CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Sorry i couldn't return - missus wanting attention. Great team matches though. Sign of the future?
  • I picked this up yesterday, it's a bit different ain't it?  I kind of miss DBNO, although I like the faster gameplay I miss busting executions (can you still do them?) and I love the thrown grenade tag.  I must admit I am struggling with weapons, a lot seem almost pointless to choose as a starter apart from the odd rare situations.

First impressions are it's good to be different however any tips would be welcomed ;)
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • Yeah sorry I didn't come back either, matey turned up shortly after we took a break so had to duck out. Enjoyed the games we had, despite playing like crap for most of them. Main criticism at the moment is that the maps don't feel like classic symmetrical gears maps. I mean, it doesn't even have gridlock ffs. Spent quite a bit of time over the weekend on the campaign, have finished Judgment and reckon about half way through aftermath at the moment. Enjoying it.
  • FFA is for loners lol
  • If I'd known there was another due this gen I'da stuck around probably.
  • That stated I do wonder if J-Gears is actually competitive. It's not like an FPS where there's the whole ohnoesdizzyness national curse, there're plenty of 3rd person arenagames in the arcades here, albeit they're full of big stompy robots.
  • yeah those 'clan' guys (does having the same prefix in your gt automatically make you a clan? It makes you a dick, mostly*) took beats. I got a message off one saying something like 'cheating fuck' - always a compliment. Don't think I did fuck all in that game either.

May be on tonight but will be early if I am. I'm stuck with having to use the TV in the living room atm and whilst gears is beloved by my housemate also it's rare that he'll agree to me sitting 2ft in front of it for several hours on a school night.

*except when we do it.
  • Gonzo wrote:
    I picked this up yesterday, it's a bit different ain't it?  I kind of miss DBNO, although I like the faster gameplay I miss busting executions (can you still do them?) and I love the thrown grenade tag.  I must admit I am struggling with weapons, a lot seem almost pointless to choose as a starter apart from the odd rare situations. First impressions are it's good to be different however any tips would be welcomed ;)
    What's your gamer tag? Weird that our paths never crossed. Mine is legaldinho

Mines Kurt Russel.

I'm not particularly great at this gears just yet though, its very different to play compared with the first 3 games.  I'm sure when I've actually had chance to learn what all the new guns do I'll stand a better chance... at the moment I am going through that "what does this button do?" phase, which usually ends in me being meaty chunks.
  • Can't say I've had any issues with new buttons really. Playing on the default setup atm and it's, what, change weapon and tac-com that have changed? Not a huge deal, imo. Tac-com being d-pad is the biggest annoyance.

What's the reasoning behind a second pad setup, what differences are there? I play mantis / claw in gears most of the time (index for A, thumb for stick, middle for trigger, switching to regular 2 thumb when needed) and can't say I've had issues outside of my own personal fumblings. I rarely bother with wallbouncing these days though, for all the effort I don't find it worth it really as a) if you're in a team I don't think it shouldn't be needed all that much and b) I'm alright at predicting where people will bounce to and shooting them, I think.

Having said all that in Halo I finally changed pad setup on 4 after years of being a stubborn bastard. Maybe I should check these other gears ones out.
  • I've not thought to see what other set ups are available.  I started getting accustomed to changing weapons with Y, but have died smashing the dpad for a weapon switch a fair few times... and I haven't worked out the button that tells you where everything on the map is, as that used to be LB.

I think the other thing that I am finding hardest to come to terms with is not having both a rifle and a gun on start up. I currently miss them, but can see how it mixes the game up a little.
  • aye I hate not having both. Gnasher is by far the most fun weapon in the game (in all games?) but a lot of the time lancer or retro seem to be the better choice.
  • crystal, cheers! Think I'll stick with the default for now at least, save me cursing and jumping over downed opponents by accident.
  • It sounds a smart move to switch to that... but I fear change!
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Gonzo wrote:
    Curtis has been on and off.

I really need to be in the mood to play versus on this, which isn't very often just lately.

Maybe i'm getting old and boring? :/
  • Ah same position here really, this goes into a wider discussion about games and getting old, I think, but yeah lately I just haven't had the motivation to sit down and play 4+ hours of versus, especially after getting home from work. I reckon this'd be different with BB only games, shooting badgers you know is always more fun that badgers you don't, I find.
  • I'm going to be playing this tonight with a +1. Everyone is more than welcome to join us ;)
  • I'm out of the country until Sunday I'm afraid. Do need to make more of an effort to get on this though.

Markza sounds handy if it's 2 body shots and a melee to kill. Still haven't given it much pop outside of campaign, and even then only slightly.
  • I dunno, headshots are much, much harder in gears than halo. I heard it was 2 headshots for the melon-burst with it and thought, "fuck, getting one's hard enough on a moving target", although having said that if it's a case of headshot then anywhere else on the body to kill, maybe it's not as tricky as I thought.

My sniping has gone to pot btw.
  • Two headshots? That's just silly. 
    What's the situation with 'nades and tagging?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Thanks. That's me happily out then. No more jealous glances from the poor side of the fence!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • One of the main things holding me back from playing at the moment is my god awful room in the shit hole I'm living in. Haven't got any room for my ancient, massive CRT (yeah, still) and my box isn't set up at all. If we have forum games going though (badgers v badgers) I'd get that shit set up. In fact, I should set it up anyway.
  • I'll be online again tonight I think.  The other night I was getting a bit quicker with the new controls, and I started to really enjoy myself.  I think I may have to get hold of the season pass on this one, as more maps will definately spice it up a bit :)

I imagine I'll be on around 8-8:30 as I need to go for a little food shop ;)
  • Sorry Gonzo, I think our timing was out last night.  I had a +1 so couldn't join your game (not sure what you were playing but it involved tickers) and after I we went on an amazing winning streak that had to be played until bed!
  • I haven't played those gametypes yet. This weekend I am sure I'll get more chance to though :)
  • Was there a great deal wrong with 3's rules (performance is another thing) by the time they stopped supporting it?
  • Gears 3's rules worked absolutely fine in my opinion.

However, the changes on this game have been great.  It takes a moment to get the hang of it, but the gameplay is a lot faster and more fun.  It's what gears needed rather than just making the same game again... It has also limited the amount of camping anyone can do, so no more watching a chicken shit hidden behind a box staring at a wall for a stalemate.  I get frustrated when people kick off every time a franchise tries to update itself, or try something new...
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Wait! So the Season Pass i paid for does what exactly?
  • Gives you a 25% discount lolz
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Bwhahahaha! Fucking Epic! Fucking M$!
  • I think one of the maps is an overun map too, so only 2 real MP maps.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!