Revengeance is nigh!
  • I'm probably not going to bother with this imminently or perhaps at all nevertheless it is quite obviously the soundest MGS title to date.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    But it ain't an MGS title Mr Brooks Sir.
  • Yes it is. It's got silly boss squaddies an all.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Yeah but you cut em ya don't bang bang em.
  • Snakebro had a knife at points.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Raiden's is longer and more impressive. And vibrates at a high frequency.
  • See this isn't making my call much weaker Bawbag.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I thought the cock joke would swing you (WA HEY) around.
  • Some fiddling around with the buttons has lead me to realise that X+A (wide slash and jump) is in fact a dodge! And you can dodge left and right. It isn't really that neat other than giving you valuable invulnerability frames to dodge Gekko pounces, and their wire thingy. 

Can get past the whole boss fight (with goons) now without taking a single hit. Glorious. I hope one of the upgrades is the ability to dash at your opponents after a parry, as the current follow up doesn't seem to cover enough ground.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I shall try yon tonight.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Watched the GB quick look earlier. Kinky boots.
  • Demo downloaded, gonna try it later tonight, absolutely loved Bayonetta so I've got high hopes.
  • Ok, I think this is going to be something very special.
  • Certainly was impressed with what they do with the blade, has anything like that been done before? It's a little fiddly for me, but I can't fault the technical cleverness.
  • I want to like this but the controls are a fucking mess.
  • wat

Edit: precisely which bit is a mess, because I can get through the demo it without getting hit now, so...
  • The inversion is killing me. I want the normal camera one way and the blade camera the other. That and the camera being on one stick for movement and another for blade cam doesnt make sense.

I am sure if I played for hours I could get over it buy fuck that for a laugh, I havent battled a camera this much since the N64
  • Well positioning your blade so you don't quite slice the hostage, and accepting that sometimes letting off the stick will strike and sometimes it won't is not exactly smooth as silk.
  • After about the fourth time of tutting at the blade cam, all I did was this: let go off the analogue stick when I went into blade mode.

That stops you looking at your feet the second you go in. Then you realise you don't really need to look around as your blade has a huge arc. So then you just slash like a nutter, and occasionally re-adjust. Certainly doesn't take hours to crack.

Had a big chat on twitter with adkm about this too. Think it is gonna be be an issue for quite a few folk. I personally don't see the problem, it takes about as long to figure out as the timing on the parry.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Frankly this all sounds very disappointing and you're all putting a brave face on it.

We'll see come review time.
  • But why not just have an option to change each camera type?
    I honestly cant be bothered to play it again, would have bought this too but camera fuck arounds are a massive turn off for me.
  • Dunno, that's the EG demo, it might have been put in during the 12 months between that and releases.

Certainly doesn't bother me. I'll be sticking my best 'brave face' on when I buy it anyway.
  • Slashing away at a melon in the tutorial for a laugh and finding that actually each stroke had counted was pretty amazing, I thought. Just technically.
  • I skipped the tutorial and played for five mins without having a clue, managed to stop looking at my feet after the third attempt, it feels like it'll reward practice and perseverance like any Platinum game.
  • I'm not sure battling a shitty camera is the kind of test I want out of a game.

Timing parries, learning combos to muscle memory, evading all fine, but controls should be fluid and intuitive.

I did enjoy playing the demo, there is a lot there, gwafax, animation, art design are all superb as is the sword concept. Just let me put buttons where I want buttons devs!
  • It'll be like Vanquish, get a 7 or an 8, and those who get on with it will adore it, and those who don't get on with it will proclaim it utterly shite, devoid of merit, a boring clone of X with a gimmick etc etc
  • I'm so crap at this............ I keep running up to the geckos, entering blade mode (always hear it in a russian accent now) and proceed to get booted in da face, repeatedly. Hopefully these controls will click with more practice.
    Is there a dodge button or something? or are you meant to use ninja run to dodge attacks?
  • You're meant to parry attacks by pressing towards+X (square).

The dodge is X+A (square+X), and can be done backwards or sideways.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Didn't get on with it, but the slicing is a nice little novelty. Shame everything you slice disappears seconds after you've sliced it.

I found it more than a little odd that you can't use the precise aiming to stealth kill a guy in one hit even though you're stood right behind him. Hacking at his bonce with a blade that can cut through a car and he just says 'Ow' and raises the alarm? Fuck off. I wanted to recreate that bit in Dawn of the Dead where the zed gets the top of his head lopped off by the chopper blade. Ho hum.
  • Tempy wrote:
    It'll be like Vanquish, get a 7 or an 8, and those who get on with it will adore it, and those who don't get on with it will proclaim it utterly shite, devoid of merit, a boring clone of X with a gimmick etc etc

Or Bayonetta which got a 10 and was still hated by plenty of people.

@Paul - I did the same, really need to get out of the mindset that stealth has anything to do with this beyond the MGS link.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!