Revengeance is nigh!
  • It is weird and a little disappointing, but if you stealth attack you can go straight into blade mode and basically do that anyway. You can even do it on the stealth attack when you jump, after you've hit him you have about 2 seconds to do go into blade mode.

TheDJR wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    It'll be like Vanquish, get a 7 or an 8, and those who get on with it will adore it, and those who don't get on with it will proclaim it utterly shite, devoid of merit, a boring clone of X with a gimmick etc etc
    Or Bayonetta which got a 10 and was still hated by plenty of people.

I would be surprised (and happy) if this got a 10, but I think it is closer in spirits to Vanquish, as it has one thing that it does, but it does it really, really well.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    It'll be like Vanquish, get a 7 or an 8, and those who get on with it will adore it, and those who don't get on with it will proclaim it utterly shite, devoid of merit, a boring clone of X with a gimmick etc etc
    Or Bayonetta which got a 10 and was still hated by plenty of people.

I hated the presentation of Bayonetta but liked the gameplay (what I could stomach of the game anyway). Bayonetta gameplay with this presentation would work for me.

Liked both gameplay and presentation of Vanquish.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Can't you switch blade-mode camera control to the right stick?  Is that the problem?
    Really enjoyed it anyway, didn't realise there was a dodge and was quite liking how that forced me into the risk/reward of parrying.  Parrying which fixes NG: Black and Bayo's problem of being spammable (although NG2 solved this, it felt a little too risky to use).
    I only hope that the demo's slow-walk finger-phone bits are the only examples in the entire game.

Ftr, I adore Bayonetta but didn't get on with Vanquish.
  • I didn't notice an option for switching the sticks Dubs but I will give it the benefit of the doubt and check, that will certainly help if it is there.
  • Dubs wrote:
    Can't you switch blade-mode camera control to the right stick?  Is that the problem? Really enjoyed it anyway, didn't realise there was a dodge and was quite liking how that forced me into the risk/reward of parrying.  Parrying which fixes NG: Black and Bayo's problem of being spammable (although NG2 solved this, it felt a little too risky to use). I only hope that the demo's slow-walk finger-phone bits are the only examples in the entire game. Ftr, I adore Bayonetta but didn't get on with Vanquish.

As stated before, the dodge isn't amazing, it's just a nice alternative to have. 

More things i've noticed: Parrying has two timings, one for a block/stumble which you can follow up on, and one for a true parry, which counters into an attack. I thought it was attack specific, but it's timing, neat.

Raiden has stinger, and launcher just like Dante. Towards>Towards>Wide Slash is launcher, Towards>Towards>Heavy Slash is stinger. He also has a MIGHTY PALM attack, which is away>towards>wide slash. It is ACE.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I would be surprised (and happy) if this got a 10, but I think it is closer in spirits to Vanquish, as it has one thing that it does, but it does it really, really well.

It won't get a 10, just adding to the point that there seems to be little middle ground with Platinum, most either love or hate.
  • Tempy wrote:
    You're meant to parry attacks by pressing towards+X (square). The dodge is X+A (square+X), and can be done backwards or sideways.

Ahh, I wasn't parrying at all, thanks, I'll give it another go tommorrow.
  • Ah right, I misread your intention there. I agree. I fully expect that, come launch, the thread will be full of people enjoying it, and people who haven't playing it saying "ooh a 7 eh, well shame on that"

Edit: one more thing for folk like @liveinadive who are having issues with Blade Mode. You can use X&Y to slash in blade mode. ChopChopChopChopChopChopChopChopChopChopChop!
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    While I understand people not liking Bayonetta for the design (really, the only problem there is Bayo herself as enemy design was amazing. And most of her alternate costumes are much better imo) I can't understand why people would dislike Vanquish. For me it was like a defib jolting the just flat-lined corpse of the cover shooter back to life.

I'm about to play the demo. Gawd fuck this is exciting.
  • VANQUISH ISN'T A COVER SHOOTER

If your cover score per stage is over 5% you've DONE IT WRONG
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Ah right, I misread your intention there. I agree. I fully expect that, come launch, the thread will be full of people enjoying it, and people who haven't playing it saying "ooh a 7 eh, well shame on that"

Oooh, chill Winston.

Bayonetta is one of my fave games this gen, carried almost entirely by the story and art. Vanquish takes one idea and asks you to repeat it for 7 hours in a story and environment that's as dull as ditchwater.

Excuse me for hanging on for the opinions of a variety of reviewers to see which one this ends up being closer to rather than impressions of a demo from people that have been convinced it'll be awesome from the minute it was announced.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    VANQUISH ISN'T A COVER SHOOTER If your cover score per stage is over 5% you've DONE IT WRONG

preaching_to_the_choir.jpg
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    A divinely inspired bear?
  • I wanted to see that film until I noticed it won awards.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Cor even the regular attacks have unique cutting mechanics. I thought it was just blade mode.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Courtney has massive chest augmentations
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Is the cat on the beach the first boss? I can't seem to hit it.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Bloody good fun and has cemented by day one purchase decision. Only issues are the camera being difficult to quickly adjust to behind me and my inability to move the right analogue stick down in a complete straight line during blade mode as it always wiggles a bit. Latter is more my own cursed fingers though.

What's the best way to beat four legs? I ended up parrying him till he tires out then waggling blade mode on him as if i'm playing thumb wars with the analogue stick.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Ah right, I misread your intention there. I agree. I fully expect that, come launch, the thread will be full of people enjoying it, and people who haven't playing it saying "ooh a 7 eh, well shame on that"

Oooh, chill Winston.

Excuse me for hanging on for the opinions of a variety of reviewers to see which one this ends up being closer to rather than impressions of a demo from people that have been convinced it'll be awesome from the minute it was announced.

It wasn't aimed at you, just at the folk who pop into a thread and go 'oh it got a 6? Must be shite.' for things like Resi 6, despite having not played it.

Yes I've been on board with this since it was handed to Platinum, they're a studio I trust after all, but the idea that anyone who has played the demo and enjoyed it is 'putting a brave face on it' is a bit ridiculous, and suggests you don't think we're capable of forming our own opinions.

I like third person action games with interesting combat systems, and like to think I know a little about them. I played the DmC demo enough to know the core was top notch, I've played the Revengeance demo more, finding out more tricks and quirks in the system than there have been in 3 whole God of War games.

The issues that others have had are valid, but they're also totally surmountable in about 5 minutes, like getting used to any vaguely new control system.

I guess the only thing to do would be to try the demo and see for yourself. The ability to restart checkpoints from the start menu gives you ample opportunities to play around with the mechanics.

Edit: man I need to learn how to be succinct
  • Will download demo tonight. Is it the same one from Eurogamer (played that twice)? Where you can get stuck on the beach if you slice the stairs?

Didn't have any problems whatsoever with camera at Eurogamer, hope it still clicks with me. Can appreciate that it would be a turn off for some people, like Ninja Gaiden 2 was for me because of terrible camera, but it shouldn't take long at all to adjust to it. Like adjusting to any controls surely.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It is that one. If you slice the stairs can you not just use ninja run to get up the top?
  • you can run up walls, stairs are for girls.

is it the same demo that came with ZOE HD? i agree with the aforementioned camera issues but also with what was said about letting go of the stick. didn't take long to get into. slicing is hella fun, shades of afro samurai but much better.

this will satiate my needs not provided for by certain other rebooted franchises!

platinum games are a bit marmite, but to me they always seem to nail that old school gameplay hook with some sort of fun mechanic and wrap it up in a crazy shiny package.
  • NO BAD MOUTHING DmC IN HERE

Fave trick at the minute is doing the prompt-kill on the Gekkos, using one aimed slice to get the gooey bit exposed, then hammer X and wiggling the camera around to chop the living shit out of them. 70+ parts indeed.
  • personally i liked Raiden's hair the most. he's gone full anime now.
  • Did you try and kill the cat at the start?

FINAL BOSS
  • i have this inability to harm or even try to harm cats in video games. It made certain parts of red dead pretty hard, and fighting king players in tekken. 

and don't even get me started on Tokyo Jungle!
  • I'll have a proper go and get boss at it when my eyes aren't stinging from man flu.
  • Smang wrote:
    i have this inability to harm or even try to harm cats in video games. It made certain parts of red dead pretty hard, and fighting king players in tekken. 

and don't even get me started on Tokyo Jungle!

Haha! It's ok, try slashing the cat on the beach in Revengeance, trust me.
  • haha, i have seen. I really hope it's not the final boss :(

GAME UNFINISHED
  • I don't think I can hold out, keep thinking about Raiden mmm cyborgs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!