems  - just stick with it!

I'm not going to get into the k&m is better argument but even if you could set up the all the controls on a controller it still wouldn't be as good/easy to remember the control with, in Arma.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It's only movement and firing that needs to be on the controller. All the radio or whatever stuff can stay on the keyboard.

Reminds me of one of the first games I played online. Everyone on my team up on a hillside crouching behind rocks taking pot shots, the other team were holed up in a town. I hooked way out left and over a ridge line, snuck into the town and killed the other team.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    metagonzo wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    awesome
    Perm.
    You barstard!
    Only if you're sure and there's not someone more desperate for one.

First come first served is fair enough I think. I don't know anyone else in need of one at the mo anyway so it's all yours.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    It's only movement and firing that needs to be on the controller. All the radio or whatever stuff can stay on the keyboard. Reminds me of one of the first games I played online. Everyone on my team up on a hillside crouching behind rocks taking pot shots, the other team were holed up in a town. I hooked way out left and over a ridge line, snuck into the town and killed the other team.
    Movement and firing is on the controller? But yeah, even not counting the radio stuff there's still a ton of other controls.

What you're describing is just one situation though, more often than not you'll not know where the enemy is. If you're playing it as a simulation you wouldn't be running around like that because in reality doing that would get you killed very easily. Some people play this game with large groups of people playing 3+ hour missions with no respawn and that is why being able to fire from cover is so important. If you wanna play it like a game rather than a sim then you can simply not use all the various stances etc. The fact it has some depth to it is what makes it fun for me and not just another fps where you play superman.

Also, I'll have a few lite keys too so don't think there'll be a shortage.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Just hooked up my stick and went for a cruise in an AH-9 and it's a total joy. Just love the flight model this time even though it's not too different, just refined. It's so delicate and does exactly what you want. How the larger ones will pan out I don't know but I'm a pretty happy chappy with the H-9s.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It's a ridiculously long winded way to do it, but the choppers in ARMA II are an absolute joy. Just pissing round on a free roam is about twelvty million percent more fun than the last Ace Combat. Pile of shit game that is.
  • metagonzo wrote:
    Just hooked up my stick and went for a cruise in an AH-9 and it's a total joy. Just love the flight model this time even though it's not too different, just refined. It's so delicate and does exactly what you want. How the larger ones will pan out I don't know but I'm a pretty happy chappy with the H-9s.
    What stick you using? I got the x52 pro but not tried with A3 yet, it was actually a lot easier to use k&m with Arma II than using the joystick but I did notice the improved flight model yesterday so must try the stick and see how it goes.

The thing I like is the controls seem to be more responsive, you can get to greater speeds and the rudder actually does something when you're travelling over 10mph! Not played it but they've obviously took a few lessons on board from take on helicopters.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    I'm on a Cyborg X F.L.Y. 5 so I'm sure you're going to love it even more.

I've been skimming valleys, hiding at fast rope height, holding over buildings etc. and it's been great.

That said; I've also been crashing into valleys, clear to see at fast rope height, smashing into buildings etc. and it's been great.

I've really enjoyed just checking the place out in an MH-9. It's so responsive it's mad.
  • Ahahaha...drive the Ifrit and feel like a 5 year old. Seriously, wtf?

Also, the (ground) vehicle physics seems pretty nice, though i've literally just tried it out for a minute there now.

My god, this is so good, i'll never be able to go back to Arma II.
  • Ahahaha...drive the Ifrit and feel like a 5 year old. Seriously, wtf?
    Appear to have been a bug. I got into it and I couldn't see over the dash for some reason.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!